Shin Splints - Help

Options
bwdcjk
bwdcjk Posts: 96 Member
I think that is what they are called - pain in the shins common in runners I think. Anyway I am doing 30DS (Level 1, Day 6 today) and have been having some some pain in my right shin during the cardio portions (jumping jacks, butt kicks, jumping rope). Usually I can ease up on that side - put more weight on other leg and get thru it. Today it was major pain in both shins. So much I could barely get through the workout. I assume these are shin splints. What can I do to avoid them or recover from them? I am thinking rest but I don't want to take a break from the workout. I want to do it in 30 consecutive days.

Replies

• kerriclogs
    kerriclogs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    rest, ice and get new shoes - serious shin splints take a long time to heal
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the answer for you. :-( sorry you are having pain!!!!!
  • kturner2012
    Options
    Try to massage in the arch of your foot. When pressing on that area, there should be severe pain - probably as severe as the shin splint pain. My husband I started a new workout about 3 months ago and he had terrible problems for the first couple of weeks. One of our trainers massaged the bottom of his foot with a lacross ball after one of the workouts. We then did the same every morning and every evening for a few days. We have continued to work out and he hasn't had any problems since. Our trainer said that the tendons were tight in his foot, which then pulled on his shins. Maybe this will help you.
  • Christine_Bean
    Options
    The RICE method is helpful in recovering from injuries. Rest...you may need to take a day or two off. Ice...ice your shins for 15 to 20 minutes several (4-6) times a day for a couple days. Compression...a neoprene sleeve or a wrap may feel better on your shins. Elevate...keep your shins above your heart, especially at night. How are your arches? Do you have flat feet? You may benefit from an arch support insert in your shoes. If your muscles feel tight you may want to keep a can of fruit in your freezer then roll your feet over it in the morning. Also, how old are your shoes? The rubber in shoes weakens over time (even if the shoes haven't been used much) and it weakens with use. You may need to get a new pair of shoes with a little better support.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I suffered these as a runner in high school. What I did was ice them. It hurts just as bad but helps ultimately. Also, look into a great pair of running shoes. And of course rest them a few days and see if it helps.
  • bwdcjk
    bwdcjk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Still having trouble with shin pain but I don't want to stop 30DS cuz 1) I am committed to doing it 30 consecutive days and 2) I am seeing results. This morning on my drive to work I remembered there is a part in 30DS, when your doing the punches, where Jillian says those are a great way to get cardio in if you have any kind of lower body injury. So it dawned on me then I can still do 30DS and just do punches for cardio when the other stuff hurts too much. I am also going to try other suggestions I have gotten like shoe inserts and a compression sleeve. Anything to keep going!
  • amyd1128
    amyd1128 Posts: 1
    Options
    I suffer from them too, sometimes so badly you can actually see the swelling by my shins and to touch them is painful. Ice and elevate is the best method and taking a break from strenuous activity. Also, go to a good sports store and get fitted for the correct sneaker. Once I switched my sneakers, they haven't been as bad as they have in the past. I run and kickbox, and my shins have taken a beating the past 2 weeks. Today taking a break and tomorrow I'll use the elliptical at the gym so I still get the workout but ease up on my legs. Good luck!
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 DS too and usually have to stop or do something else during the butt kicks because my shins hurt so bad. I'm uncomfotable during the jumping jacks and jump ropes but the butt kicks are the most painful. I'll also look at supplmenting them with the punches and try to kick it up a notch. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep them coming if you have them.
  • DrJamesStoxenDC
    Options
    What I have found is that shin splints are usually a result of impacts that are not absorbed well.

Here are 3 video tutorials that will show you deep tissue treatments to help release some spasms in your foot and shins that may be causing or resulting from this hard landing.

Video Tutorial #75 The Deep Tissue Treatment Dr. James Stoxen DC Uses For Shin Splints

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/05/25/video-tutorial-video-tutorial-75-the-deep-tissue-treatment-dr-james-stoxen-dc-uses-for-shin-splints/

Video Tutorial #80 Dr James Stoxen DC Demonstrates How To Self-Help Deep Tissue Treatment Of The Subtalar Joint Of The Ankle On The Inside.

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2011/08/01/video-tutorial-80-dr-james-stoxen-dc-demonstrates-how-to-self-help-deep-tissue-treatment-of-the-subtalar-joint-of-the-ankle/

Video Tutorial #81 Dr James Stoxen DC Demonstrates How To Self-Help Deep Tissue Treatment Of The Ankle (Subtalar Joint Outside)
    http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2011/08/03/video-tutorial-81-dr-james-stoxen-dc-demonstrates-how-to-self-help-deep-tissue-treatment-of-the-subtalar-joint-of-the-ankle/

Video Tutorial #87 Dr James Stoxen DC Demonstrates Self-Help Deep Tissue Of The Ankle Mortise
    http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2011/08/10/video-tutorial-87-dr-james-stoxen-dc-demonstrates-self-help-deep-tissue-of-the-ankle-mortise/

Here are my last two articles you might find helpful:

How Does The Body Spring Back Safely From Impacts Of Running and Walking?

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/06/13/video-tutorial-12-is-running-bad-for-knees-how-the-body-springs-back-safely-from-impacts-of-running/

Self-Tests & Exercises To Reduce Over Pronation and Over Supination From Impacts During Walking and Running

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/06/18/video-tutorial-28-the-impact-absorbing-landing-muscles-of-the-human-spring-mechanism-testing-and-training-the-spring-suspension-muscles/

Dr James Stoxen DC, President, Team Doctors The Barefoot Running Doctor
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I've been dealing with shin splints, and aside from rest, ice and new (properly fitted) shoes, I also bought some compression sleeves to wear while running and jump roping. Mine are from CEP. They are a little pricey, but worth it.
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    So, I suffered from them while running in the military. I was told by a military gym trainer that it is a membrane around the shin muscle that is stretching from the extra blood flow. He told me to do toe lifts any time I was just standing. Simply alternate lifting your toes off the ground. This will strengthen that muscle and stretch the membrane around. All I can say is that it worked. Haven't had them since.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    So, I suffered from them while running in the military. I was told by a military gym trainer that it is a membrane around the shin muscle that is stretching from the extra blood flow. He told me to do toe lifts any time I was just standing. Simply alternate lifting your toes off the ground. This will build that muscle and stretch the membrane around. All I can say is that it worked. Haven't had them since.

I've never heard that before. I'm going to try it! Thanks for sharing!
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that before. I'm going to try it! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome, I hope it helps!!

24101214.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I had them so bad when I did 30DS that I couldn't even walk for a day. It took a good month to heal and occasionally I still have pain in my left shin. I have been doing the toe lifts and spelling out the abcs with my toe in the air. Motrin and ice help too. Good luck!
  • Pengylicious
    Pengylicious Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and from experience, when you get shin splints it is a sign to stop straight away. If you don't they can take a long time to heal (a year or more) and will keep recurring. You need to strengthen your lower legs gradually- you are probably doing too much too soon. You might need to add some walking and some strengthening excercises into your routine. If you don't want to stop your workouts you could try spinning (cycling on an indoor bike alternating between intervals of intense and less intense work) or deep water running?
  • crush86
    crush86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I had them when I played soccer years ago...My Dr made me give up playing because they had gotten so bad they turned to stress fractures...I would stop the workout and see a Dr to really see how bad they are. Other than that...try heat and ice and an anti-inflammatory.
  • sera799
    sera799 Posts: 9
    Options
    I suffered with shin splints when I first started jump rope and running. My kickboxing sensei simply gave me a mat to stand on when I'm doing jump rope and 30DS. I didn't rest my shins, I simply used the softness of the mat to build up the muscle around the shin splints, and after 2 weeks they stopped hurting. I worked through the pain, not often recommended but it worked for me.
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    run barefoot (if running indoors). it requires a different technique than when you wear trainers but you will never get injuries if you do it right.