I can't seem to eat 1200 calories!

Options

Replies

• mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I understand your advice but it is wrong for this lady. Fruits against veg are full of sugar. too much sugar if not burnt as energy simplex carbs will turn to fat. So veg is a better option.

(short version)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    my lunch is right about 900 today. if I add a protein shake, that's 200-300 or a bit more. there ya go.
  • mermx
    Options
    IM KINDA SICK & TIRED OF IT ALSO. ITZ 1200 CALS. DATZ CRAZY!!!!
    1200 CALS IZ NOTHING. DA REASON U CNT EAT DAT MUCH IZ BCZ U HV BEEN STARVING
    UR BODY & NOW WEN U TRY 2 EAT MORE CALS U GET FULL QUICKER
    U HV LOWERED U METABOLISM SO MUCH DAT DAT UR CALS CAN ONLY MATCH DAT
    INTAKE. U GOTTA FIX DAT. WORKOUT HARDER & TRUST ME U WILL B HUNGRIER

And OM gosh! you do not need to type in caps or text speak!

1200 cals a day is not crazy if that is the cals you get from MFP.

You can eat 1200 cals a day healthily and add exercise cals for more good foods
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    I understand your advice but it is wrong for this lady. Fruits against veg are full of sugar. too much sugar if not burnt as energy simplex carbs will turn to fat. So veg is a better option.

(short version)

um ... no.
  • secondchance82
    Options
    Sucks to be you! I can throw that down in a single meal.
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same. I added a protein shake and granola bar and usually some yogurt. At least then you aren't eating crap. I was honestly AFRAID to eat my calories and I never felt hungry...so why eat? Because your body NEEDS you to! I was feeling tired and weak and still going to the gym. I was afraid eating more would reverse my progress. It DOESN'T! You are hurting yourself when you think it's ok. I'm still struggling but the more I eat, the better I feel, the more energy I have to put forth effort at the gym. It's a cycle. :) good luck with your struggle!
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am really not being rude and I hope you won't mind me asking but I am curious to know how you gained weight in the first place if you can't even eat 1200 calories per day?

First off to the person I am quoting. You can gain it like I did by sitting on my butt all day when I was having a bad day and depressed or even stressed. I would eat a bag of chips or something and those things have a TON of calories but are not filling. Now at first I couldn't eat the 1200 either- I ate more chicken and things like that and I was filled up faster.

For the OP find something you like to eat that isn't just pure junk like that bag of chips and work it into your diet and start finding other things. For me it was a 4 granola bars a day now I am down to 1 maybe 2. So just find something you know you like and go with that and slowly add other things in and cut that out :) Best of luck!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    not being able to eat 1200 is hard..for many people out here. And if you are sick of hearing about it...be grateful that you have probably not been overweight most of your life..and been on every diet known to man..and have been taught the only way to lose is to eat practically nothing...it takes trial and error to reprogram your brain into thinking you can actually eat good amounts of food to loose...

Ease up on peoples weight issues and eating struggles that you might not understand :)

I am one..that struggles...after exercise to net 1200..I actually strive to hit my BMR.. but again..like many have already mentioned... whey protein shakes.. 2 scoops..some lovely greek yogurt...maybe a tablespoon of pbutter...cup of ice in a blender and waallla!...can give you a good 450(estimate) That has really helped me...and in the summer with the ice..its very refreshing :)

Good luck..
  • mermx
    Options

(short version)

um ... no.

um yes
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    NUTS!

they are high cal and good for you. I had 500 cals of nuts with some Greek yoghurt the other day, it wasn't a lot of nuts either.
  • Brdrclymom
    Brdrclymom Posts: 13
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started my new eating habits. I was afraid I would eat the wrong things, then i started finding good recipes. I just bought Hungry Girl's 300 under 300 cookbook. 300 recipes under 300 calories! Lots of yummy stuff. and you know how may calories you are getting so you can plan your meals. good luck!
  • tsh0ck
    Options

(short version)

um ... no.

um yes

ah. so you are in the 'sugar is the devil' brigade. gotcha.
  • mermx
    Options

(short version)

um ... no.

um yes

ah. so you are in the 'sugar is the devil' brigade. gotcha.

Yes, for sure I am, prove me wrong??
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    unless you have diabetes, sugar doesn't matter if you are eating well in a caloric deficit. I promise.
  • blondie6688
    Options
    Aren't we supposed to be supportive on this site??? Everyone has "their" stuff/issues with dieting.
  • maddienbugsmom
    Options
    I have had the same problem. I am trying to up the calorie intake also but as a full time student who works at a desk job, there hasn't been much time to incorporate exercise into my day. I am not understanding why someone would advise you to eat ice cream or Doritos, or any other high calorie-low response food. I eat 3 meals a day, all with protein in them. I also have at least two snacks a day, sometimes more. Snacks are natural fruit and vegetables. I also have at least 2 or more vegetables with my meals. I have cut out soda and any sugar that is not coming from a natural source such as fruit. I also make sure that I have a dairy product at two of the meals. I can see why a lot of people might say you are putting your body in starvation mode but if you listen to your body and you are full then why would you want to continue eating, putting more calories in your body that are not necessary just to meet a number that may or may not be your ideal calorie count based on your eating habits and activity level? I listen to my body. And to me honest, the only time i have met my calorie goal is when I have indulged on a burger and fries from Garfield's or Montana Mikes restaurant. Not the best food choice and even worse to consume most of your calories in one sitting. You want an even amount of calories throughout the day to maintain the feeling of being satisfied, not starving. Just listen to your body, only you know YOU!
  • mermx
    Options
    unless you have diabetes, sugar doesn't matter if you are eating well in a caloric deficit. I promise.

And the OP did not say they had diabetes? So prove me wrong?

If you are going to give advice and support then you need to give it correctly?

Eating too much fruit/smoothies/sugar will not help you to lose weight. It will give you a high after you have eaten it/if you do not burn it then it will store as fat. (short version again)
  • mermx
    Options
    Aren't we supposed to be supportive on this site??? Everyone has "their" stuff/issues with dieting.

I am super supportive and motivational to my friends and always like to support new people, but I don`t want people to read stuff that is not correct, even if it has the best intentions.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    what were you eating when you put on all the weight?
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    I oversleep a lot so by the time I get up to eat breakfast, it's lunch!
    Just some "food for thought": If you ate a nutritionally balanced diet you would not be so tired that you sleep 1/2 of your day away.