Don't Understand TDEE and BMR --- HELP!!!

Options
I am so confused by this! My TDEE is 2248 and my BMR is 1450. So how many cals should I be eating? I seriously need help with this. I have been using MFP for about 3 weeks and have not lost a pound. At first, my cals were set at 1200 and I was struggling to get them all. I have now upped it ( a couple of days ago) to 1500. Is that where I should be? Please help!!!

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised

Try this site and it will give you a really good explanation + an idea of how much you should eat. Good luck!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Second the site above or do search of the topic.
  • LovesPrimes
    LovesPrimes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I also say look at the road map post. I did last weekend and upped my calories (from 1200) to 1500 since Sunday and have lost 2.6 lbs this week! I know it goes against our intuition but it's all about finding the "sweet spot" between BMR and TDEE for each person. Yours may be 20% below TDEE or it may be a little higher or lower. Hang in there! The weight will come off.

BTW, since I am still considered obese by BMI, I went with 30% below TDEE. I will adjust that as I drop into the overweight category in just 7 lbs.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You should lose weight eating anything under TDEE. 1200 is the least you should eat.

Did you start a new exercise program? That can make the scale not move for a while. Are you tracking all the time, carefully? Are you 'eating back'?
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am doing Jillian Michael's BOdy Revolution...just finished phase 1 (first month). I do not usually eat back my burned cals. Should I?
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think 'eating back' trips a lot of people up because they overestimate their burns. I think you should be fine eating 1500. Like I said, with new exercise, the scale isn't going to show you the true story. Your body will be doing some stuff with water and possibly muscle at first, which 'hides' fat loss from the scale. You just have to stick to your guns and realize no matter the scale says, you're doing something good for your body. In my experience, the scale catches up in time, usually in big one-time losses every few weeks.