sorry, this isn't weight/diet related. but please answer.

Options
sorry again. :)
so, i'm 20 and i was thinking of getting braces just to get a perfect smile(i've got "vampire canines" and two slightly crooked teeth).
is it okay to get braces at 20!? i mean, will it be super painful n weird. It may seem stupid but i just want honest opinions.

Replies

• QuestToLose
    QuestToLose Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    it's not. I'm 21 and I got braces when i was 20 because of large spaces in my teeth. it actually did not hurt that much. I just had trouble chewing within the week after I got it on for the first time. but now it's all good. and For some reason, which i do not know of, when I smile in pictures, no one can see the braces and it shows just tiny spaces in my teeth, instead of the large. They look fuller and nicer with the braces. It's better to get it now than to wait till you are about 30. I would have posted pictures for u to see the difference but I am on a mission to not post pics until I lose half of what I want to lose. But for now, go for it. you have nothing to lose but nice teeth to gain. if you are still not comfortable with braces, you can get invisalign. hope this helps. :smile: goodluck!
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Not weird at all. Go for it!! :drinker:
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    No, not weird. If you're not happy with your teeth, take care of it sooner rather than later.
  • mrscvan
    mrscvan Posts: 5
    Options
    That would not be strange at all. One of my co-workers got braces when she was 40. She is so glad she finally did. Now her teeth look exactly like she has always wanted them to look. I say if you can afford them, go for it!
  • kadinlucas
    kadinlucas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I got braces about 17 and had them until I was 19. In all honesty they can make you want to hide your smile but no one really cares at all.
    Braces do not hurt getting put on or getting taken off. However a day or 2 after you get them on your teeth will get a bit sore as the wires start to pull your teeth together/apart. The pain is never that great and some basic pain relief is usually all good.
    I had a pretty lousy smile before and now I think it looks pretty good (although quite yellow).

It can be a really long process though. I am still meant to wear my retainer once a week for ever so that it will guarantee my teeth won't move, and I have a wire along several of my bottom teeth that is going to be there forever so they don't move.

Overall, it can be pretty annoying, isn't really painful, and will likely be totally worth it.
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    If it's embarrassing you can get invisible braces! :D They do exist!
    But if you want to take a step towards feeling and looking better, nobody else need judge.
  • Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Braces today can be totally trendy. I have never had to wear them but can't see anything wrong with you getting your teeth fixed. Go for it :bigsmile:

Linda