Weight gain = looking older?

Options
vallemic
vallemic Posts: 278 Member
Funny how almost everyone who loses weight looks younger! The opposite also seems to be true! Why do you think this is so?

Replies

• urasweethart
    urasweethart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I wonder if we associate weight with age because they its harder to lose weight as you get older and when you think of a younger person you assume they have all this energy and are out burning everycalorie they eat,drink or Smell lol. i know I have been over weight for the last 8-9 yrs and Im only 28 and ppl always assume Im way older. Ive been told its because of the way I carry myself but I honestly think I carry myself & act different when I lose and gain weight.
  • Deltabigboy
    Options
    You would think it would be the opposite. All that extra fat should push those wrinkles away!
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm actually nervous about looking older as I loose. I'm afraid my face will be super wrinkly. I'm 48 but look much younger. I'm also worried about having a waddle under my chin. When I was thin 22 years ago I had a chiseled jawline and great cheekbones. I guess I shouldn't worry about it must just live with whatever happens. Wrinkles don't give you diabetes or heart problems!
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    Well, if people look younger as they lose weight, I am in trouble! I already look like I am (maybe) barely out of high school. I am going to have people trying to throw me back in!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    some people look younger as they lose weight, and some look older. I think it really depends on every person's face and skin.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I would say I think it has made me look older unfortunately
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I think that carrying around all that weight made me more tired and when you are tired you can look a lot older?
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I most definitely look older when I lose weight on my face. When my face is a bit rounder, looks like I have baby fat or something :P
    But I know last year when I was quite a good healthy size, I looked like a more 'mature' woman :P
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the individual. My 'aunty' (those close family friends you are forced to call aunty) is a pretty large and cheerful women who looks about late 40's early 50's and is actually 62... surprised me =/ But I have also seen some over weight people look older with weight. All depends on the individual.
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've actually found the opposite. I know one woman who was a beautiful heavy woman, then she lost 100+ pounds and she looked so much older. I'm extremely obese and told I look much younger than I am. I'm still going to lose to be healthy but I do worry what I will look like afterwards.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I think its true either way. I have seen my fair share of before and after pics and some people look 10+ years younger. I have also seen some people that get more wrinkles because their face droops.
    I think it depends on genetics but either way, its not a good excuse to not lose weight.

You are unique, just like everyone else. :laugh:
  • Ma_Vie
    Ma_Vie Posts: 7
    Options
    For those of us who are older, sometimes the weight loss leaves us with wrinkles because our skin is thinner and once the fat is gone, skin settles and voila! Wrinkles! I have lost 52 lbs, and now have wrinkles on my forehead of all places, where I did not have them before...oh, well...

I also have crow's feet around the corners of my eyes and had none before.

I like 'em all! They show all my hard work! (That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it, as the saying goes).
  • vegasmari
    vegasmari Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this when people lose weight too quickly. Almost as if our faces need a gradual weight loss to look firm and tight, so it doesn't keep up with our bodies. Just my opinion
  • danilee1020
    danilee1020 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of looking older, but that is why I am trying to lose at a good pace, not too fast. I notice people who get lap band and drop weight quickly look older, jmho.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I look younger slimmer than I did heavier. Many people have told me so. I'm almost 50
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I also wonder if it's about clothing. When one loses weight, he/she may be apt to wearing more stylish clothing that makes them look younger. With that also comes confidence, your posture changes and your head is held higher :)
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I look younger now that I've lost weight. Most of the people that I know who ended up looking older after losing weight is because they went a little too excessive in weight loss department and their face ended up really gaunt.
  • Aljn27
    Aljn27 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I believe this is true. I was about 45 pounds heavier this time last year when my father passed away and someone thought that my younger cousin was my daughter. We do look alike but I did look much older then. I guess stress and weight gain can make a person look older because we are using so much more of our energy to function. I look this site and I am and so glad I decided to take my health into a more positive direction :smile:
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am developing a turkey wattle as the weight comes off. Horrified. Haven't lost too quickly - 30 lbs in 16 weeks. I hope with time it tightens up a little.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I know right! It's crazy, my husband could easily pass as 35 or even 40(he's 28).Last week he bought alcohol they didn't even card him! I blame the full beard and long unkept curly hair, but he's put on weight too, he's only 5'4 and about 250 lbs now. Being healthy and losing weight does make you look way younger. I just found out how old my zumba instructors are. One's 35, she looks younger than me (I'm 27) the other is 48, but she looks about 30-35 tops. It shocked me, I would have never guessed that!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!