Tracking Restaurant Food

Options
How do you track food from a restaurant that is not in the database, such as prik pao noodles from a local thai restaurant?

Replies

• woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I would search the specific food and go with another similar restaurant that is in the database.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    I look at other entries and see if there is an average. Or enter the ingredients separately. Either way, you'll get a ballpark figure.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I just had this problem the other day when I ate Pad Thai at a local restaurant. What I did was a search for "how many calories in restaurant pad thai" and then looked at many different sources. I then just kind of did an average estimate based on the amounts and portion sizes as best I could. You're never going to know for sure, so you just have to make an educated guess.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Check the database for something similar - it will be an estimate but that is ok, none of our food or exercise entries are ever going to be 100% accurate anyway!
  • HeatherTransformed
    HeatherTransformed Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm going out of town for a few days next month and will be eating out the whole time. I'm curious about this too. The replies are helpful and I shouldn't be so concerned with posting the calories. It's just that I've been trying to stay on track and don't want to go off track.

And OMG does Pad Thai sound soooo good. Beats the salad I'm about to have that's for sure.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I pick the highest-calorie listing for the dish in the database and make sure I don't go under my calorie goal that day. That way, if it's less than I estimated, I'm not starving myself.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Pick the closest thing in the database - when in doubt pick high. If the numbers in the data base seem too low I quick add extra calories as a buffer.
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just had this problem the other day when I ate Pad Thai at a local restaurant. What I did was a search for "how many calories in restaurant pad thai" and then looked at many different sources. I then just kind of did an average estimate based on the amounts and portion sizes as best I could. You're never going to know for sure, so you just have to make an educated guess.

^^ this is exactly what I do too. Seems to be working for me. YOu can usually get a lot of hits when you type "how many calories in xxxx".