Fish - how to make it fun?

Options
mandy_lee86
mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
My personal trainer has me on a meal plan that consists of eating fish every night for dinner. I can have any type of fish. Does anyone have any suggetions for how to make fish fun? I'm tired of what i've tried so far and need new ways to "spice" it up so I don't get bored.

Replies

• rininger85
    rininger85 Posts: 131
    Options
    buy some zatarain's breading and coat the fish with it and pan fry it in just a little bit of canola oil or butter (substitute whatever oil you find acceptable, won't need a lot of it though so it doesn't get real greasy)... the Zatarain's has a really good flavor to their battery - a little southern / cajun flavor...

my other trusty stand by is buy canned salmon and make salmon patties - 1 can of salmon, 1 egg and 1/2 a roll of saltine crackers... remove the bones from the canned salmon (they are small and edible, but I remove them just because most people freak out about them, but the bigger bones will crunch up and not even know its there, it's just crunchy like the crackers)... break up the salmon, crunch up the saltines and add the egg, mix it all up good (I just use my hands and keep squishing it all together to make sure its mixed good) then make patties out of them and cook them in a pan or on a skillet (NO GREASE! not needed!)
  • DivaSophia
    DivaSophia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Baken in oven in foil packet: Old Bay seasoning with a little lemon juice and olive oil cooking spray spray on top Once it's out top with Mango Salsa I would suggest Tilapia.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Simple.... Tilapia...apple cider vinegar about 2 tbsp unless you want a bit more....and Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper seasoning. Low cal-low fat-NO sodium. :) Diet friendly. Put the thawed fish in a skillet put a little ACV on it, then sprinkle the seasoning on it. Cover the skillet with a lid to hold all the moisture and flavor in and plus it'll cook quicker. :happy:
  • LeslePG
    LeslePG Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just made tilapia for dinner! Sprayed the filets with a little spray margaine, then sprinkled some cajun seasoning (love Emeril's Bayou Blast!) It was delish!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Capers! I love capers on my fish. You can make a little sauce with lemon juice, chicken broth and capers.

Edit to add I do this with salmon and cod.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

Thank you for sharing this great information:):)
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Smoked fish! Smoked cod, tilapia, salmon.. all delicious. I make it in large amounts and freeze some for later.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You just need 3 ingredients:

the first is an envelope/seasoning packet you find on the spices aisle. It's called White Chicken Chili, and it has all the spices/flour.etc. to season white chicken chili. Red envelope, I believe it's made my McCormick.

The second ingredient is made by a lot of different companies, it's sweet chili sauce. Mine is made by Mae Ploy, but Frank's also makes it, and you can also get it at Trader Joe's.

Third: Yoshida's Teriyaki marinade. Get this anywhere. Costco, regular grocery store. You can use whatever kind of teriyaki, but Yoshida's is my favorite.

Pour a little Yoshida's into the bottom of the baking dish. Place the fish filets on top of the Yoshida's. Sprinkle the top of the fish with the white chicken chili powder, until the pieces are well coated. Each packet lasts me two dinners' worth.

Bake the fish in the oven at 400 until it is almost finished. A nice thick piece of salmon stays in for about 20 minutes, smaller/thinner pieces like rockfish or catfish can be nearly done in just ten minutes. Pull it out of the oven.

Turn the broiler on high.

Pour the sweet chili sauce over the fish. Make sure to moisten any places where the powder-coating is still dry. Put it back in the oven, on the top rack right next to the broiler, for 5 minutes, just enough to finish off the fish and get the sauce bubbly.

That's it. If you can't find the White Chicken Chili powder, you can use a couple tbsp of cumin with a tbsp of flour, and the taste is pretty similar.

This recipe gets rave reviews from everyone I have ever served it to....even fish haters.
  • grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    put it in a vegetable steamer and steam it, I like to put some lemon juice and fresh herbs in the water to sort of infuse it into the fish, always turns out really delicate
  • CatyWebb
    CatyWebb Posts: 2
    Options
    I have tons of fish recipes, but I think your personal trainer is incorrect to suggest fish every day. That can lead to mercury poisoning and diet failure. You get sick of fish and quit the diet. Variety is key, low fat, good protein, sure, but if you eat the same thing every day, it gets old. I'd go with fish 3 to 4 times a week, but fish every day seems completely over the top, not to mention extreme, and those type diets rarely work. I'd try blackened or sauteed fish tacos with shredded cabbage with good pico de gallo and low fat corn tortillas, or smoked salmon on smashed avocado on sourdough or wheatberry toast, or try this marinade: lemon zest from 1 lemon, juice from one lemon plus enough lemon juice to total 1/4 cup. 1 T Worcestershire sauce or low sodium soy sauce, 1 T water, 2 cloves garlic, and marinade for 30 min. Roast until internal temp is 140 or until it's barely cooked through. I think the key to good fish is not overcooking the life out of fish. I use my probe thermometer and set the alarm for 140 and when it goes off it's done. Salmon is particularly good with this marinade.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I have tons of fish recipes, but I think your personal trainer is incorrect to suggest fish every day. That can lead to mercury poisoning and diet failure. You get sick of fish and quit the diet. Variety is key, low fat, good protein, sure, but if you eat the same thing every day, it gets old. I'd go with fish 3 to 4 times a week, but fish every day seems completely over the top, not to mention extreme, and those type diets rarely work. I'd try blackened or sauteed fish tacos with shredded cabbage with good pico de gallo and low fat corn tortillas, or smoked salmon on smashed avocado on sourdough or wheatberry toast, or try this marinade: lemon zest from 1 lemon, juice from one lemon plus enough lemon juice to total 1/4 cup. 1 T Worcestershire sauce or low sodium soy sauce, 1 T water, 2 cloves garlic, and marinade for 30 min. Roast until internal temp is 140 or until it's barely cooked through. I think the key to good fish is not overcooking the life out of fish. I use my probe thermometer and set the alarm for 140 and when it goes off it's done. Salmon is particularly good with this marinade.

I am drooling I never thought of smoked salmon with avocado but now I have to try it. I will try your marinade it looks great too.

I think you are right fish everyday seems like a bit much.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    are you allowed salmon? I loooooooooooove salmon baked on it's own

or to make it even better, I would suggest placing the salmon in some foil, place sliced lemon on top with dill, salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or so.

SO FREAKIN GOOD! yummm... I want that for dinner now.