Too much protein

Options
I keep coming up high on protein. How will more than the recommended protein affect me? What are some good things to eat that area lower in protein.

Also, if I am biking and walking regularly, shouldn't I have some more protein?

Replies

• vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    how much to high? extra protein is usually not a problem ?
  • AmandaDutra
    Options
    There really isnt any problem/need to worry if you're going over on protein. I dont know how much over you're going, but as long as you arnt doubling it I think youll be fine.

As a rule multiply your weight x .4 and thats how many grams of protein you should have to maintain a healthy body, and thats without addl. workouts (which would allow for the number to increase.)

On a personal note, I never used to drink protein and now I do.. I notice a SIGNIFICANT increase in my muscles, the day after I dont ache as badly for one! Thats always a good thing!

Hope I helped!
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
    Protein is used by the body in three ways: building tissue, energy usage and energy storage (fat). If you are consuming more calories than you use, excess protein will end up as fat. Otherwise you should be fine.

The general rule for working out is carbs before and protein (and carbs) after. How much protein depends on how much muscle fibre you're tearing up with your workouts.
  • janetf757
    janetf757 Posts: 4
    Options
    The same thing was happening to me and I know carbs are a problem for me so i adjusted my food goals.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I believe the MFP recommendation for protein is actually a bit low. My personal trainer recommends about 50% more than MFP so i am always struggling to get enough protein! In any case, i always try to exceed my MFP recommendation.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Also, i'd love to know what you're eating that you consistently exceed your recommended amount. I need to get some of whatever that is you're eating!
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Unless you have chronic kidney disease, which many people do and they don't know it. Take me, for instance. Otherwise super healthy, no symptoms, no CKD related illness, yet found out I had a GFR of 58, which is Stage 3 kidney disease. Since one test can be off, I was good and kept myself hydrated, did everything right, and just got retested three months later. now I'm at 51. I'll be getting a kidney ultrasound and possibly referred to a nephrologist. I did read that muscle mass and a high protein diet can affect serum creatinine, which is the number used to calculate GFR, so I'm hoping that's my issue. I've been strength training and eating a relatively high protein diet for about six years now. I have always heard high protein is fine AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HAVE A KIDNEY PROBLEM. Great...I wasn't worried...didn't have any issues. Apparently I did and just didn't know it. Now I'm being told drink plenty of water, which I do, avoid NSAIDS,, go when I have to go, and avoid animal protein.
  • DPB55
    DPB55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why IS the protein only 15%? Seems like it should be MORE than that? Carbs seems to be too high.
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney issues, don't worry about it. I always try to be over on protein!
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I keep coming up high on protein. How will more than the recommended protein affect me? What are some good things to eat that area lower in protein.

Also, if I am biking and walking regularly, shouldn't I have some more protein?

Also, if you are using MFP's default macro percentages, your protein might be set quite low, making it easy to go over. Lately, mine has been manually set at 132 grams and I find it impossible to reach my goal.
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Why IS the protein only 15%? Seems like it should be MORE than that? Carbs seems to be too high.

My protein is at 40% I believe lol. I am doing SBD though. It is hard to reach 40% though!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you consider high protein. Typical recommendation is 1 gram per lb LBM. As long as your well hydrated barring any medical issues you will be fine. Water water water.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I try to eat higher protein, but it is challenging for me to get higher than 25% on average. I manually set my goal at 30%.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    MFP default settings are 80/10/10 I believe which is a bit of an outdated set up and ends up with really low protein and fats. You should look to manually over-ride the settings. General recommendations, if you are exercising is to get at least 0.65g for lb of body weight (or 1g per lb of LBM if you know it) and 0.35g of fats per lb of body weight. You can adjust the settings by reverse engineering into the percentages. Remember fat has 9 calories per g and protein and carbs have 4. You will need to pick the nearest percentage as MFP only goes in increments of 5%. When you set them, remember, these are a minimum recommendation, so if you go over, its fine.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Also, i'd love to know what you're eating that you consistently exceed your recommended amount. I need to get some of whatever that is you're eating!

This! Tell me your secret, I just can't seem to get enough protein.
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low imo. I go over on protein every day. I wouldn't worry too much.
  • waqasahmed939
    Options
    It is definitely possible to have too much protein - just as much you can have too much of any thing. You can die from overhydration

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/05May/Documents/BtH_supplements.pdf
    Consuming too much protein can have side effects, including diarrhoea. There is also evidence that, in the long term, excessive protein intake may contribute to bone demineralisation and an increased risk of osteoporosis, while for anyone with kidney problems, too much protein can lead to further complications

That being said, unless your protein levels are ridiculously high, I wouldn't worry
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    MFP default settings are 80/10/10 I believe which is a bit of an outdated set up and ends up with really low protein and fats. You should look to manually over-ride the settings. General recommendations, if you are exercising is to get at least 0.65g for lb of body weight (or 1g per lb of LBM if you know it) and 0.35g of fats per lb of body weight. You can adjust the settings by reverse engineering into the percentages. Remember fat has 9 calories per g and protein and carbs have 4. You will need to pick the nearest percentage as MFP only goes in increments of 5%. When you set them, remember, these are a minimum recommendation, so if you go over, its fine.

This^^^^^^