It's So Much Easier to Not Buy than to Not Eat

Options
2»

Replies

• Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If I buy it...I eat it. I buy whole, unprocessed foods almost exclusively. My two teenage girls complained alot at first, now it's the norm for all of us. About once a month I buy chips, dip & icecream and we all enjoy it with a movie. We're all loosing weight, feeling better and have alot of fun bonding with our "pig out". :bigsmile:
  • viannee
    viannee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It is definitely much easier to not buy.
    I do buy some snacks but I don't buy them in bulk and I buy ones which are individually packed.
    Or I pack them into serving sizes myself (I love my plastic sealer).
    I keep these because there are moments where I am actually hungry and I don't have easy access to self-prepared meals.
    I write the number calories in BIG numbers on the wrapper as a reminder so I will think twice about eating another pack.
    It tests me sometimes but I like to challenge myself. I also want to prepare myself for a lifetime temptations when I go to maintenance.
    Not to say that I don't reward myself. I do but I pre-plan my "reward" to prevent myself from bingeing.
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Naughty XD lol I eat from the "naughty" list as well- And my man is the same way- he won't change his eating habits for anything- He won't cook either- so catch 22's on him lol. And I don't know about with children- I don't know your situation or your children so this isn't like anything aimed specifically at you- But when I was a child I feel it would have been a little easier for me if those things had not been available at all. I think that having them- being able to indulge in them- and having them withheld gave me this obsession with must have/food reward. As soon as I was getting an allowance or making money I would walk to the convenient store (with some or all of my 5 siblings) and we would buy nothing but soda chips, snack cakes, and candy. I think it's very hard to tell a child no... no no nono NONOnoono. Which is basically what you have to do in that situation every time your at a grocery store or they are thnking about sweets. Funny thing- I'm the only one with a weight problem- they all have naturally high metabolisms.
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I buy the smallest package of whatever it is so I can eat it all and not be tempted by it later. Like a single bag of chips with my Blimpie sandwich or the occasional snickers.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I like this one too, the phrase "deprive myself of all goodies" is out of my life
    I buy the smallest package of whatever it is so I can eat it all and not be tempted by it later. Like a single bag of chips with my Blimpie sandwich or the occasional snickers.
  • jennadiane_
    jennadiane_ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree. If I buy junk food, I eat the junk food.

So I just don't buy it. I have kids and they want the cookies and chips every once and awhile, so I make sure I get something that I don't like this way I'm not tempted to eat it and it's still there for their dessert after dinner, or with their lunch.

I stopped buying soda YEARS ago because my husband would drink so much of it, so now we don't drink soda rarely if at all. There are some foods that I like soda with (ie; pizza) so now I just drink seltzer water with those foods.

It's the whole, "if you build it, they will come".
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The only things I've stopped buying in bulk (family size) are chips and chocolate. Now I only get them once a week (1 serving) and that's it for the week. It has definitely helped.
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I stop buying and start saving $$$$. Seeing more $$$$ in my bank book brings more pleasure than eating oreos in bulk (+regreting over it later).
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    JD you have a stomach of steel- Seltzer water- cannot lol.
  • nikkicormier82
    nikkicormier82 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i buy occasionally. I can NOT deprive myself of the things i love forever!!!!!!!!!

Chips, pizza, and beer is my weakness and i do not mind indulging SOMETIMES, it makes the journey much easier. I work hard and eat right 95% of the time, so i don't think it will hurt to have a handful or two of chips occasionally.

People tend to binge if they deprive themselves.... But you are right!!! If you don't buy it than you are not tempted which is the way to go:))))
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have learned to just skip the isles in the middle of the supermarkets.
    This is usually where all the prepackaged junk is.

The outer isles usually only have stuff like fresh fruit and veg, bread, oats, pasta etc.

I stick with these isles, because even just looking at the junk will make me want to buy it and if I buy it, I will usually eat it within the same day as well. This is my way of resisting temptation.
  • Chillyw
    Chillyw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've found that I stay the most consistent when I decide I will stay within my calorie goal and eat what I want but measure everything. If I can fit it in my weight loss calorie goal and I want it, I'll eat it. I've also reduced my cheat day to eating what I want but not above maintenance calories.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I believe that if I crave it, I should eat it. My problem is if its in the house and I hit one of thsoe "I'm hungry and I don't know what to eat" moods... I have zero will power or self control and I will eat whatever junk my husband left behind (he has this annoying habit of eating 9/10ths of a bag of chips, leaving the rest in the cupboard... grrrrr... I eat them because they're there, not because I want them!)

Plus, its much nicer to take a walk to buy an ice cream cone than to just devour a bowl sitting in front of the TV.

So I've been good about just not buying them, and the husband is slowly getting on board with it :D
  • RunAlyndaRun
    RunAlyndaRun Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I don't buy. I have no self control. I even limit visits to my parents house. They always have tons of sweets and junk food.

I would say that you do have self control if you don't buy it:-) Good for you!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I don't buy food that i would eat in one sitting. If I crave those foods, I WALK to the nearest store (ok, it's only 3 blocks away) and buy a single serving. It cures my craving and I don't binge.

Of course, I'm surely not perfect so I still have my days, but I'm sure trying!
  • RunAlyndaRun
    RunAlyndaRun Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I gave up Little Debbie's Snacks; I would eat the entire box in a day or two. No more Oreos at all. We buy Skinny Cow ice cream treats, sugar free Popsicles, and no sugar added Blue Bell ice cream.

I realized that since I'm the one doing the shopping for my family of four, I am the one responsible for what's in the house. My husband's eating habits have gotten better along with my own. My kids don't need to develop bad food habits either.

I DO occasionally pick up a single serving of whatever I'm craving at that moment. I just choose not to temp myself with an entire package of it.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, i don't buy it. If I do buy it, with the intention of 'just having a bit' now and again, I always fail. Things scream at me from the cupboard to be eaten. I have absolutely no self control when it comes to junk food.

Things i have stopped having in the house:
    1) Ben & Jerry's ice cream
    2) Walkers sensations crisps (150g bags)
    3) Onion rings
    4) Chocolate bars
    5) Cheesecake
    6) Cakes of any kind
    7) Take aways (pizza mainly)

I order the multi deals on pizza with the intention of making it last 2 meals or something. It never does.

If i really desperately crave something and can't shake it, then i walk to Tesco and buy a small portion. Burn a few cals walking to the shop and get annoyed at spending money i don't have on crap. Its amazing how many times I have talked myself out of going.
  • rebecc6
    rebecc6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We are all so different, it is hard to say for sure what works for one person will work for another. There are some foods that I cannot have around either. Although I can control and portion most of my food. For me, it also depends on who is around while I am eating.

My husband keeps a ton of junk in the house. I refuse to buy it, which has kept it to a minimum lately. This has really been a new struggle for me. I recently married, which means now I have to other food issues that I never had before. For example, having food in the house that I would not normally buy, and issues with kids and their eating habits.

I cannot go to a mexican restaurant where there is a limitless supply of chips and salsa (or worse, cheese dip)!