Suggestions on HRM to purchase?

Options
I just started MFP and want to purchase a basic HRM that also tells me how many calories are being burned. Any suggestions on brands? I would like to stay under $100.

Replies

• Klpratt38
    Klpratt38 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4. I have not opened it yet, but several people on MFP have told me they love theirs. It is around $69 on ebay and around $100 at stores.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT4 from amazon for $60. I LOVE IT!!!!! It came yesterday and it turns out I was underestimating my calorie burn by half. Or I guess MFP's estimates were too low for me.

So happy I got it :D
  • risingphoenix12
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap? I have read mixed review about chest straps. I want it to be as accurate as possible.
  • Kailuen
    Kailuen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft7.html

I'm going to buy this one. It has good reviews and is accurate.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap? I have read mixed review about chest straps. I want it to be as accurate as possible.

Yes it does. I noticed when I worked out my heart rate would drop a lot in certain positions. I was able to adjust it to point it wouldn't do that anymore. I didn't have it tight enough first thing and 2nd my bra was being evil, but I moved it around alittle and worked a lot better, it didn't drop anymore. And surpisingly, I really did not notice wearing it, even making it tighter.

The thing is for heart rate monitors the most accurate way to get a reading is through use of a chest strap, if it doesn't use one it will be less accurate.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

if you want accuracy, you want a chest strap. Polar FT4 on Amazon, $65
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft7.html

I'm going to buy this one. It has good reviews and is accurate.
    I have this and LOVE it. Since getting a HRM I want to work out all the time, and I take cheesy fake Polaroids of each post-workout reading with my iPhone, writing the date and type of workout on them. Soooo satisfying.

The chest strap isnt even noticeable once you get working out, and having a HRM that uses a chest strap will give you more accurate (and satisfying) results.

The coolest thing is that it's all waterproof to 30m. I couldn't believe it, you can SWIM with it!