OUCH! JM's 30 DS and super sore neck!

Options
Well, I made through level one, whew! On to level two. I have to say I'm super proud of myself. I don't think I've made it through 10 consecutive days of ANYTHING! So, Wednesday was my fist day of level 2, I got through it okay, following Anita of course. When I woke Thursday morning I was in pain, like serious pain. So I took a day off, but I'm still sore and not sure what to do.

Here's the issue: My neck muscles feel too tight and I have very little range of motion. I don't feel like I've pulled something. It's more like I slept wrong, except for two days! I've tried stretching and ibuprofen, but I'm still feeling it today. My question for all you experienced fitness pals is if I should continue to workout? Level two is tough and really focuses on your shoulders, so it could just be plain old stiffness right?

Is anyone else doing JM's 30 day shred? if so, what set backs have you encountered and how did you overcome them?

Replies

• ALISHAWILLIAMSON
    ALISHAWILLIAMSON Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    ****CHIRP,CHIRP*** LOL, Anyone?
  • kcrenshaw2005
    kcrenshaw2005 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes I completed JM 30 ds last week! The only sore places I had were my legs with all those workouts. And yes I know what you mean with sore neck......try not to use your neck when doing the 1min abs. That's why she says to put your hands behind your ears and look at the ceiling. I helps not move/use your neck muscles, as she says in the dvd. Once I realized what she meant, I noticed I wasn't using my neck, while I was before.
  • ALISHAWILLIAMSON
    ALISHAWILLIAMSON Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes I completed JM 30 ds last week! The only sore places I had were my legs with all those workouts. And yes I know what you mean with sore neck......try not to use your neck when doing the 1min abs. That's why she says to put your hands behind your ears and look at the ceiling. I helps not move/use your neck muscles, as she says in the dvd. Once I realized what she meant, I noticed I wasn't using my neck, while I was before.
    Thanks for the ONLY reply...lol. I will keep that in mind! CONGRATULATIONS, She's tough! My legs were killing me the first few days of level one, but I think I've built enough muscle tone now to get through the legs. My arms and shoulders were killing me on day 2 of level 2. I've still got another 16 days to go! CONGRATS again on finishing it!
  • twindus09
    twindus09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat...after I woke up the next day after starting level one I really thought I did sleep wrong. So i slept on my other side to try and relieve the pain but it didn't work. But I was determined not to quit excercising so I continued on. I pushed through the pain and it has actually subsided alot. I still am a little stiff when I turn my head to the right but I am sure it will completely go away in the next few days.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Another tip is to put your tongue on the oof of your mouth when doing crunches. I personally find it useless but others may find it beneficial in neck strain

My main sore area were the shoulders, the anterior raises in level 1 and Y raises in level 2 were a challenge, I considered swapping my 3kg dumbells for lighter weights for those moves but stuck with them and glad I did.

Maybe in the cool down add a few neck stretches to help :)
  • jessjphillips
    jessjphillips Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but I've woken up this morning with the same problem, midway through level 2. It's so bizarre - I've never had such a sore neck before and I've done the shred before so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.. Also I actually skipped yesterday (Which I feel really bad about, I was doing so well!) so I don't know if my sore neck is even related to the shred or not.. any advice?