Treadmills & Heart Rate Monitors.

Options
Yesterday while I was at the gym, I noticed a girl and guy on a treadmill and the HR was constantly changing on the treadmill but they were running so they weren't holding onto it for the machine to read the bars. Yet I didn't notice a HRM watch type of thing. Can you get your HRM to relay information to the treadmill and/or other work out equipment?

Replies

• ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I notice my HRM transmits my heart rate to the machines in the gym where I workout but the calories are not the same as what my HRM gives me. So yes, the HRM does transmit some data.
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A lot of the life fitness equipment, which is used by both Gold's and Planet Fitness will pick up on a Polar HRM chest strap. You don't need the watch, just the strap.
  • morgynsmama
    Options
    Maybe she just had the chest strap on, no watch needed
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The cardio equipment at my gym is compatible with Polar HRMs. During my one training session, my PT had me strap on their HRM and jump on the equipment - and it synced right up. Could be a similar situation at your gym. OR, it could just be that the HRM on the treadmill was out of whack and going crazy all by itself (that's happened before at my gym too! haha)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    yes... just wear the chest strap with transmitter. no need for watch in that case. will transmit to both if you have the watch though.
  • cortexx
    cortexx Posts: 15
    Options
    "but the calories are not the same as what my HRM gives me."

Different brands use different algorithms to calculate calories burned. I am pretty sure my Polar watch HRM is a little optimistic :P