Article - Not All FATS Are Bad

Options
When choosing fats, pick unsaturated fat over saturated or trans fat. Here's how to know the difference.

Most foods contain several different kinds of fat, and some are better for your health than others are. You don't need to completely eliminate all fat from your diet. In fact, some fats actually help promote good health. But it's wise to choose the healthier types of dietary fat, and then enjoy them — in moderation.

The facts about dietary fat

There are numerous types of fat. Your body makes its own fat from taking in excess calories. Some fats are found in foods from plants and animals and are known as dietary fat. Dietary fat is one of the three macronutrients, along with protein and carbohydrates, that provide energy for your body. Fat is essential to your health because it supports a number of your body's functions. Some vitamins, for instance, must have fat to dissolve and nourish your body.

But there is a dark side to fat. The concern with some types of dietary fat (and their cousin cholesterol) is that they are thought to play a role in cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. Dietary fat also may have a role in other diseases, including obesity and cancer.

Research about the possible harms and benefits of dietary fats (sometimes called fatty acids) is always evolving. And a growing body of research suggests that when it comes to dietary fat, you should focus on eating healthy fats and avoiding unhealthy fats.

Harmful dietary fat

The two main types of potentially harmful dietary fat:

Saturated fat
This is a type of fat that comes mainly from animal sources of food. Saturated fat raises total blood cholesterol levels and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels, which can increase your risk of cardiovascular disease. Saturated fat may also increase your risk of type 2 diabetes.

Trans fat
This is a type of fat that occurs naturally in some foods, especially foods from animals. But most trans fats are made during food processing through partial hydrogenation of unsaturated fats. This process creates fats that are easier to cook with and less likely to spoil than are naturally occurring oils. These trans fats are called industrial or synthetic trans fats. Research studies show that synthetic trans fat can increase unhealthy LDL cholesterol and lower healthy high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. This can increase your risk of cardiovascular disease.

Most fats that have a high percentage of saturated fat or trans fat are solid at room temperature. Because of this, they're typically referred to as solid fats. They include beef fat, pork fat, shortening, stick margarine and butter.

Healthier dietary fat

The two main types of potentially helpful dietary fat:

Monounsaturated fat
This is a type of fat found in a variety of foods and oils. Studies show that eating foods rich in monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) improves blood cholesterol levels, which can decrease your risk of heart disease. Research also shows that MUFAs may benefit insulin levels and blood sugar control, which can be especially helpful if you have type 2 diabetes.

Polyunsaturated fat
This is a type of fat found mostly in plant-based foods and oils. Evidence shows that eating foods rich in polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) improves blood cholesterol levels, which can decrease your risk of heart disease. PUFAs may also help decrease the risk of type 2 diabetes. One type of polyunsaturated fat, omega-3 fatty acids, may be especially beneficial to your heart. Omega-3s, found in some types of fatty fish, appear to decrease the risk of coronary artery disease. They may also protect against irregular heartbeats and help lower blood pressure levels.
Foods made up mostly of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature, such as olive oil, safflower oil, peanut oil and corn oil.

A word about cholesterol

Cholesterol isn't a fat. Rather, it's a waxy, fat-like substance. Your body manufactures some cholesterol. Your body also absorbs some dietary cholesterol — cholesterol that's found in foods of animal origins, such as meat and eggs. Cholesterol is vital because, among other important functions, it helps build your body's cells and produces certain hormones. But your body makes enough cholesterol to meet its needs — you don't need any dietary cholesterol.

Excessive cholesterol in your diet can increase your unhealthy LDL cholesterol level, although not as much as saturated fat does. This can increase your risk of heart disease and stroke. Most foods that contain saturated fat also contain cholesterol. So cutting back on these foods will help decrease both saturated fat and cholesterol. The exception to this is tropical oils, which are high in saturated fat but contain no cholesterol.

Recommendations for fat intake

Because some dietary fats are potentially helpful and others potentially harmful to your health, it pays to know which ones you're eating and whether you're meeting national recommendations.

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Fats get really tough and confusing to really get a hold of from a "what is healthy" point of view.

It looks like all unsaturated fats are good, but then you have vegetable oil (soybean oil) which is very high in Omega 6, and a high omega 6 to omega 3 ratio has been shown to be very unhealthy.

You mentioned tropical oils such as palm oil and coconut oil. Their saturated fats are mostly medium chain triglycerides which are among the easiest molecules for your body to use for energy and don't show any of the negative effects typical of high saturated fats. But MCTs will never show up on most food labels leaving you to typically avoid these foods because they have more saturated fats (no stir "natural" peanut butter is a common choice advertised to be avoided due to increased saturated fats).

Coconut oil is very high in saturated fat, but it's totally healthy to cook and fry with.

Here's my short list of foods with healthy
    (I'd forgotten about avacados)
    Nuts and seeds
    Canola and olive oil
    Peanut oil-semi guilt free frying
    Fatty fish and fish oil
    Flaxseed (wonderful fat source. Lots of Omega 3).

There are more, but those are pretty common and accessible.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Stick to the "good" fats and you'll be okay.

Avocados
    Nuts and Seeds
    Olive OIl
    Salmon and tuna (fatty fish)

That's what I do and it's working so far.
  • BlackLabel1803
    BlackLabel1803 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This video has some good info on fats.

http://youtu.be/v8WA5wcaHp4
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I think there is nothing wrong with consuming moderate amounts of saturated fats as long as don't go overboard unlike trans fats. The reason is that saturated fats is natural type unlike trans fats which are completely man-made & are more dangerous. I track down my saturated fat in my diary & mine is set at about 18g per day whereas trans fats should be limited to only 5g.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I think you forgot the link.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/NU00262/
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I think saturated fats get a bad name in general (as well as all fats, mind you). As LaMujerMasBon (say that 5 times fast :P) said, trans fats are really the ones to watch for.

The only reason to really watch saturated fats is that in factory farms, they use a lot of hormones and antibiotics in the animals, and the waste is usually deposited in the fat. Otherwise, if you're eating traditionally raised meats, you shouldn't have any issues with saturated fats. They'll up your cholesterol, but it's mostly the HDL that gets increased.

Also, as Taylor mentioned, the omega 6 to omega-3 balance is important to watch and is far too often overlooked.

Edit: Also, if you're going to copy/paste from somewhere, you should always post the link to the article. Otherwise, it looks like you're trying to pass it off as your own (unless that is what you were trying to do)..
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    PUFAs are linked to cancer. I avoid them. I use olive oil and bought my first jar of coconut oil.