I stink! :(

Options
literally lol .. when i use deodorant my arm pits break out in a CRAZY huge itchy red rash (not sexy) so i got that crystal deodorant that you wet and rub on.. but it BURNS my skin .. it honestly feels like im rubbing fire on to my arm pit ... i have tried not shaving and seeing if the skin was just irritated but that doesn't help .. it burns like heck no matter what ...

sooo at this point my options are red & itchy from regular deodorant
OR
burn baby burn from the crystal deodorant ...

any other ideas???

i CANT not put deodorant im working out FAR to hard for that .. i would smell horrible!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the other natural deoderants, like Tom's?

Or try searching for a homemade variety, like this one: http://www.crunchybetty.com/not-a-secret-homemade-deodorant
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Certain-Dri is an antiperspirant that is different than other products. It works REALLY well, too.
    Maybe check it out?

It's a roll-on liquid that you use before bedtime. I used it a couple years ago, and my armpits just don't even produce sweat anymore.
  • Jen_Edwards
    Jen_Edwards Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I found when I wore Adidas deoderant this also would happen to me. (however; it was only adidas). I use Speed Stick and I'm fine.. I guess you are just going to need to find one that best suits you.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    There's a billion different deodorants out there. Try different ones until you find one that you don't react to. It took a while for me, Degree is what I use now. The clear stuff always caused rashes regardless of brand.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You're reacting to the deodorant...maybe a scent or something else in it. You need to let your skin heal before using a new kind. Once it heals, try another brand, or a natural kind and see if it's better.
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. I became allergic to all deodarants after my pregnancies. I use baby powder. You could try something like that.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. I became allergic to all deodarants after my pregnancies. I use baby powder. You could try something like that.

Second that.

Back in the day, people used baby powder, which I think is why every deodorant brand has a powder-type scent that they put out. Just dust some under your arms, will keep you dry, and will moderately help with the stink. (Depends how bad you stink :smile: )
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Toms of Maine? I hear good things.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you're allergic to antiperspirant? I use my boyfriends deodorant that doesn't have antiperspirant. Btw, have you noticed you can never find women's deodorant that doesn't have an antiperspirant? SMH.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Also, are you allergic to deodorants or antiperspirants? You might just do a little experiment to see if it is products that only have deodorant or if it is products with antiperspirant.

Good luck!
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    Is it possible you're allergic to antiperspirant? I use my boyfriends deodorant that doesn't have antiperspirant. Btw, have you noticed you can never find women's deodorant that doesn't have an antiperspirant? SMH.
    I'm not a woman, but I am also allergic to antiperspirants so I have never used them. Not that I am recommending any brand but this above poster has an idea.
  • taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to antiperspirant. I would break out pretty bad from it. I was using mens deodorant for a while but smelling like a man isn't attractive.. I found some ADIDAS womens deodorant with cotton technology. Thats what the lid says anyways. The crystal stuff didnt work for me and the Toms didnt either.

The thing with womens deodorant is, it usually has antiperspirant in it. The main ingredient is Aluminum zir..... something. Try avoiding that ingredient. Thats what the doctor told me I was allergic too.

The ADIDAS stuff has worked wonders for me. I found it at Fred Meyers. If you try it and it works for you, buy in bulk!! I have bought 8 at a time once. I did not want to run out or risk the store running out!!
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Or try searching for a homemade variety, like this one: http://www.crunchybetty.com/not-a-secret-homemade-deodorant

This! I've gotten a rash from EVERY commercial deodorant I've tried (sometimes I can use a new brand for a while and it'll be fine, but eventually my pits rebel), and almost every natural deodorant too. I THINK that for me, I'm probably sensitive to propylene glycol (which is in most natural brands, as well as most congenital brands), but in any case, I feel your pain!

I finally started using Kiss My Face Liquid Rock (basically a liquid form of the crystal I think), and while it never gave me a rash, it didn't work all that great either. Wy better than nothing, but still some stink after a long or hot day.

Finakly I tried making my own deodorant, and it is, BY FAR, the best thing I have ever used!

I use:
    6 T. Coconut oil
    1/4 C. Baking soda
    1/4 C. Arrowroot powder (I used to use cornstarch instead, but I like the arrowroot much better)
    20+ drops pure Tea Tree oil (make sure it's the real stuff! I accidentally used fragrance oil the first time and it totally didn't work)
    10-20 drops other essential oils (mainly for scent. I like lavender, pepermint, or grapefruit)

If the coconut oil is solid, melt it down in the microwave or in a small pot on the stove. Mix everything together and pour into a clean, empty deodorant container (or a small jar).
    Thesis deodorant will be soft-liquid at room temp. It still works fine, but is a little more mess to apply (and might separate, needing to be stirred before use). I like it to stay solid, so I just keep it in the fridge, on the door, and it is perfect!
    The main tip I can give is to NOT use too much! One or two quick swipes (if cold from the fridge), or a pea sized amount, is plenty! Using too much will leave a white residue, and can cause irritation. Also, some people are sensitive to the baking soda, and will use a different ratio (1:2:3, baking soda : arrowroot : coconut oil) to solve that problem.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I agree that it sounds like you are allergic to the antiperspirant component. I'd talk to a dermatologist, there are actually prescription deodorants you can get that are hypoallergenic (and apparently more effective)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options

CrunchyBetty is great.

Lemon Juice also works as a deodorant, not antiperspirant though if you're looking for that.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think I heard somebody talking about using baby powder once. Never tried it and I'm not sure how well it would work, but it might be worth a try.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem with the itchy rash from some anti-perspirants. Degree works for me with no problems. I never identified exactly what it was I was reacting to, but it sure was nice when it went away.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    i see someone recommended baking soda...it works even when used on its own, or mixed with talcum powder.

if the fragrance is what's causing the reaction (my son has super sensitive skin - i had to use special soap on his clothes even) then baby powder might be irritating. talcum is unscented, generally.

i agree w/ the poster who said to let it heal first before trying other types. no matter what you put on, it will cause irritation if the original problem doesn't heal first. baking soda (or soda mixed with powder) temporarily and cleaning it every night should help.
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Ah you sound very allergic!
    Talk to a doctor they can help :) If you find a nice one they might be able to even tell you an OTC one that is cheaper that will work for you!

Best of luck