New here.. looking for friends and great advice

Options
:smile: I am Anne, just turned 47, recently i quit smoking because i wanted a better and healthier lifestyle for myself. I am about 40 lbs over weight so my goal is to loose that and strengthen my tummy. That seems to be my problem area. If anyone knows any good excersizes for that it would be greatly appreciated if u share... Hope to meet some new friends and have some fun loosing weight. Thank you Nicole for showing me this site... I love you

Replies

• dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on quitting smoking!! I've been there and know what a tough chore that was! Pretty much just starting here myself. I'm walking/biking and have just started core strengthening. Mostly just crunches, leg lifts and twists. Need to shed some weight first. Add me if you like!
  • mystic65
    mystic65 Posts: 10
    Options
    Quitting smoking was a very big thing for me.... the smoking is what caused me to stop excersizing... Now i am ready to get back at it... and ty for adding me.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    You can add me as well if you'd like :) Welcome to MFP
  • smackadoodle
    smackadoodle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'd would love a new friend who wants to focus on exercise but is not a 20 something who can do things my body has to grow into. Or maybe can't do!!
    Congratulation for giving up smoking.
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP.. It's a good site and you will get alot of support and motivation here.. I also am trying to firm up my tummy .I will keep a eye on your posting for some suggestions. Congrats!! On the quitting smoking also.:happy:Feel free to add me..
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP!

MFP is a really great resource to keep you focused and connect you with a wealth of fitness resources and like minded folks.

1. Log your foods every day - don't skip days, or parts of your day. log everything!
    2. Analyze each day - see where it went good and where it went bad - too much fat? maybe too many carbs? over the calorie limit? Identify and plan how to correct it for tomorrow.
    3. Reach out to the community with questions or advice needs.
    4. Build a network of friends here!
    5. Lastly, do not believe everything you read here. There is a lot of great advice, but also some misleading and hype type advice. Part of getting fit is educating yourself in aspects of health and fitness. Make sure any questionable advice is looked at with a scientific eye and look for facts, evidence, and most importantly real world proof.
    6. You are more than a number. Sometimes the scale may not say what you hoped - thats fine. weight loss is not a straight line declination. Its a bumpy line that drops over time. Don't let single day numbers get your focus away from term based results.
    7. Vary your exercises. Your body forms memories and can slow down how it burns fat and builds muscles. Keep it confused! Hit it hard with cardio styles. Build lean muscle to burn even more fat.
    8. and above all - take your photo now! You will want to look back and have a starting BEFORE picture to proudly display along with your series of PRESENT or CURRENT photos during your transformation and continued lifestyle of fitness.

I welcome you, and anyone else out there to add me as a friend. I have made fitness and health my passion and love the idea of folks joining me in my new lifestyle of being fit, healthy, and most importantly - HAPPY!.

I'm here to support and motivate!!! I find my own success comes easier when I help and fuel other folks success.

and remember - most folks care more about the quality of fuel they put in their lawn mowers than the fuel they put in their bodies. Don't be one of those people. Whole foods. Natural foods. Intelligent choices.

Fit for life,
    Mark M. Reed
    aka Marc Mayhem - Fitness Blogger, and Motivator!

Add me as a friend and take part in my daily fitness discussions, tips, and commentary on MyFitnessPal!
  • mystic65
    Options
    TY... all look forward to getting to know all of you and us helping each other out..:smile:
  • bluesky248
    bluesky248 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    HI, I QUIT SMOKING TOO AND WHOEVER SAID THE "AVERAGE WEIGHT GAIN IS 8LBS" MUST BE A NON-SMOKER LOL..I QUIT SMOKING AND I STARTED TO EAT OMG...I AM BATTLING THE "SMOKING" WEIGHT TOO, SO FEEL FREE TO ADD ME, TAKE CARE AND CONGRATS ON BEING "SMOKE" FREE:)
  • mystic65
    Options
    I think its because it seems the food taste so much better lol....i will add you and ty again
  • NS1216
    NS1216 Posts: 26
    Options
    I LOVE THIS SITE!!! The person who started this thread is my mommy and I thank everyone who replied for the kind words of encouragement for her. I know this will be good for her because everyone on here is so nice and wonderful. :-)
  • MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    congrats on the no smoking.....I will be quitting very soon. I had to prioritize so to speak. Figured I would start my weightloss journey first get that good and going and then tackle quitting.
  • criscram
    criscram Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello Mystic,
    I also am 47 and on this weight loss journey. Add me also. I too am new here! Good luck! Keep in touch.
    Cris
  • mystic65
    Options
    I LOVE THIS SITE!!! The person who started this thread is my mommy and I thank everyone who replied for the kind words of encouragement for her. I know this will be good for her because everyone on here is so nice and wonderful. :-)

TY to my awesome daughter for loving me so much.... This site will be good for me and i appreciate all the kind words i have gotten already. I love you Nicole
  • mystic65
    Options
    congrats on the no smoking.....I will be quitting very soon. I had to prioritize so to speak. Figured I would start my weightloss journey first get that good and going and then tackle quitting.

TY.... i found that after i quit smoking i have my energy to do more excersizing.. If you need help quitting smoking use the patch it really works...
  • mystic65
    Options
    Hello Mystic,
    I also am 47 and on this weight loss journey. Add me also. I too am new here! Good luck! Keep in touch.
    Cris

Good luck to you too :)
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I've been smoke -free for 18 years now. All thanks to first meeting my wife ( a non-smoker then, and still is) back then, and not having the urge since........
  • MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options

TY.... i found that after i quit smoking i have my energy to do more excersizing.. If you need help quitting smoking use the patch it really works...

thanks I will remember that
  • terrisk8
    terrisk8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I joined the other day after hearing about this site on a Facebook page. I have always been perceived as a healthy eater, but my first physical in years revealed high cholesterol and triglycerides. Since my father passed away last fall, I started to keep next to no sweets in the house, chips on occaision and stopped buying bologna until a couple of months ago.
    I was trying to find a easy way to monitor my calories and I think I've found it!
  • mystic65
    Options
    Well welcome... hope all of us can help each other..
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Good for you and the cessation of your smoking! :) I am a 48 year-old mom, wife, and workaholic....happy to be your friend!