Does Healthy Food Cost More Than Junk Food?

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
Saw this article, thought its worth sharing. Bolded area might be of use to many of us. Original article can be found here:
http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2012/06/21/does-healthy-food-cost-more-than-junk-food/

===============================================================

Does following a healthy diet mean dishing out more dough? Not necessarily. A new study published by the U.S. Department of Agriculture revealed that healthy food isn’t any more expensive than junk food.

The Studies
With more than one-third of U.S. adults being overweight and a push from the Obama administration to fight rising obesity levels, this new study sheds light on budgetary concerns when it comes to healthy eating.

Previous studies were highly criticized for comparing the cost of food per calorie. These studies found that pastries and chips and cheaper than fruit and veggies. The newest study conducted by the Agricultural Department compared cost of foods by weight or portion size which reveals that grains, veggies, fruit and dairy foods are less costly than most meats or foods high in added sugar, salt, or artery-clogging saturated fat. The study found that carrots, banana, lettuce and pinto beans were all cheaper per portion than soda, ice cream, ground beef or French fries.

The Issues
Using the cost per weight or portion also makes more sense. When you compare foods per calories, there is no consideration taken for the quality of the calories or its satiety value (meaning, how full you will feel after eating the food). You may devour an unsatisfying donut for 300 calories but feel very satisfied after a 95-calorie apple. Furthermore, if you’re eating that 300 calorie donut you’re not getting nearly as many nutrients. Higher calorie and fatty foods have also been associated with a higher long-term healthcare costs from chronic diseases like obesity, cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

Shopping on a Budget
Knowing simple shopping tricks can also keep your food costs down. Use these tips on your next trip to the market:

Buy seasonal produce — out of season fruits and veggies cost more.
Plan your meals and choose recipes based on the supermarket circular, seasonal produce and healthy foods that are on sale.
Look for coupons in print or online of healthier options. Remember to check the manufacturer’s website for coupons and special deals.
Write out a shopping list of what you need to cook healthy meals and snacks to avoid spending more on impulse buys when you’re at the store.
Instead of buying food that comes in single containers like apple sauce, nuts, raisins, yogurt and whole wheat pretzels, buy them in bulk or in larger-sized packages. When you get home, divide them into single-serve containers.
Pre-cut fruits and veggies tend to be pricier. Buy them whole and prep them at home.
Go meatless on Mondays or any other day of the week. Meatless options like fruits, veggies, grains and legumes were found to be cheaper.
When you do opt for meat, calculate how much meat you really need based on 4-5 ounces per serving.
Some foods that cost a pretty penny at the market, are easy (and cheaper) to make at home such as salad dressings and tomato sauce.

Replies

• taunto
    Options
    bump
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I like this. Cuts out a lot of excuses for sure! Produce does get wayyy cheaper when its in season, and there is plenty of it.

Honestly... food can be expensive or cheap depending on how you look at it.

A burger at Red Robin costs 10 time as much as Mcky D's.

Same situation with healthy food. If you have an eye to see that it's expensive that is what you will see. If its important to you, much of the time you can make a way, and not spend more than you would on junk food.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This needs its own sticky!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It all depends upon what you are used to buying and eating and what you are comparing. For me, the change costs a lot more, but I'm managing.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it much more expensive to eat healthy. I do not know how some of you do it with a family (especially with growing children).

I always thought I knew how to budget. I eat clean. I am just talking about buying cheap food or healthy food at the supermarket.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Good post! If you're willing to put in a little more effort and time it doesn't need to cost more. I shop at the farmer's market, Sam's, BJ's, Whole Foods, Publix, and Super Target but plan my trips and stock up on the foods I can to minimize trips. We eat mostly non-processed foods (but not 100%) for much cheaper than if I bought everything at one place. Fortunately, all these places are within 5 miles of my house and the extra time is worth the savings.
  • Romans624
    Options
    Personally, I find it much more expensive to eat healthy. I do not know how some of you do it with a family (especially with growing children).

I always thought I knew how to budget. I eat clean. I am just talking about buying cheap food or healthy food at the supermarket.

Its not the highest quality ever, but canned veggies are pretty cheap oftentimes. There is usually 3 - 3.5 servings per can. I don't have a family... so I don't know. But hopefully I'll be settled in my career when I do have a family so I can afford to feed them good, good food!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

It takes time and planning and having a large freezer helps as many meals can be made in advance and taken out when needed. Fruits and veggie can be bought in bulk at the local farmers markets this time of year for considerably less than what is in the stores. Slice,or dice fruit and freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet till frozen then bag it up to prevent sticking, veggies you would need to blanch them before freezing.

http://onceamonthmom.com/ has tons of ideas and recipes to fill the freezer up
  • LadyAmy20
    LadyAmy20 Posts: 137
    Options
    this is useful, thanks for posting :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Do you buy in bulk? We buy the majority of our produce and meat at Costco and it doesn't cost as much. Before I had kids food spoiled too quickly to buy 5 pounds of apples at a time.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i have lived for years on $40 a week for groceries. i eat almost all my meals at home. i eat almost no processed food. And buy no convenience sized or precut products. This price won't work for teenaged boys : ) Or any one who works physically. or serious athletes. But for the majority of us. It's not that hard. It takes planning. and checking flyers, learning what regular prices are, and on and on and on. I don't miss any food groups, and am healthy. i don't just sit around, too tired to exercise. I sit around 'cause I'm lazy :grumble: A bag of chips is $2.50 10 pounds of potatoes is $2.50. Nuff said. I'm going to write a blog to spell all this out. I'm new here and I'm not really sure how I should start introducing myself. I could use some friends. :heart: Anyone interested?:blushing: :smile:
  • Romans624
    Options
    i have lived for years on $40 a week for groceries. i eat almost all my meals at home. i eat almost no processed food. And buy no convenience sized or precut products. This price won't work for teenaged boys : ) Or any one who works physically. or serious athletes. But for the majority of us. It's not that hard. It takes planning. and checking flyers, learning what regular prices are, and on and on and on. I don't miss any food groups, and am healthy. i don't just sit around, too tired to exercise. I sit around 'cause I'm lazy :grumble: A bag of chips is $2.50 10 pounds of potatoes is $2.50. Nuff said. I'm going to write a blog to spell all this out. I'm new here and I'm not really sure how I should start introducing myself. I could use some friends. :heart: Anyone interested?:blushing: :smile:

Sure! also check out the "introductions" section on the forums, and if you make a post on there you can get some more friends.

Friend request sent :)
  • taunto
    Options

I'm a single guy but for me eating healthier is alot cheaper for me. Eating out even at McD's for one meal is $5+ whereas a home cooked meal will cost me around 80 cents or so. I rarely buy any boxed items. Buy your own produce, use alot of lentils and beans, cook things from scratch and be creative with cheap items.

Also use the tips posted above :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yes beans have to be one of the cheapest things ever. My husband is friends with a lentil and wheat farmer, and I get endless amounts of free lentils and split peas. I am spoiled.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, food is cheap, nutritious, and easy. Pick two.

Cheap and easy? Probably high in sodium, bad fats, or nasty chemicals. (Microwave meals, anyone?)
    Cheap and nutritious? Probably takes a while to prepare. (Chickpeas, for example, take forever. -_-)
    Nutritious and easy? It'll probably cost you a fair bit. (Pre-cut? Pre-cooked? Pricy.)

The trick, in my opinion, is not being afraid to do a bit of prep work.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Good tips Taunto!

I also second having dry beans, rice, and as many in-season veggies and fruit as you can find. If you can't get fresh veggies on the cheap, canned (no sodium added) or frozen aren't bad either, and they keep much longer.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I think it depends on where you are. I live in a very expensive part of my state. My county caters to tourists, and a lot of stuff is "all natural" or "organic" (whether or not it actually is) and has a high markup. Healthy food is expensive, and an average grocery trip even for an evening takes me quite awhile to find something nutritious and affordable. Junk food isn't cheap either, but it IS cheaper than health food.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Still one of my favorites. $20 Food Showdown: Fast Food vs. Healthy Food:

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=what_20_will_buy_at_the_drivethru_and_at_the_supermarket
  • ctwm84
    ctwm84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have found that I am spending substantially less on food since I have joined MFP... I have more money than ever right now.

I buy a lot of generic brands, produce is rather cheap here and I try to buy things that are on sale. I also buy my chicken breasts frozen. This way I can get 2-3 times more chircken at the same price as buying only 4 breasts fresh.

I have also found that my money lasts longer simply because I dont eat as much so my food lasts longer!
  • taunto
    Options
    Still one of my favorites. $20 Food Showdown: Fast Food vs. Healthy Food:

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=what_20_will_buy_at_the_drivethru_and_at_the_supermarket

Thank you for that link!