Why do I look fatter?

Options
I'm 4'11 and as of this morning weigh 101.8 pounds! Almost down to my goal. When I look through everyone's success stories and stuff, even if some of them are short and weigh more than me, my stomach still looks fat and theirs are flat. I've had 3 c-sections so I know my stomach will never be perfect, but do you think I'm exercising wrong? Should I start toning? Do that 30-Day Shred like many other people are doing on here? Thanks for your advice.

Replies

• kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Without resistance training, you aren't going to get that lean look. A better measure of success than scale weight, especially now that you are at goal, is body fat percentage. If you are thin but with a relatively high body fat, you will look flabbier than someone at a heavier weight but with more muscle and less fat.

I sympathize. I see other people my weight and heavier look sleek, while I...don't. My current struggle is also reducing body fat even though I'm at a pretty good weight for my height.

You might consider upping calories and focusing on a good beginner resistance training program that appeals to you.
  • marystingley
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Do you know a good resistance video or something? I am crappy at resistance workouts at the gym.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    The 30DS is a great workout for your belly. I have done it completely two times and I'm very satisfied with the outcome, but my belly isn't as great as I would like it to be. I also speed walk, which burns belly fat. If that's the only issue you have, do workouts that are all built around belly fat, that is the best option to get your belly more tone!
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you like to use video programs, ChaLean Extreme and P90X are both primarily resistance training programs. Check them out. A lot of people seem to have gotten great results with them.

30DS is more of a cardio program.
  • marystingley
    Options
    I just started 30 DS yesterday and will see how it goes. Thanks for your advice! I think once I finish this I'll try P90X, I'm not sure I'm fit enough for that yet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are two things that can affect the look of your stomach... too much fat and not enough muscle. If your bf is too high then fat is covering the muscle. If you dont have enough muscle then its going to be harder to have visible definition. Some people have to end up gaining 20 lbs of muscle to get good definition.