LATE WORKOUTS - bad????????

Options
Hey, need some help! I have a packed out day (work job #1 in the mornings, job #2 in the afternoons)
I end up working out around 8 or 9 at night. Once school starts back, that will probably become 9 or 10 at night.

Is working out late bad for you? Or does it make a real difference what time of the day you work out?

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. I just finished mine, and it's 11:30 here. That's pretty much the norm for me.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If I work out too late, I can't get to sleep on time. And I really must get enough sleep as that is part of my health plan as well. So I never personally do vigorous exercise after 8:00. But that's because I get up at 5:00am. Other people's schedules may be very different and they aren't bothered by working out at night. Do what works.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I usually work out between 9 and 10pm. It works for me.
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    I don't think it matters when you exercise, as long as you do.

It would only become a problem for you if it gets you all revved up and you find yourself unable to sleep. Personally, if I exercise when I'm already tired, it only helps me get to bed faster, haha. But most of the time, my work outs are in the morning or afternoon, when I'm awake, because if I'm awake, it does get me revved up.

Everyone is different. If it works for you, it works for you.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I always work out late at night. I don't do mornings.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have read that cardio tends to be more energizing (harder to relax/sleep after) when compared to weight lifting. Don't know about late night work outs. I tend to feel pretty energized after my workouts, but I workout with the dawn patrol. I guess it all comes down to what works for you.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    Haven't noticed it effecting my sleep, so hopefully everything will be fine. So calories will still burn about the same?
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I've tried to do morning work outs and I find that I don't have the energy for them.

I've always worked out at night and I've managed to lose 9kgs? o.O so I guess it must be fine!
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Options
    I read on one fitness site today that there's a problem if you go to sleep without eating anything after exercising. Need to replenish; The same site also said that the ideal time to exercise is 2 hours after eating because of the insulin peak then.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I finish my workouts between 9:30 and 11:30 each night. I sleep well. I'm not an early riser so I'm more likely to not skip a workout if I workout at night. My mornings are hectic.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I can't do anything inside of 3 hours before sleep.
    Exercise rev's me up, and I'll get lousy sleep.
    Maybe other people are different.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I gotta get up at 6am at the latest I always have a terrible day the next day after I get home late the night before 11ish from a late night work out. I cant get to sleep until about 1am after a work out I am just too wired and cannot rest. Plus I find that I cannot get enough fluids post work out in if I am trying to go to bed right after
  • harriet_tubman
    Options
    it's not bad. there are "better" times to work out but the reasons are mostly personal preference, i think. in the end it doesn't matter and it's better than not working out at all.
  • TriThreat
    Options
    I read on one fitness site today that there's a problem if you go to sleep without eating anything after exercising. Need to replenish; The same site also said that the ideal time to exercise is 2 hours after eating because of the insulin peak then.

I usually eat a bigger lunch or dinner before a workout, and then I eat a smaller snack after working out, so hopefully I will be ok :)
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    As long as you can sleep OK it's fine
  • mjmfitnesstraining
    Options
    It is actually great to workout at night! Your natural testosterone levels are raised more at night (yes even you women), this means that you are more anabolic (able to build muscle easier) just make sure you get your post workout meal in before bed.

PS: it is also great to work at night due to the fact that you can sleep a little after and that will help speed up recovery :)
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Like other posters, I can have a harder time falling asleep if I workout late... but I always feel that a late workout is better than no workout.
  • Emmy248
    Emmy248 Posts: 18
    Options
    I've been working out pretty late because of my schedule and I've found that for me at least, I can go to sleep faster. I don't know why but I get more tired after working out (cardio or lifting) rather than more energized so I don't do it in the morning so that I can have the energy for what I need to do. I usually work out in the afternoon before dinner but like I said, schedule hasn't worked.. Hope now I can work out in the afternoons. Maybe it's because I'm not a morning person or something but it doesn't work.. I'll try earlier though.
  • Emmy248
    Emmy248 Posts: 18
    Options
    It is actually great to workout at night! Your natural testosterone levels are raised more at night (yes even you women), this means that you are more anabolic (able to build muscle easier) just make sure you get your post workout meal in before bed.

PS: it is also great to work at night due to the fact that you can sleep a little after and that will help speed up recovery :)
    Hey,
    Thanks for this I didn't know. Good to know.
  • TriThreat
    Options

the thought of building muscle easier makes me happy :happy: