I have a small problem.

Options
I am currently in between a size 18 dress and a size 16 dress. I am a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding in NOVEMBER and I am supposed to order my dress within the next two/three weeks.

One problem. I am trying to get down to a size 16 and I have 3 inches left to lose on my hips before I can fit (my bust and waist are a perfect size 16 already, ugh). However, I also would like to be a size 14 before November rolls around and I feel as if it's possible.

Can I go from a size between 18 and 16 to a size 14 before November? Should I order a size 16 or 14? Is it possible? Or would I be setting myself up for failure?

According to the website sizing chart:

My current measurements:
Bust: 44
Waist: 36
Hips: 49

Size 16 dress measurements:
Bust: 43
Waist: 36
Hips: 46

Size 14 measurements:
Bust: 41
Waist: 34
Hips: 44

Replies

• carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    IF it were me, I would go with the 16 , and you can have it taken in if you lose more weight. it's a ton easier to get it taken in than let out.
  • QuixoticPanda
    QuixoticPanda Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That is what my friend told me. I wasn't sure if it would be a big deal to take in that much, or ruin the quality of the dress.

I don't dress shop ever.
  • risingphoenix12
    Options
    I suggest that you order larger, and have to pay to take the dress in versus having a dress that you can't fit in. I hope you are able to take it in to a 14 by Nov :)
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree with carrinaj to go with the larger size. Years ago, I ordered the smaller size and they had to add pieces to my bridesmaid dress. Talk about a stressed out bride!
    (Unless of course you could order both and pick whatever fits you at the time)
    Good luck!
  • kwheelock
    kwheelock Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just recently made a very similar decision. I too am in a friend's wedding in October and I sure as heck hope to be smaller than I am now by that time. My measurements hit a size 20 (European size - US is an 18...I did cringe a little though when I heard that), but definitely plan to have it taken in when it arrives in 8 weeks. Luckily the place we got our dresses charges the same amount for alterations whether you're taking in a small amount or a larger amount. My advice would be to go with the larger size and get it altered later. Hope this helps!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    IF it were me, I would go with the 16 , and you can have it taken in if you lose more weight. it's a ton easier to get it taken in than let out.
    ^^this
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    order the one you can almost fit into now and have it taken in to meet your needs in November.

November is months away... you can do SO MUCH good for your body during that time!! :bigsmile: You can do it!
  • QuixoticPanda
    QuixoticPanda Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I'm going to go with the size 16. :) Seems like the less stressful option!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I agree with this, and this is what I would do. I would rather have something be a tad to big, than something to tight and uncomfortable. Last thing you want is to split the material at a wedding! Good luck with your goals!!
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just did this. Last November I tried on a 14 in David's Bridal, two weeks ago, I tried on the 8 and it was loose :) It can definitely be done to lose two sizes by then. I ordered the 6 because I tried on the 6 in another style (didn't have the size in the right style) and the 6 fit fine. I hope the 6 will have to be taken in by then, but if not, I know that if I maintain this weight, the 6 will be fine.

Definitely order the size slightly larger than you think you'll need and then pay to have it taken in.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    That is what my friend told me. I wasn't sure if it would be a big deal to take in that much, or ruin the quality of the dress.

I don't dress shop ever.

When you order the dress, explain your situation to the dress shop. Ask them if it will compromise the dress to take it in a size when you get down to a 14. Most places are used to doing last minute tailoring - especially in regards to weddings. This way, you'll have a dress that isn't too tight in some areas and baggy in others.
  • AMaccar
    AMaccar Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree. Think of it this way - even if you are a 14 by November - when you have the dress taken in, it will be more tailored for you. You can edit the hemline, or adjust a fit through the bodice or sleeve. You can have it taken in where it will suit you best.

I also recommend talking to your seamstress about how to "unbridesmaid" the dress after for another use. (How can you alter it to make it more yours?)

Good luck.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Depending on the fabric and construction it can be impossible to make a dress bigger without inserting pieces that may look way out of place and make the dress look different than everyone elses. When in doubt, buy larger since it gives the seamstress some fabric to work with. It depends on the fit of the dress as to what measurements are the most crucial to consider. If the skirt is more flared, hips may not matter as much. I would order what you need to fit right now. If you get smaller that is great and the seamstress will have enough fabric to work with. If you don't lose weight then you have a dress that will work. I'm not a prof. wedding alterations person but have altered and sewn my share of wedding dresses (yes, my first wedding dress I made, complete with train) and brides maid dresses.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options

I don't dress shop ever.

Normally I would also say go with the larger size, it's not big deal to have it taken in (I've got a ridiculous number of bridesmaid dresses lol) my only caution would be if there is heavy beading or pattern just double check with the ladies at the dress shop!
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Dresses are easy to take in, difficult to let out. Get the bigger one. Trust me.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Buy it so it fits you now and alter it smaller. Avoid beads or ribbons that rely on body space to look good.