can you recommend a good heart rate monitor

Options
mjpisat
mjpisat Posts: 46 Member
that will show how many calories I'm burning. Something that isn't too crazy expensive. do they all require you to wear a strap around your chest?

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you need the chest strap to get the most accurate reading. Don't worry, it's really not uncomfortable at all!
    I've used Polar heart rate monitors for almost 10 years. Wouldn't use anything else! You can go to their website and check out all the features. Personally, I like tracking the number of calories burned but some people find they don't need this function.:flowerforyou: Hope this helps!
  • aliciagudino
    aliciagudino Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have the PolarFT4 and I love it. The only thing I wish it did was track distance, but that's okay, I mainly wanted to track calories anyway. It was about $62 on BodyTronics.com (I found about $15 cheaper than Ebay or Amazon)...there's also a ton of readings on this, if you search it in the forums. Lots of people recommend Polar tho :)
  • amandal00
    amandal00 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the Polar FT4. I love mine and have used it for almost a year.
  • bmarie612
    bmarie612 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4! I could have got mine cheaper :/ ugh. I paid $90 at ****s.
  • mjpisat
    mjpisat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    These for a dude?
  • barnybyrd
    barnybyrd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    They have both a womens and mens edition.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My wife has a pretty pink FT4
    I have a masculine black and silver FT7

Both are pretty much the same, however mine has the capabilty to connect to the Polar website to upload my data. Not a feature that I use to be honest

Both are excellent
  • BearLikeTheAnimal
    BearLikeTheAnimal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a Garmin employee, I'm going to have to recommend a... Garmin. lol.
  • skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4...do you have to wear both the chest strap and watch at the same time for it to work or can you wear one without the other?
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    I want to know this too. My teen says I need to wait until the Pebble comes out - some type of watch thing that will cost $150 - not so sure yet. :ohwell:
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4. I love it. Yes, you need the chest strap. When I was first thinking about buying a HRM, I thought a chest strap would be annoying and tried to find a way to get one without it. But you need it. The transmitter snaps onto the strap which then sends the data to the watch on your wrist. Trust me, after you wear it a couple times, you forget it's even there when you have it on. You can get it cheaper on Amazon.com or Heartratemonitorsusa.com.
  • lewis350
    lewis350 Posts: 53
    Options
    Loving my new Polar PT60 HRM!
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. Love it!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    do they all require you to wear a strap around your chest?

only the ones worth buying
  • camelothosting
    camelothosting Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a timex Iron man Running watch with the GPS and HRM
    I love it
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    Have an FT7. Would have gotten an FT4 but didn't like the colors. FT7 is about $20 more than FT4 and also tells you if you're burning fat or increasing aerobic fitness. Which you can find on the Internet anyways, but well, I'll pay an extra 20 if I like the look.better bc I wear it all the time.