night time eating

Options
I have discovered lately that when i eat before bed most nights in a week that i gain 3 or 4 lbs that week but then the next week i will do good and then i will lose that weight. So in my journey i know that to have consistent success i really need to break this habit. I hsve been yo yoing for the last two months. I think i know my problem. I eat too little in the daytime for breakfast and sometimes lunch and then i am hungry later in the day. I think i need to make sure i have a good breakfast and plan ahead so i can just grab stuff in the morning. Does anyone else have this problem of night time eating?

Replies

• lessofme65
    lessofme65 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat more at night also. I think it may have to do with the fact that dinner is the only meal that I get to relax and eat at home. Meals I eat at work are more or less grazing. I have been doing alot of that lately and am working to change it. I find when I'm on the computer at night, right next to the kitchen, I tend to want and eat more. Changing my location is helpful so think I'll start heading upstairs at night to avoid tempting fate. Think I need to eat more complete meals instead of eating numerous small portions, leads to grazing all day for me.

Thanks for bringing it up. I definitely have some work to do but it will be so worth it.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    I have discovered lately that when i eat before bed most nights in a week that i gain 3 or 4 lbs that week but then the next week i will do good and then i will lose that weight. So in my journey i know that to have consistent success i really need to break this habit. I hsve been yo yoing for the last two months. I think i know my problem. I eat too little in the daytime for breakfast and sometimes lunch and then i am hungry later in the day. I think i need to make sure i have a good breakfast and plan ahead so i can just grab stuff in the morning. Does anyone else have this problem of night time eating?

Eating at night in upon itself will not cause weight gain. Meal timing and frequency show no real scientific advantage for weight loss as long as you are meeting your calories and macros. What are you eating? How much are you eating? THOSE are the things you need to look at.

I have a snack after dinner most nights, often as late as 9pm or 10pm. I am losing just fine.
  • jmoralesx5
    jmoralesx5 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Try to break apart your day. For example I eat breakfast before I go to work, I eat yogurt or some sort of snack on my first breatk, lunch at lunch, another healthy snack on my second break and then dinner when I get home and then another healthy snack in the evening. Get yourself into that rhythm and it might help. But it has to be small meals!
  • VSkyJess
    VSkyJess Posts: 5
    Options
    I am a notorious night time eater. Some nights I feel like I can't sleep until I eat SOMETHING. But for me, I avoid this by keeping a pretty active eating schedule. If I eat every two hour then I stay satisfied. There may be no scientific data to back up my claims, but being able to go to bed without having to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is proof enough for me. Maybe try it for a day and see how you feel.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I tend to sit down in front of the tv or the computer after dinner and then want to munch til bed time. I've cut that out by keeping a bottle of water next to me. When I think about cheating, I'll drink my water instead.
  • chinyere95
    chinyere95 Posts: 14
    Options
    I tend to sit down in front of the tv or the computer after dinner and then want to munch til bed time. I've cut that out by keeping a bottle of water next to me. When I think about cheating, I'll drink my water instead.

I do this too actually. If I feel like snacking I try to go for water instead. I have a candy bowl too with fun sized candy that usually cures my sweet tooth as well. Since they're bite sized they don't usually sabotage my calorie goals but they cure my cravings if I have on or 2 pieces. I also try not to hang out near my kitchen at night because it just tempts me.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    "I have a candy bowl"

What! How on earth do you have an open bowl of candy next to or in front of you and not empty it in about half an hour??? I couldn't possibly do that - an open packet is an empty packet for me - and that applies to bowls full of candy too!

(There are all those smileys available and not the one I want - the one with the eyes out on stalks - "amazed!")

To the OP, you could clean your teeth after your evening meal - it's a little barrier to eating more. Find something to keep yourself busy. And you could experiment with eating more in the daytime - you may find you want fewer snacks at night.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    Eating at night in upon itself will not cause weight gain. Meal timing and frequency show no real scientific advantage for weight loss as long as you are meeting your calories and macros. What are you eating? How much are you eating? THOSE are the things you need to look at.
    What she said. Your body doesn't know what time it is, so it's not the timing that matters....what matters is how much you're eating and whether you're creating a sufficient caloric deficit (staying within your allotted calories).
  • ashsmile78
    ashsmile78 Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the ideas. I am going to look at what i am eating at night. Even though i am skipping breakfast the stuff i eat at night is not really replacing that meal since it is so high in fat and calories typically. So i think the key for me is to eat earlier in the day so i make better choices. I know this but it helps to sound it out and see it in writing. I am going to try the water thing instead and try to go upstairs earlier and maybe go to bed a little earlier too. And if i get stuck eating later in the day and want to eat at night i will just keep my caloric intake down and keep it on the lean and healthy side. Thanks again for all the suggestions. It was helpful! Oh and i definitely can't do the candy bowl either which just goes to show you we are all different.