How did you pick where you wanted your GW to be...

Options
xYumzx
xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
I was looking at somethings and was curious as to how everyone picked their GW. Did you go by the charts that said for your height and age and what not you should weigh in around "HERE" or was it something else?

And if you didnt hit your GW, but were happy where you were, would you start to maintain or would you continue to try and hit your GW?

Replies

• NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I picked a body I want to look like (Zuzanna, formerly of BodyRock) and challenges I wanted to accomplish (run a Tough Mudder next summer) and am aiming for that. No clue what the number on the scale will be.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I talked a little with my doctor and he told me that my true ideal weight is a little above what the BMI charts list for me due to my frame. I had to get under the "magic" 200lb. mark so I set my goal at 195. Once I get down to that number, I think it will be easier to see that 200 pound line easily and I will be more able to maintain my weight. Plus I think I will look smashing! :-)

Brian
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    YES
    I went by the charts
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I thought back to when I was younger. My GW is still overweight according to the charts, (185) but I feel that is where I should be.
  • memmers
    memmers Posts: 112
    Options
    I picked 130 cause its in a healthy range for my height and age. It said between 120 and 140 but if i get to a different number and feel good thats where i'll stay, or keep going. Wherever i feel comfertable.
  • ncates00
    ncates00 Posts: 51
    Options
    I don't really have a goal weight. I'm just going until I'm satisfied with my Body Fat%. I'm really close to my goal.

PS- What's with the duck face, OP?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I went by the BMI chart since that's what the doctors go by for what's considered fat.
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    If I went by the 'charts' I would look anorexic. I picked a weight that I knew would be healthy and maintainable long-term.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    I was told by the doc what my weight should be with my height. BUT I picked my goal weight to be 5-10lbs over because I think I would look to skinny and my SO would not like that...lol
  • serentity78
    serentity78 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I kind of went off the ideal weight and what I use to be so I know I use to be 115-120 but to me not realistic anymore so made my gw 130 and I believe under 150 is my ideal weight like the most I can be before obese..... I know 130 is attainable and healthy for me:)
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I know what I look like at 140 lbs, and want to look that good again. I was always an athletic build. If my BF% isn't low enough at 140 I will go lower. I want muscle definition and nice abs. According to BMI charts, I can go as low as 107, but I don't have the bone structure for that weight I don't think. The ultimate goal is to not be at high risk for heart disease, so I probably won't stress as much about my weight once I'm out of that danger zone, I'll be more focused on what I look like not the scale.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't care about charts or useless things like bmi. I set my goal weight to 48kg (106) because I know that I still look chubby at 54kg (119).
  • pichild
    pichild Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There is a site I went to that asked for your gender and height and age... it gives a real goal based on what other people feel comfortable at ...that's all I want not to be the biggest kid on the block anymore...
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    For me it's more about BF% not the weight.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i sort've just made up a figure (that im thinking about changing honestly). It seemed like such a huge feat at the start but halfway home i realize i could probably pass it and then some
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    No method to my GW, other than I thought losing an even 100 lbs would put me back to around the weight I used to be. 282lbs SW - 182lbs GW. No rhyme or reason other than it's sounded good.

I'm going to continue my path until I reach a weight that I feel stronger, and have more energy. I have no idea if that will be at 182lbs or even 170lbs
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I remember being around 9.5 stone at school,(iv not grown since then) I it was too slim now looking back.
    Taking this and bmi into account iv set a target of 150 which give's me a bmi of 25 so spot on.
    However I am lifting weights at the min and i'm hoping to start a strength training program when I get back from honeymoon mid September. Depending on the results will depend on my final weight
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I went by the charts.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 4.5" and picked 125-130 as my GW. I will see how I look and feel at 140 and go from there. When I was down to 154 about 11 years ago, I still wasn't happy with how I looked and what size I was wearing.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 160. This is not my first pony ride and I've been at 150 before and it's super hard to maintain. But, I'm not a small girl by standards. I'm 5'10", large frame (I wear a size 11 sneaker in MENS!) so for me at 160 I'm in really good shape.