Calories burned when teaching

Options
I can't figure out how to log calories burned while teaching. I make sure that I stand, walk and talk when students are in the room. Any suggestions? The database doesn't let you add anything on exercise.

Replies

• cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    One step up from sedentary would be my guess. MFP will give you an adjusted goal with a deficit already built in. You don't need to add in "teaching cals" as cardiovascular exercise each day.
  • griega
    griega Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you!
  • rbrashear68
    Options
    One step up from sedentary would be my guess. MFP will give you an adjusted goal with a deficit already built in. You don't need to add in "teaching cals" as cardiovascular exercise each day.

I agree with this! Look at it this way. Eat like you are totally sedentary and then any exercise you do get will speed the process! Even the strength training I do 4-5/wk doesn't count towards my calories burned unless I'm doing cardio.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous poster .... I sit at a desk ... so I'm sedentary. If your job is standing ... you are 1 step up from sedentary.

You would not log exercise calories IF you change your activity status ... that would be "doubling" up your calories.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I add 75 calories per hour if I'm constantly on my feet. I'm just stewarding at events, but with that am on my feet constantly (we're not allowed to sit and my shifts can be 12hrs some times), talking to customers and having to occasionally walk them to places so pretty similar in terms of activity I would think. I got the 75 calories from googling calories burned calculators and seeing what the 'standing' amount was. It's generally around 75 - 150 calories for my weight and height and seems quite reasonable, although I err on the side of caution and go with the lowest amount, as after a 12hr shift, that would add 900 calories to my day! I'm maintaining at the moment so don't eat back my calories as I'm eating 1700-1900 anyway unless it is a 12hr shift in which case I do eat about half of them, but doing this I have yet to gain or lose so it seems pretty accurate to me.

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/calories_burned.asp

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm
  • cmp_denver
    cmp_denver Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you get a fitbit and integrate it with MFP it will calculate your steps and add extra calories accordingly.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I also teach and this is what I do... it works well for me.
  • griega
    Options
    Now that's cool. One less thing I would have to worry about. I will look into this.
  • griega
    Options
    Thanks all, great input!