Tailbone hurting when doing mat work

Options
Has anyone else had this problem. When I go to the mat/floor to do ab work etc, my tailbone KILLS ME! It hurts and I want to put a pillow under it so badly. Is that an acceptable solution to the problem?

Replies

• katymrose
    katymrose Posts: 78
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I haven't found a solution...
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    Bump in case anyone else knows of a solution.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    Bump.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have this too! D:
  • AHatFullOfSky
    AHatFullOfSky Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure your lower back is flat against the floor, when you make your exercises? Imagine pulling your bellybutton down towards the floor.

Try and look into basic pilates techniques when doing abbs and so on. And do them slow and controlled.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Question Gals, did all of you had babies with this problem? Reason why I ask is because I have heard this before from many females who happen to have had babies. Not saying that this is the case and that is why you have the pain but pretty funny thing for me to read this.
  • KStambulic
    KStambulic Posts: 131
    Options
    Are you making sure your lower back is flat against the floor, when you make your exercises? Imagine pulling your bellybutton down towards the floor.

Try and look into basic pilates techniques when doing abbs and so on. And do them slow and controlled.

^^This. I used to have the same problem until I looked into exercises for back pain and to strengthen my core muscles. Remembering to "push" your lower back into the floor (basically a pelvic tilt) makes all the difference. This is the website that I found useful.
    http://www.bigbackpain.com/back_exercises.html
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It hurts me to. But doing yoga and strecthcing and stuff has helped me alot!!!
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Question Gals, did all of you had babies with this problem? Reason why I ask is because I have heard this before from many females who happen to have had babies. Not saying that this is the case and that is why you have the pain but pretty funny thing for me to read this.

Alot of women do get lower back pain from having a child and/or a shot in there back. But thats not quite where the tailbone would be at. :)
  • treblemaker90
    treblemaker90 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Try using an exercise ball to do AB work. I find that it really helps with my back and I still get a good workout!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I don't have trouble with my tailbone, but my hips feel like they are digging into the floor if I do a lot of mat work. I have a flat pillow that I'll use when this happens and it doesn't seem to affect my form or ability to do the exercises. It makes such a difference! Just make sure it's not too puffy.
  • terrara715
    terrara715 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. And yes, I have had 2 children.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Mine only hurts when I'm doing things like Russian twists when I actually sit right on it, and most of it is from breaking it back in december falling down some steps. I find doubling my mat really helps give enough cushioning to avoid most of the pain.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

I used to have that problem, too, when I was using momentum rather than my core for ab work. And no I've never had a baby lol. Once you focus on engaging your core, pulling your belly button into your spine and using your core muscles to perform the exercises your tailbone will no longer be pressing into the floor...
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Mine only hurts when I'm doing things like Russian twists when I actually sit right on it, and most of it is from breaking it back in december falling down some steps. I find doubling my mat really helps give enough cushioning to avoid most of the pain.

Yes -- this. I haven't had children so I don't think that's an issue. But doubling the mat and/or using two (or even three if they're available) mats helps a lot.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Alot of women do get lower back pain from having a child and/or a shot in there back. But thats not quite where the tailbone would be at. :)

I know what you are referring to and I know thats something else. I was referring to the tailbone itself. My kids mother happens to have pain where her epidoral shot was taken at, but she also happens to have pain around the tailbone area when doing certain exercises with proper form too.
  • Cwilbanks12105
    Cwilbanks12105 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't have the tailbone problem, but I have a bulging disc in my lower back that makes things like crunches, sit ups, etc..anything that involves pushing my lower back into the floor to be absolutely excrutiating, so I don't do anything like that. Instead, I'll do c-sit or v positions, standing ab work, plank work, and crunches and other ab workouts on an exercise ball. There's so many other options for ab work that are just as good, if not better, than having to actually lay down on the mat if it's uncomfortable for you.
  • angirs
    angirs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This took me some practice, however you do not want to be rolling on your tailbone. I learned how to tuck and pull the belly button towards the spine through yoga. I had a tailbone and lower back injury when I was younger...using your core is the ticket.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! I guess I have a big tailbone, my mama has the same, even when I like sit on the floor against a wall it hurts to get up sometimes. When doing ab work or whatever on the floor, I usually put a ****ty pillow underneath, I don't see any harm in it! Also when doing GIRL pushups I put a pillow under my knees, lol. But now I can do a REAL pushup! Maximum of 2 though ;)
  • goldfish29
    goldfish29 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Mine does but it didn't hurt until I fractured it downhill skiing. That was two years ago and it still causes me pain :sad: