Mind set

Options
HI,

I should have said hello about a month ago when I joined, better late than never though. I'm a 36 year old single mum from North Wales. Have been overweight for most of my life. I have never been on diets but did change my eating habits a few years back and lost a lot of weight. Only trouble is I let food become a comfort when I worked for a horrible boss and piled it back on again.

So the first week I started I was raring to go and lost about 4/5 lbs. During that week was my eldest sons birthday and I'd resisted having any cake and was so proud that I did. Anyway I'm working on being good 6 out of 7 days then having a treat day (I don't mean pig out, just have something nice). At the end of that first week I gave in and had a piece of cake as my treat, trouble was no one was really eating the cake and, story cut short, my treat day lasted over a week and I had most of the cake "just to get rid of it". I know I should have just put it in the bin or shared it out but I didn't. Suffice it to say all the hard work of the past week had gone out of the window and some so I dusted myself off and started again.At the end of this week I am basically back to where I started physically but mentally I think I have changed a fair amount. My treat day was yesterday and yes I did have a bit of chocolate and went to KFC but I also burnt 500 kcals so that it would fit in with my allowance and this morning I have no desire to eat anything bad. So I think I learnt a valuable lesson and hope that it keeps me going till I have lost what I need to and can maintain a healthy weight.

Say hello, add me etc if you want.

Replies

• Boo522
    Boo522 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't totally give up on yourself you are good. Just know that YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! When you feel tempted log on and read some posts or encourage someone else. I will request you as a friend. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i love your 'title' "Mind set".. exactly!!!!! it is so so mental ..you hafta think before you make choices/eat.. and what and how much.. it doesnt just fly into your mouth! .. but this plan.. how i see it on MFP is a plan.. a way of life to eat.. its not 'no carbs or no fat or no sugar...' its reality.. and 'math' basically too.. calories in and calories out... and to track your diary and your exercises daily.. and one 'treat' day is a good idea.. ive heard in previous 'plans'... to have one day where you go over so your body doesnt adjust and maintain basically.. .. and also the 'cake story'.. i know what you mean... and for future situations.. if your going to have the one piece have it!!.. but then give the rest away.. for peeps to take home or something.. get it OUT!!!!! .. like me i bought reduced guilt brownie mix (use apple sauce vs oil) and i havent made em yet.. cuz im gonna wait till I have somewhere to bring them..like to a friends house or a party or something.. I need a pan of brownies at my house like a hole in the head.. LOL.. so im THINKING (mind set) ahead before making those... (I live alone so yeah would just b me).. and im gonna make em and then bring the rest to a friend.. (reduced guilt but still 130 cals a pop!!!... I just completed my first wk on MFP. and lost 2#'s.. am looking forward to more and more loosing.. as you are too! :flowerforyou:
  • teally13
    teally13 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks Boo, no I don't plan on giving up. I know I'm going to have bad days and I know I have just got to make the best of them and just carry on plodding on. I'm not here for a quick fix, I know that doesn't work and I have to be able to do this in the real world so as I say it's just changing the way I think about things and being organised when I do go out so that I don't have to make a bad choice. Thanks for the friend request.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    HI,

I should have said hello about a month ago when I joined, better late than never though. I'm a 36 year old single mum from North Wales. Have been overweight for most of my life. I have never been on diets but did change my eating habits a few years back and lost a lot of weight. Only trouble is I let food become a comfort when I worked for a horrible boss and piled it back on again.

So the first week I started I was raring to go and lost about 4/5 lbs. During that week was my eldest sons birthday and I'd resisted having any cake and was so proud that I did. Anyway I'm working on being good 6 out of 7 days then having a treat day (I don't mean pig out, just have something nice). At the end of that first week I gave in and had a piece of cake as my treat, trouble was no one was really eating the cake and, story cut short, my treat day lasted over a week and I had most of the cake "just to get rid of it". I know I should have just put it in the bin or shared it out but I didn't. Suffice it to say all the hard work of the past week had gone out of the window and some so I dusted myself off and started again.At the end of this week I am basically back to where I started physically but mentally I think I have changed a fair amount. My treat day was yesterday and yes I did have a bit of chocolate and went to KFC but I also burnt 500 kcals so that it would fit in with my allowance and this morning I have no desire to eat anything bad. So I think I learnt a valuable lesson and hope that it keeps me going till I have lost what I need to and can maintain a healthy weight.

Say hello, add me etc if you want.

Hihi n add me if u want to :) Things happen, and holidays/special occasions are the hardest i.m.o. Just stick with it n keep that lesson learned! n good job on your second treat day!
  • teally13
    teally13 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi 9611mu,

So with you on that. I don't live on my own but with 3 kids in the house (all skinny boys who can and do eat everything) I tend to have a lot of "bad" things in my house. I want to get in my mind that I don't want/need to have them or when I do that I have a reasonable portion and not eat things "because they are there". I won't be denying myself anything but I need to have a really good reason to have it and for better or worse it will be tracked on here!
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    exactly!!! :drinker:
  • ivan1964
    ivan1964 Posts: 435
    Options
    Hello and welcome here. You can do anything you put your mind too. I hope you have a great day. I have 3 kids too and I undertand but I limit the junk food in my home because the kids wouldnt eat right if I had it there all the time it took a while but they understand now so that makes it easier.