LATE WORKOUTS - bad????????

Options
2»

Replies

• jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time falling asleep but I don't have any other choice with a baby in the house. I'm glad to read at least there's some benefit to it.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    the only thing I've ever heard against it is, that you might be too keyed up afterwards to sleep. :yawn:
  • rau_jenn
    rau_jenn Posts: 10
    Options
    I work out at night and I have never really had any problems!!! When I wake up it refreshes me to know I fell asleep on a good note so why not wake up on a good note as well!!! If it works for you then why not...at least your doing it!!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Hey, need some help! I have a packed out day (work job #1 in the mornings, job #2 in the afternoons)
    I end up working out around 8 or 9 at night. Once school starts back, that will probably become 9 or 10 at night.

Is working out late bad for you? Or does it make a real difference what time of the day you work out?

i typically work out about 10-11 pm and it works out fab for me! I work out, have a protein shake, a shower, then play a few computer games, read a book, play on the kindle.. whatever to "wind down" while my hair drys, then hit the bed!

I dont think its WHEN you work out, but the fact that you DO! Just make sure you have some protein after your workout, because protein and sleep are what rebuilds and stregnthens your muscles!

good luck to you! <3
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I workout usually during the day, but sometimes I do it at night and never have an issue sleeping. I also used to be able to drink 2-3 cups of coffee immediately before bed and sleep just fine... LOL Just do what works for your body. If that's the only time you can do it, do it as long as your sleep schedule isn't suffering.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    in addition.. i dont go to sleep until 2-5am, so my workout is typically a "mid day" workout.. just not on regular time. lol
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I read on one fitness site today that there's a problem if you go to sleep without eating anything after exercising. Need to replenish; The same site also said that the ideal time to exercise is 2 hours after eating because of the insulin peak then.

I usually eat a bigger lunch or dinner before a workout, and then I eat a smaller snack after working out, so hopefully I will be ok :)

The above is pretty well total bollocks. The "feed window" concept for targeting post-workout nutrition is on very questionable ground. The digestive process is so slow and measured that it strains the bounds of credulity to think that a few hours one way or the other after your workout will make substantial difference. And no, your calorie burn will not be any different. Calorie burn is a factor of body mass vs effort spent. That's pretty much it.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options

i typically work out about 10-11 pm and it works out fab for me! I work out, have a protein shake, a shower, then play a few computer games, read a book, play on the kindle.. whatever to "wind down" while my hair drys, then hit the bed!

I dont think its WHEN you work out, but the fact that you DO! Just make sure you have some protein after your workout, because protein and sleep are what rebuilds and stregnthens your muscles!

good luck to you! <3

Thanks! That really makes me feel better! and I'll be sure to get some protein in afterwards :)
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options

The above is pretty well total bollocks. The "feed window" concept for targeting post-workout nutrition is on very questionable ground. The digestive process is so slow and measured that it strains the bounds of credulity to think that a few hours one way or the other after your workout will make substantial difference. And no, your calorie burn will not be any different. Calorie burn is a factor of body mass vs effort spent. That's pretty much it.

gotcha. as long as it isn't going to make a difference on my calorie burns, then I won't worry.
  • cgrigz
    cgrigz Posts: 101
    Options
    I used to run 6-8 miles a night (9 or 11pm) and I found it harder to fall asleep but once i Was, i slept very very well. and felt wide awake in the mornings ready to go for the day. But everyone's different
  • Emmy248
    Emmy248 Posts: 18
    Options

the thought of building muscle easier makes me happy :happy:
    same. :smile:
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    Some people get too pumped up during their exercising to sleep--I can see why cause a person tends to feel good about themselves and want to continue and get excited about their progress.
    I however have no problem falling asleep afterwards despite any level of excitement that I reach.
    And I prefer to exercise at night cause I can think about all the food I ate already thats going to be burned off.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My schedule varies, so I work out whenever I'm most likely to do it consistently. A workout at an "unconventional" time is far better than a missed workout.