Breathing issues

Options
So i've never been fit or active ever in my life, and i'm really trying to give it a go, yet every time I get started my heart feels like its gonna beat out of my chest, my face starts burning up like mad and I have a hard time breathing. I can't seem to make it past 15 minutes without feeling like its hard to breathe. What is my problem? Is this something you get over?

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    What are you doing? You might need to slow down your pace.
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    If you've never been active before you'll just be unfit. It does get better in time!
  • MinaKaye
    MinaKaye Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tried doing turbo jam. I lasted 15 minutes. I now laying on the floor catching my breath lol.
  • waldenlev
    waldenlev Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    First, don't go from full-on to dead stop, keep moving, even if it's a very slow walk. But maybe you should start with 10 minutes a day for a week, then 11 for a week, the 12... Won't take long until you doing 30 minutes or more.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It could be exercise induced asthma. I have it. I had to quit doing work outs such as "The Firm" and other high intensity work outs because even with an inhaler, I kept having asthma attacks. Now I make sure I keep my heart rate below 175 (it goes up over 200 with HIIT training) and I'm fine. You might want to mention it to your doctor. Make a note of exactly what happens and how you feel so you can describe it to your doctor accurately.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Try something a little less intense until your cardiovascular health improves - there are some videos called Walk Away the Pounds that might be a good start. Or even just real walking - brisk pace - around the neighborhood.
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    Try something a little less intense until your cardiovascular health improves - there are some videos called Walk Away the Pounds that might be a good start. Or even just real walking - brisk pace - around the neighborhood.
    This. I was going to suggest the same thing. Good luck! :)
  • MinaKaye
    MinaKaye Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I was just worried something was wrong, but it seems to be a simple fix. Much appreciated! Thanks for all the input!!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    If what you've been doing was not as intense (and I mean a big gap, like going from a 1lb weight to 50lb weights) then you did nothing but try to hurt yourself. You have to work your way up, like someone else said. Also try doing warm ups before exercise since it'll get your body ready to take on heavier stuff instead of going from 0 to 60. Likewise with cool downs.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    doctor.

if you've never been active then you should get a checkup and have him/her make sure that your breathing & heart are ok. it's the common sense thing to do and it's what a lot of diets, gyms and exercise plans suggest.
    don't just assume it's a 'simple fix' because that's what you wanted to hear. if you care about your health and you're serious about improving it, make sure you're doing it in a way that's safe for you. better safe than sorry.
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You might want to start out filling your workout time with something like yoga or pilates. Breathing is a central focus in both practices and you'll learn how to control your breathing for the more intense workouts. Plus, if it's been quite a while since you've been active, both will help you lengthen/loosen your muscles so you don't get injured doing more intense activities.

I also have asthma and I definitely second mentioning this to your doctor if it continues to be a problem.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're overtraining for your fitness level. Do you have high blood pressure?
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    i am morbidly obese and i have COPD which is like asthma times 100....

To start workingout, you need to go VERY VERY SLOW!

I have not even attempted a "workout" video yet. I started with walking (i have an elliptical, so i use that) very very slowly on it for FIVE minutes a night for a week. When i could do that without breaking a sweat, i moved up to 10 minutes every night... have now worked myself up to 30 minutes for the most time, on occasion i can go to 40 minutes.

I too wanted to jump in and kick *kitten*, but my *kitten* kicked me. LOL!! Just remember that ANY movement you didnt do before, is AWESOME!! If you can do five minutes walking without gasping for air.. do 5 more that evening! The key is when you start, you dont want to damage your muscles so you CANT do more.. and you dont want to get discouraged so you WONT do more!

I would love to have you as a friend! I can help you alot with breathing issues! =)