SUGARS SUGARS SUGARS!!!

Options
Aggravating!!! They are pretty much in every food!!! I decided last night that I was going to add them into my daily diary and I go over EVERY DAY!!! GRRRR...my goal is 1600 cals and I eat about 1200 per day. Is this really going to affect my weight loss goal?? I have been eating more fruit than usual lately and I cant give up my chocolate so I bought those fiber brownie bars...this is going to be a lot harder than I thought!!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Is this really going to affect my weight loss goal??

Assuming you don't have any medical conditions that would cause you to limit your sugar/carb intake, no
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No I have nothing...
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, your tracking carbs all ready, having sugars there as well seem redundant if you don't have a reason to.

Is 1600 MFP's goal for you to lose so much a day?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, your tracking carbs all ready, having sugars there as well seem redundant if you don't have a reason to.

Is 1600 MFP's goal for you to lose so much a day?

Tottal agree. No need to track sugar. Just work within your carb macro.
  • jwilllose
    jwilllose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just discovered sugars too and I've been every day apparently. I lost 60 lbs on WW before coming to MFP and my eating is pretty much the same so in my experience, I've been able to maintain a healthy weight by going over on sugar so I'm not really worrying too much about it.
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to undereat, if MFP says you need 1600 you should try get near it. If you under eat too much for too long your metabolism will slow down.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I am over on sugar by quite a bit everyday and am losing steadily every week.
  • Lollliiipopzzzz
    Options
    The only thing sugar does for me is make me crave more sugar, which leads to extra calories. If that's not an issue for you, then don't worry about it.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1600 calories to eat per day...and in a usual day I eat 1200...
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My plan for today is looking like 51g of sugar. Only 6g of that will be added sugar and there's no way for sugar to sneak into my food as I everything has been cooked from scratch and the prepared foods (passata, beef stock) are free of added sugars.

So where's my sugar coming from? Well, the cottage pie I make certainly doesn't have any sugar, but I do use a little passata in the sauce as well as sweet potato, red capsicum and carrots. Delicious sugary vegetables. Some people are against them.

My stirfry has a whole 15g of sugar! 3 of it comes from the head of broccoli I'll put in, but 7g of that comes from, again, a red capsicum.

Then there's the 200g of strawberries and 10 cherries coming in at 9g of sugar each! So I suppose I could cut down the sweet vegetables and eliminate fruit and dark chocolate and only eat a small amount of sugar. But given how nutritious and yummy today's diet is, why would I bother?

Tbh, I see nothing wrong with eating sugar as long as eating it fits into day's calories but if you want to cut down on the sugar, why not switch to really dark chocolate? It's absolutely delicious and fairly low in sugar. Failing that, what about chocolate covered nuts? You get fibre, protein, all sorts of good nut nutrients, and a little bit of chocolate to satisfy cravings. Whether or not you eat all your calories is your own choice. If you're losing weight and going to bed each night feeling sated rather than resentful and hungry, then go for it! Personally, though, I'd choose to use those extra calories to add the dark chocolate and nuts, or maybe even a small piece of yummy cheese to my diet.