At the Movies

Options
Went to the movies today and I was thinking what kind of foods are "safe" at the movies....

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Safe to get at the theater or safe to sneak in? I never buy movie theater concessions, but I do bring a Luna Bar or something to snack on in my purse.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I went the other day and had popcorn. I worked my butt off at the gym for that popcorn too. So wasn't worth it!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Bring something...I'm going on Tuesday and I'm bringing:

Met-RX protein bar
    5 Fiber One granola bars
    1 Cliff bar
    56 g of Almonds
    Bottle of water

I know it seems like a lot but I eat that amount of calories as my 4th meal normally and the movie is during that time.
  • RubberBandBear
    Options
    I'd like to know this too. I have a movie outing this Sunday and am wondering if I should risk buying their over-priced snacks or risk sneaking in my own. As much as I love popcorn I don't have to worry about falling into temptation though because their popcorn sucks!
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    All foods are safe as long as you work them into your daily figures

I use the word safe loosely so nobody jumps down my throat about chemicals, processed food..etc. Just quoting the OP
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Don't think I could have gone to the movies today after what happened last night... as for foods, I would bring my own, or just indulge and work it off later, or count it as a spike day and move on.
  • T_Higbee
    T_Higbee Posts: 3
    Options
    Yea, I would bring something. Same thing happened to me the last time I went. I ended up not eating ne thing. LOL
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There is nothing "safe" at the food counters at the theaters. Better off to bring your own healthy snacks. And you'll save a ton of money as well.

Although, eating safe foods at a theater now seems like the least of our worries. Best to wear a bulletproof vest.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    HMPFf!

enjoy something at the movies, i say. Fit it into your calories for the day...on days i SMASH things at the gym, there is plenty of room.
  • Tyler477
    Tyler477 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    55 grams unpopped popcorn popped in air popper
    7 grams melted butter (trust me this is all you need)
    1/2 tsp salt

= 230 calories, tastes great too! I throw em 2 big ziplocks and bring em in my GF's purse

I think it comes down to how you eat the corn too, savor the taste of the butter and this amount will last you thru the film.

(optional)
    1 serving raisins mixed in (130 cals more)
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of bringing your own snacks is wonderful and I've certainly done that on occasion. I'll also have a meal before I go to the movies so I'm just not hungry when I get there. If you are one that just HAS to have the popcorn/soda experience (like me if I didn't have a meal first) you might want to check to see if your theatre has a "kids pack" of some kind. My local theatre (Regal) has an off-menu kids pack that's around $5. You get a reasonable amount of popcorn (about 3 cups), and kid size drink, and fruit gummies. It may not be perfect but the price and reduced volume of junk work for me. Work it into your daily goals and you should be fine.
  • angrykitty13
    angrykitty13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I try to eat before going to the movies because I'm against paying for movie theater snacks--way too expensive for minimal quality. (I'm a bit of a food snob.) If I were you, I'd eat something before going and, at the most, buy a bottle of water or maybe a drink. Then you won't be distracted by the film by eating. :)

Although I struggle to follow this advice when I go to the second-run theater by my house that sells local microbrews. :)
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i'm never hungry at the theater but if I was I would bring a protein bar or nuts or something like that

What I DO want is a coffee because I'm always frozen in the theater, so I usually get an XL decaf coffee with splenda and two cream.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I would eat before or after. When you eat in the dark, while distracted, you don't really get to enjoy your food.

When I do get something, it's usually only a diet soda or fruit snacks.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Or just enjoy the movie without eating anything. Sure, it may be a tough habit to break, but it's worth it to not feel like movie = eat (and from there you can get back to just hunger = eat).

[MFP flame suit on]...and...go.
  • agbarash
    agbarash Posts: 7
    Options
    "All foods are safe as long as you work them into your daily figures

I use the word safe loosely so nobody jumps down my throat about chemicals, processed food..etc. Just quoting the OP "

Not to be a troll or anything, but recently I read a health article stating that certain popcorn have hydrogenated oils, aka trans fats. Most of the time, from my experience, movie theaters tend to sell really tasty popcorn, so odds are that is has trans fat in it. Trans fat, as far a I know, is not NATURALLY produced by the body, and it is extremely harmful to the body in any amount (hence why daily allowed limit is <0 g a day by FDA for a 2,000 kcal diet).

Before, I usually got soda at the movies. After actually adding it to my food diary in MFP, turns out I was getting around 100-120 g of sugar from just ONE 32 oz. soda!! That is ridiculous!

Soda is "safe" to me, taken in extreme moderation (around 16-20 oz a day most), but anything that has trans fat is not "safe;" therefore, I would highly recommend not getting popcorn at the theaters, and if you do get soda, watch yourself to make sure you don't drink all of it.

For me, personally, I love sneaking in Greek yogurt. Although it has around 15 g of sugar (better than soda though right??), it has protein too, so not just empty sugar-carbs. You can buy one for like...$1.4 from Walmart, and yogurt comes in many different, great-tasting flavors! Its easy to sneak in too! Studies have shown (if I recall correctly, from University of Texas) that people who eat yogurt daily are 81% more likely to lose weight and keep more lean muscle.

So skip on the popcorn and soda, and just sneak in a small water bottle and 1-2 yogurts! Just my two cents :)