Dieting and Normal Eating habits...and liking healthy foods!

Options
...I have noticed that ALOT of people are on something like 1200 calories....and after some time.

How can that be maintained for life?

I love eating....and not just junk food.

I am now doing 1300calories a day from GAINING on a 1750 calorie goal. And I have to say...after eating 2 salads a day and some fish....I LOVE the look of some grapes....or an apple....BUT I dont have any more calories to eat.

Yikes.....some people say they would go out and do some exercise to be able to eat more....which is great. But really.....must one struggle to go out and burn some more energy to eat something like fruits.....or even another salad!!

I was hungry...and wanted really to eat another salad...and it felt depressing...I could only do it if I went out and did some exercise.

Right now I have to get used to being on such a low calorie intake...so hopefully in the next week....my body gets used to it and I can venture out for some exercise.

Tough....

AND so many people dont have anything listed for BREAKFAST!!! It is like being in high school....and girls not eating to be thin.

OR people , Like Me; having to practically substitute a meal through a powder. I guess for me...I have to because it provides me with the nutrients I am sure I can not get from such a low calorie intake....but damn....it is a bit depressing.

I dont believe in overeating....but I do wonder.... where is the line to ENJOYING the pleasures of food....good food....a Seafood Plate....a Fruit and Cheese plate.......pfff..

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm on 2000 cals to maintain 136lbs b/c I lift weights and my metabolism is revved up because of that. 1300 is pretty low...you have to find something that you can maintain for LIFE and if you're having a hard time getting through day to day and not able to eat fruit and veggies that you want then I can't see how you will make it for the long term on this kind of eating plan...
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You should look into the "Eating for a Future You" group (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3088-eating-for-future-you). The theory is that if you eat the amount of calories a person of your height and activity level at your ideal weight needs, eventually you will be that weight.

Last time I calculated, I needed 1440 at 5'4" and sedentary. I'm much more active now, and plan to stay that way, so I should recalculate.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Go here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Figure out your TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure by selecting the appropriate activity modifier.

Make it your goal to cut no more than 15-20% of that.

If you want to eat more, you will need to exercise more.

I eat about 2100-2200/day and lose weight. But I run a lot... because I love to run. But I also love to eat.

... guess I'm glad I love to run.

You could also lift instead.

Or both.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yeah I find it hard to believe you were gaining at 1750 a day? Are you very petite? 1200 and 1300 are for losing weight are roughly a pound a week (for women, most men will lose more on such low calorie intake). 1750 is like a maintenance diet. That's about what I should be eating if I'm relatively inactive once I make my goal weight. (I'm a middle-aged woman of average height).
  • rmh84
    rmh84 Posts: 28
    Options
    I don't think 1200 IS sustainable - but for me as long as I forgo the absolute junk food I find the 1375 ish I'm on now is sustainable. It means smaller portions, and if I eat out it's "no, I do NOT want fries with that".

I was never a breakfast eater - I start my day with coffee and fruit, this works for me. I'm not hungry for lunch till 1 or so.

If I were you I'd switch out the salad for something more filling but similar calories. For example I eat at Panera a LOT - for the same cals as a chicken ceasar, you can have a ham and swiss. I see you're in Austria though, so this might not mean much to you! But you could do something like have some rice and a nice bunch of steamed carrotts and green beans with your fish instead of a salad. One of my favorites for filling/low cal is turnips. I eat them raw, and cooked. They're strong-tasting, but very filling.
  • HerbT51
    HerbT51 Posts: 36
    Options
    Looking at your diary for the week, you had 2 eggs & sausage for breakfast most days. When you didn't, it looks like you had another breakfast listed as Snack plus another meal. Have you tried using 1 egg with 2 egg whites? Maybe have the sausage, whith a high fiber cereal, on the days you don't have eggs. I suggest you try adding more fiber, such as vegetables (in addition to salad) throughout the day. That is to say, use your calories on things that fill you up. If you still feel hungry, eating a salad is better than a fourth meal.
  • thecapaccino
    thecapaccino Posts: 138
    Options
    dang it...accidentally deleted my message...here we go again

Im 5'8 / 173cm...and heavy build so carry my weight well.

I used to walk 2 hours a day 5 or 6 times a week eating a guesstimate 2000-2200 calories..GAINED...so stopped that!

Then got on to MFP...and at 107kg / 235lbs...set goal for 1lb week loss or 1750 calories..GAINED 15lbs!!!

...have posted aThread and people are this and that...pfff..

so NOW trying for one week now....1300 a day...and I feel that is too low!

But I have to rule it out...so if it works...I could be wrong....and I am logging ALL my items correctly and not taking database foods for the calorie count only...

pffff
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is my favorite low-cal filler. 40 calories for a cup of it? Gimme two with a tiny sprinkle of olive oil, a pinch of parmesan, and some freshly chopped garlic for 100 calories. Yum!

EDIT: Also, I notice your 1700-calorie days are rather high in carbs. The thing about eating a lot of carbs is that your body can't use them to build or repair blood cells, muscle, etc. like it can with proteins or healthy fats; they're only useful as energy, and your body stores this unused energy as fat immediately. Because of this, I'd recommend changing your daily goals to include more proteins and less carbs (I use 40-30-30 and it kept me satisfied on 1400). You'll also feel fuller if you eat more protein!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 1200 calories. I seriously love food.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Some days I can barely eat 1200 cals, somedays it is really easy to go over..... I am eating low carb, and that is a major source of calories, so that makes it easier.

I must admit there is a bunch of stuff in your dairy I don't know
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    orishop!! Hahaha. I live in Vienna Austria!!! So lots of GERMAN stuff...

But yes...as someone mentioned...before I WAS heavy on the Carbs....this is because my husband hates the "protein" rich types...I really had to encourage him to eat more protein by saying "I will buy steak". hehehe.

So I tried to rely on rice and vegetables...or sandwiches ! pfff..

FAIL..

now on 1300...and plan this TRIAL of almost NO carbs (and see how close I get to a less carbs :-)...and HIGH protein.

I bought most of the salad in my local shop! Really...I went out and bought like 6 packs of Rocket and Mixed Salad...so my diary will showing lots of Salad!!

:-)

If this crap doesnt work...I will EAT CAKE!!! pfff!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Whatever you try, stick with it for a few weeks to see really what's happening. Did you try that link I posted earlier? The Scooby Workshop calorie calculator?
  • orishp
    Options
    Whatever you try, stick with it for a few weeks to see really what's happening. Did you try that link I posted earlier? The Scooby Workshop calorie calculator?

This, your body needs time, it works, trust me. Lots of people in here will tell you it doesnt matter what you eat as long as it is below your TDEE. For me it is also about what you ear, i am targetting less than 100 g of carbs/day and over 100g of protein/day.

Find what works for you and your body and stick with it for at least 2-3 weeks

Good luck!
  • sparkle1844
    Options
    thecappacino i TOTALLY get what you are saying from your first post!! Im exactly the same as you, i do eat healthily and love fruit etc but the 1200 calorie allowance does not seem possible. It appears to me that on this diet/calorie counting regime loosing weight means skipping meals and frankly that isn't an option for me because it means i binge and put way more weight on in the long run. A diet that does really work for me (and may work for you too) is the weight watchers diet. With weight watchers all foods have a points value and you must remain within your points value to loose the weight. Its great because loads of vegetables have 0 points which means you can have unlimited amounts and it doesn't effect your points value. Also foods like fruit are really low points. Because of this it makes dieting easy. I saw great results with WW too (i would loose 3 pounds per week on average) so i really would recommend it!! :)
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    thecappacino i TOTALLY get what you are saying from your first post!! Im exactly the same as you, i do eat healthily and love fruit etc but the 1200 calorie allowance does not seem possible. It appears to me that on this diet/calorie counting regime loosing weight means skipping meals and frankly that isn't an option for me because it means i binge and put way more weight on in the long run. A diet that does really work for me (and may work for you too) is the weight watchers diet. With weight watchers all foods have a points value and you must remain within your points value to loose the weight. Its great because loads of vegetables have 0 points which means you can have unlimited amounts and it doesn't effect your points value. Also foods like fruit are really low points. Because of this it makes dieting easy. I saw great results with WW too (i would loose 3 pounds per week on average) so i really would recommend it!! :)

Sparkle....!!! I know that Hudson woman is the huge representative of Weight Watchers...and my husband doesnt like me doing this diet because I don't cook the nice homeade meals anymore....and I am cranky and irritable now...poor darling!

My husband says "vegetables and fruits don't count"!! hehehe. I laugh in his face and tell him to READ all the replies on this site that I should note and jot down every 1g of this and that:-)

I will do this SHCOK low calorie for a week to see if there are any results...just for a "motivational thing"...then I think I will do Weight Watchers.

I would LOVE TO EAT VEGGIES all day! And fruits...not as much because my mother is diabetic...

Thats my next move!!!

:-)
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    Go here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Figure out your TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure by selecting the appropriate activity modifier.

Make it your goal to cut no more than 15-20% of that.

If you want to eat more, you will need to exercise more.

I eat about 2100-2200/day and lose weight. But I run a lot... because I love to run. But I also love to eat.

... guess I'm glad I love to run.

You could also lift instead.

Or both.

Did it!"

It says...TDEE - 2213 calories
    BMR - 1844
    Daily calories for 20% body fat loss - 1770
  • orishp
    Options
    Technically you shouldnt eat below your BMR, that said, I have been eating below my BMR for a long time and I am still losing weight, and mostly fat not muscle.

I am exercising a lot too, and I feel great, even 30 min walking a day is better than nothing
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    when you say you gain on 1750 cals, have you checked to see if it's really fat you're gaining? If you've been eating very little for a long time, then you suddenly eat more, you will gain weight and it'll be water and glycogen, not fat. It takes 3500 calories over your TDEE to gain a pound of fat. However you can put on a lot more water/glycogen weight in a short time (even overnight) just by upping your calories intake, even if you're still in defict.

A lot of people think that they have screwed up their metabolism because of this and that they cannot possibly eat more than their current too low number of calories. this usually comes from them eating that number of calories for a day and seeing a 2-3 lb gain on the scales.... which is water weight. They then think that eating that number each day will equal that many lbs of weight being gained each day, and so they freak out and continue with the very low number of calories they were eating before. The reality is that the sudden weight gains from upping calories comes from water weight and if you carry on eating those calories then your body will adjust to it and you won't gain any more, in fact if the calculators say that you should be in deficit at 1770 cals/day, then you will start losing again at that number of calories after your body's had a chance to adjust. It takes a couple of weeks of monitoring to be sure that you're really gaining *fat* and not just water weight when you up your calories, so unless you've done that, you can't really say that you're gaining at 1750 cals/day.

Even if you have screwed up your metabolism, going to the gym and lifting weights while eating more should fix it. You will gain weight but it'll be water weight, bone and muscle mass, as your body rebuilds itself up again after having wasted away before from too few calories.

My advice is to eat 1770 cals/day, and hit the gym. Ignore any initial weight gains, wait for your body to adjust and you should start seeing not only some more losses but also body composition improvements.

Also, when you factor water weight fluctuations out of the equation, you'd be surprised how much you can eat on one off occasions (e.g. cheat meals) without it damaging your progress, so long as it's not a regular thing.
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    What I have noticed...is that I dont feel FATTER....BUT the reason I decided to get on MFP is because all of a sudden it is like my stomach became BLOATED:::...I mean one day my stomach when up like 6 in!!!

I went to the doctor...but again in Vienna and my german is not strong enough to challenge these doctors....and he gave me something for GAS!!

He says if its not better to come back.

I will go back.

GAS...good grief...

I took some pics of me...and from the front...normal enough...the side view...I look pregnant if I dont hold my tummy in...or like those bloated African babies with huge guts!

pfff!!!
  • llgeisz
    llgeisz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Another issue will always be your activity level. If you are not eating enough to cover what you burn your body may start storing... I am currently doing a 1200 diet... I work out everyday burn about 250 I try to replace most of those calories so I can continue to loose... As to sustainability I can see a point will as my activity level increases my calorie intake will also have to but for now until I get to my goal I will stay on the 1200...