Ok calories seem very low

Options
Is this a problem, we are eating three meals a day 3 egg white omellette, with fresh veggies and lean ham slices, (oscarmier smoked deli 3 slices per), in the morning.

We had 3.5 ounces of grilled chicken seasoned with taco seasoning(old elpeso) red bell pepper, red onion, green onion, with with a 1/2 cup of cooked rice, for lunch.

Dinner was a salad with 3.5 ounces of grilled chicken, cucumber, red onion, green onion, bell pepper, tomato, and a zero cal dressing. For snacks 2 pickle halves so a full pickle.

Which totals out to just under 700 calories. We feel full and energized even though this is only day three.

Tommorow changing to fresh caught walleye for a protien.

Does this seem ok?

Replies

• bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You need more calories than that, I was eating about 1000-1100 calories per day before and hardly losing weight but now that I'm eating what MFP tells me to and sometimes even over it I've been losing again. What I try to do is drink juices like green machine, etc. because they're somewhat high in calories and have a ton of nutrients.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem with calories myself. I eat about every two hours but I am only hitting 200-300 per big meal and then snacks are about 90 cal each...at the end of the day I barely make 1200. Let me know if you figure out something!!! :)
  • icculus19
    icculus19 Posts: 39
    Options
    def your cals are to low. you need at least 1200 per day just for your body to preform its natural functions. also you will crash soon and binge. also you are slowing your metabolism down and you will plateau very soon
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    700 is way too low. Your body needs more fuel to get through a typical day. You don't want to start metabolizing your muscles. My suggestion is to add a few snacks in between. Pick something high caloric that is healthy like almonds or an avocado. It's great that you aren't famished on such a low calorie diet, but still...your body needs more.
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree that your calories are way too low. I would nix the pickle snack since that won't add any calories to your total. For snacks, try apples with peanut butter, cottage cheese or yogurt with berries, whole wheat toast with avocado ...healthy snacks that will bulk up your calories. Also, try adding in olive oil - like cooking your meat in it, etc. - it ups your calories without adding a lot to your meals (since you said you are already feeling full). 700 calories is too low to eat consistently for any length of time.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    700 is too low. Minimum is 1200. You should be eating 10-20% less than your TDEE.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I would be passing out from hunger with that low of a calorie count after 1.5 days. Are you having any beverages or condiments or oils for cooking to go along with you main ingredients? If so, you may be closer to the 1200 recommended calories and should feel full.

You may be getting more calories somewhere. I just can't imagine that after 3 days of only eating 700 calories a day that you are feeling fine and not ready to kill someone for a slice of pizza.
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with using the egg yolk in the omellette?
  • ryanumuc
    ryanumuc Posts: 4
    Options
    Ok the break down is that we where not using any cooking oils, pam spray if needed was trying to stay away from cooking with oils using mainly non stick cook wear and water as a moisture if needed. the chicken was grilled early in the week with no oils just some spice rubs. (adding max of 15 calories)

For Gary theres nothing wrong with it just like the flavor of the egg white better. Beverages are water usually bottled nestle of nestle water with crystal light. (10 calaories per packet) We will see what we can do. :)
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    extra virgin olive oil
    butter
    coconut oil/milk
    salmon
    full fat dairy
    nuts

All very calorie dense, you only need a few tiny servings per day and you can easily add on 300-500good quality calories.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options

Which totals out to just under 700 calories. We feel full and energized even though this is only day three.

Not sure what figures you're using to calc it, but without including ANY of the veggies I still see this combination of foods at about 900 calories. Adding in the veggies you're probably closer to 1100?

Remember - fat doesn't make you fat!! And your body NEEDS it to absorb the vitamins and nutrients from those veggies!

Add in a little more fat from healthy sources (toss some avocado or olive oil on that salad!) and you'd probably be up to 1300-1400 already.
  • Kera885
    Kera885 Posts: 59
    Options
    I'd get some peanut butter if I were you. It's really addicting and very calorie dense, my only advice would be to check the packaging and make sure it isn't loaded with artificial sugars, there are some very good peanut butters out there. In any case a few tablespoons should put you where you should be and if you pair it up with an apple it's a great snack.