PMS getting in the way of your diet???

Options
Any other girls out there feel like PMS is taking over your life??? Most of the time I am super-disciplined and I really do enjoy eating healthy and exercising, but once PMS hits ALL I can think about is chocolate and peanut butter and I get so tired that I actually consider skipping the gym (that's a HUGE deal for me, bc I never skip the gym!) I know that it is hormonal and maybe even a little psychological bc in my head I know it's coming so I use it as an excuse to cheat, but I can't seem to get past it every single month! This is so frustrating to not feel like you're in control! Anyone else feel this way? Please tell me I'm not the only one! :(

Replies

• rvrtplus2
    rvrtplus2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one! I'm fighting the same problem as I type this!! I'm not sure how to stop it but we have to keep trying. Nt much help, I know, but I'm feeling the same way. Anyone else have suggestions of beating this?

My go to PMS treat is peanut M & M's :(
  • saraast
    saraast Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Whenever my period comes, I stock up on Skinny Cow....chocolate and ice cream for less calories?? yes please!
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I've been that way all my life. Usually gain a little on TOM week.

This last week was the first week I abstained from all chocolate ... and I did lose weight. It was tough. And I felt like utter crap yesterday. But all in all its worth it I guess. I would still like some chocolate!!! lol :)
  • RunDottyRun
    Options
    Strawberries. Strawberries is how I get through it. They are delicious and packed with sugar, but super low calorie. Om nom nom. When they aren't in season or can't afford it... it's a hell of a week ><
  • jodyw83
    jodyw83 Posts: 38
    Options
    Most women burn an extra 300 cals when they are menstruating. I'm starved the whole time too! But I fight it, because after it's over I have lost like three pounds!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    if I use midol (like timing my next dose) for the first three days, then the rest is managable... I also call those no gym days(the first three), if it's planned I feel in control and I walk or dance for exercise depending on how tired I am, I allow myself a little treat AFTER my exercise so that I'm being a little easier on myself and it's motivation haha
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    yes and yes and yes. and if my diet was the only thing my hormones screwed with I'd be happy.

:ohwell:
  • lish0710
    lish0710 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am SO going through this right now! All I want to do is munch munch munch.....and not on the healthy stuff. All I want are sweet and salty things. I allow myself one day to indulge and then it is back on track the next day.
  • mjnov
    mjnov Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    one of the blogs I read says that when you PMS, you crave chocolate, but what your really need is zinc to curb the craving. so red meat, seafood, leafy veggies or root veggies will work.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I get a hersheys chocolate bar and just savor one square at a time...over the 4 days I'm on. And as far as working out I usually do something lighter than my normal workouts, like just go for a walk or do water aerobics. Just something that isnt' to intense since i'm usually already dealing with some pretty gnarly cramps.
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this right now! This past months PMS splurge has resulted in a 3 week binge of sorts. Trying to get back on track right... just in time to start over again. :( I will be strong!
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    this PMS thing sucks. I get the urge to munch 2-3 days before it comes, the urge continues for 3-4 days that it last, plus 2-3 days after it's gone. It's really getting on my nerve. Every month my wt. loss suffers a set back due to this damn thing. Please I need some advice too. keep it coming.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    You are not alone... but PMS only gets in the way if you let it. I have good days and bad days with it. Sometimes I resist the cravings and sometimes I indulge a little, or not at all. But when I want to be in control bad enough, I am. When I give in, it's only because I want to. You'll be okay just keep fighting the good fight, and believe that you have control over your PMS cravings, and you will probably surprise yourself.
  • Rroggiero427
    Options
    I'm with you!!! Skinny Cow is a super yummy low cal chocolate TREAT!!! I usually get my cravings for about a week before i even start...really sucks. I have been blessed without cramps every month and I have recently discovered, through another blog I subscribe to (prayfit), that the best time to exercise is first thing in the morning (I like to stick with my regimen or I find that I have a hard time getting back into it hard core after my week. It said that you burn through carbs while you're sleeping so when you wake up, before you put anything into your mouth, do your cardio/strength etc, then eat after. Your metabolism will begin burning fat since it has already burned the carbs overnight and you will also have a better metabolism throughout the day! Also it said, if you do cardio and strength in the same day do your hour of cardio first to burn mostly carbs, then hit the hard core strength and burn more fat!! :) WOOT WOOT!! Good luck with your weeks ladies! We all need a little encouragement during our rush of crazy girl hormones! :)
  • Mamalicious0509
    Options
    This is something I struggle with a lot! I bloat really really bad. I'm starting to learn to stay away from the scale. My PMS is so bad that my doctor thinks I have PMDD. And my periods are getting longer. Ugh. It is so frustrating. I feel like at least 1/3 of my month is devoted to period/pms. I have to remind myself to really focus and work hard the other weeks...my feel good normal weeks. lol
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I'm pms-ing right now and all I want is something salty like pretzels. It's so hard to stay on-track when it comes to TOM. The cravings are killer.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I use to feel that way but now that I'm eating low carb and exercising more - no more bloating, no more psycho mood swings, no more skin breakouts, no food cravings and way less cramps.
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    I feel strange. It seems like a lot of women have issues with PMS, but while I can get cramps, and I have body aches, and maybe even get a little bit more irritable, it doesn't effect my eating habits or even energy level. I guess it's a stretch, but you could try ignoring all your wants, fighting it, or fitting in your wants with your diet.

And skipping the gym every now and again isn't a big deal. Everyone needs a break.
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Most women burn an extra 300 cals when they are menstruating. I'm starved the whole time too! But I fight it, because after it's over I have lost like three pounds!

So there's hope for me yet? I exercised like crazy and ate really well, but only lost .8 pounds. I hope to see more when I step back on that scale.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Any other girls out there feel like PMS is taking over your life??? Most of the time I am super-disciplined and I really do enjoy eating healthy and exercising, but once PMS hits ALL I can think about is chocolate and peanut butter and I get so tired that I actually consider skipping the gym (that's a HUGE deal for me, bc I never skip the gym!) I know that it is hormonal and maybe even a little psychological bc in my head I know it's coming so I use it as an excuse to cheat, but I can't seem to get past it every single month! This is so frustrating to not feel like you're in control! Anyone else feel this way? Please tell me I'm not the only one! :(
    I have noticed all those symptoms you describe, i can relate. I've noticed for me the more fit i am the less all that occurs, so take heart, you're headed in the right direction:)

Have you taken the supplement evening primrose oil? you may like how it balances your hormones.

Try to do what your body is asking for at those times. It's a cycle to respect: rest. it's not cheating, it's smart. track your water. track your food and eat sensibly. do you take a multi? Get a whole foods multi.

Those are my suggestions...don't fight your body, it is intelligent...work with it...it is beautiful.