Heart Rate Monitor or Not?

Options
What's everyone's opinions on Heart Rate Monitors. I am looking into getting a heart rate monitor watch because everyone tells me not to rely on the machines but when I looked at the Reviews of Heart rate monitors there are several negative comments about how they don't think they count calories correctly. If you have one, where did you get it and if you don't mind saying how much it was. Thanks.

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40 that I got on Amazon for about $110. I have a suspicion that it overestimates my calorie burns, but I think it is still useful for gauging my heart rate and effort level.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Get one.I don't know how I lived without mine before. But make sure you get one with a chest strap so it's more accurate. I have the Polar FT4 and I got it for around $80 on Amazon. I love it cause it's a little bit moreedsimple than the other models but it's also a bit cheaper. And it's water proof so you can wear it in the pool. Hope this helped!
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it. Purchased from Amazon for a little less than $60.

My HRM calories burned are higher than the gym machines state. But, the HRM takes your height, weight, age, etc into consideration when calculating.

It's an awesome tool for me!
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and absolutely LOVE it. Comes with a chest strap and the watch. i think my husband paid a little over $100.00 for it off the Polar site.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I received a Polar FT7 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it - it gives me a more accurate reading than the numbers here on MFP, because it is geared more towards me.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight doing whatever youre doing, then its a fun gadget. However if you need to see what you are burning to up your fitness or get a better gauge of what youve burned so you know what to eat back, then an HRM is helpful.

That being said, I just got a Polar FT4 this week and I love it !
  • ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do not have one yet but hearing only positive things about the polar line. Go to the website and check hem out I am working to get a ft7 sometime this year. If u do a forum search about hrm someone posted a sight to get a good discount but it seems amazon is just as good
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    My husband just got me the Polar RS400 for my 40th birthday :) I haven't had a chance to set it up, but like others have mentioned, I think it has to be a GREAT tool for assessing your OWN activity level so you are more accurate on your calorie burns and making sure you are eating enough...I think I tend to underestimate, but I could be wrong!

I think it's a great thing to have and worth the purchase!
  • momof4greatkids1
    momof4greatkids1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have used a HRM for years. It's great for training. There are simple calculations you can do to figure your max heart rate, then base your training intensity on your heart rate zones. It adds another layer of complexity, however, that is really not necessary. You can use perceived exertion as a simple, cost-free way to measure your intensity. The important thing is to make sure you are getting to at least 90% of you max heart rate, or a perceived exertion of 9 out of ten, with your cardio interval training. You will burn more calories that way and also improve your endurance.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i bought mine from a UK chain of Lloyds Pharmacy for £23.00 for the watch and chest strap
    i dont have a lot of disposable money, and figures that something is better than nothing - my personal trainer swapped his Polar for mine, and for a 60 minute run, mine was only 20 something calories different to what his normally says, so im guessing its accurate enough for me coz i round all my calories burned down anyway
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, I usually shave a little off my burns anyway, i much rather think i've burned less than i did than more
  • LeslePG
    LeslePG Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to spend the money, but the gps tracker on my Ipod is so crazy out of whack that I had to splurge and get one~ boy is it worth it! Make sure you get one with the chest strap~ I have the Polar FT4 and got it at www.heartratemonitorsusa.com....think it was on sale for $68. Can't live without it :happy:
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine has a watch, she got it at walmart, but i'm not sure of the name. and it has a heart rate moniter and all kinds of other things on it, and it beeps at her when she is in a "fat burning zone"
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I adore my pt4. My zumba instructer has one and mine tells me 450 on average for a class and hers tells her about 800. She's way more intense then I am and we figure it's about spot on. I know it's much better then the monitor for my eliptical. Just make sure whatever you have comes with a chest strap.
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Check out Nike+ sportswatch ...track heart rate, ave pace, distance, calories,

nikeplus.nike.com

You'll need to get polar chest strap to link to watch...
  • KettlebellTess
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40 that I got on Amazon for about $110. I have a suspicion that it overestimates my calorie burns, but I think it is still useful for gauging my heart rate and effort level.

I have a Polar FT40 as well. Just got it and wore it for a kettlebell workout yesterday. I think it UNDERestimates! LOL
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Polar FT60 to help track my HR during cycling and daily activities. I can't give you a review yet, but I definitely don't trust the calorie counts on the workout machines.

Polar seems to have great reviews and a lot of experience with HRMs. Their website also has a helpful tool to identify the right model for you based on your goals. For me, it recommended the FT60 or FT80.

Amazon is a MUCH better price than retail...I saved over 30% compared to local sporting goods stores.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the HRMs with chest straps are much more reliable than the watch-only types.

I have a Timex T5H881 Zone Trainer that I got from Amazon.com for about $60, and shipping was free (it runs about $100 if you find it in a sporting goods shop). I honestly love this thing - does all the basics I need it to do, and it's less expensive than the Polar HRMs, which, as you can probably tell, are by far the most popular brand you'll see recommended here.
  • Choltor
    Choltor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Throwing my vote in for the Polar FT7, I absolutely love it.

You know how with MyFitnessPal, you start to learn more about how your diet is affecting you, and notice how different foods really help or hurt? That's what the HRM has done for me when it comes to exercise.

They aren't perfect, and if you want to get the most out of them you might need to do a small bit of research, but overall I would definitely recommend getting a heart rate monitor.