2 big for floor exercises? HELP

Options
Hey everyone..I am doing this really basic exercise plan, and it's basically a pyramid effect. You start out very small and increase day by day...

Well I have been doing it for 8 days, and today's "exercise" was 65 jumping jacks and 20 situps.

First off, please don't reply with "you need to do more."

Second off, I am doing what I feel my body can do right now.

Anyway, I got down on the ground to do my sit ups and when I came up the first time, an entire pain shock went up my spine and down it, and I could feel my back spasm.

Now, I can't sit up straight in a chair without pain shootings in my back.

I am 318lbs.

Is there such a thing as being too big for floor exercises?

Replies

• megancarlotta
    Options
    First of all- you are doing it! The hardest part is starting!

I think this plan sounds great, and I don't think you are too heavy to be doing these types of exercises. What type of shoes are you wearing? You may need more support in your feet. From your description it sounds like you made have pulled something which can happen to anyone, regardless how big or small they are. I would try to ice it- bag of frozen peas can be helpful in a time like this since they can conform to whatever body part you need to ice. Give your body some rest and then start by lightly stretching. I have thrown my back out a couple of times and it really helps. A week ago I tried a Kettlebell class and thought I really hurt myself. In the end, I was just using muscles I haven't used in a very long time or ever, so I was extremely sore for a couple of days, but it does get better!

Keep me posted on how you are doing! Stay with it, you are going to do great! :)
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i have a similar problem due to a slight problem with my back.. you might try leg lifts instead, and see if that works better for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP45ZJd3TIM
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have a shifted vertebrae in my lower back and sometimes situps or reverse crunches on the ground can irritate it, if you do have back problems, maybe modify the situp using an exercise ball for crunches which will support your back and you will still get in the exercise.

To answer your initial question, no one is every too big to exercise, but from my experience and in my opinion there are a few things my body just can't do right now, so I simply modify the exercise to get the same/similar workout and it works for me. We all can't always do everything, but we can certainly still move our bodies and get in a good workout one way or another.

Good luck, hope your back feels better soon!

Take care!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    There's better things to be doing with your time than ab work. A walk would be great.
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    First of all, I want to congratulate you on all of your efforts towards good health.

I can totally relate to the floor exercises. If I get on the floor, I cannot get up very easily. It's very painful, too.

I have found a heavy duty core ball to do crunches and other exercises helps a great deal. Also, if being on the floor hurts you too much, perhaps you can adapt the exercises while sitting in a chair (like a kitchen chair, not a sofa).

Good luck, and keep up the great work!!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    are you doing some light stretching before you get moving into those exercises, if not consider it, cold muscles can get some nasty glitches when strained
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You may want to try something lower impact than jumping jacks. Walking is always a good exercise. If you want a dvd Leslie Sansone (sp?) has some walking ones that lots of people seem to like. Also low impact aerobics ones can be good too. I get back and hip pain and sometimes jarring things just hurt. If you can take water aerobics that is very non-jarring and is great for people who have joint pain. My hubs has very bad joints and his best exercises are walking and water walking.

I would try alternating ice and heat. Ibuprofen helps reduce swelling. Gentle stretching can help too. Take a break from any jarring exercises until your back feels better. If it doesn't get better you may want to check with a dr.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    First of all, way to go!

That kind of shooting pain is usually nerve related. I'm a big lady myself and am currently recovering from herniating several discs in my back 8 months ago - it's easy to do if you're very heavy. It's also VERY easy to strain your back doing sit-ups, which is why most physical therapists etc recommend crunches. Seriously, I started a similar program a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it, and by day two I was having shooting lower back pain again. It's an outdated exercise. Crunches are just as effective without the risk of injury.

There are lots and lots of great floor exercises that target your abs. Try flutter kicks, toe taps, and bicycle crunches. Try looking up pilates routines. A lot of people will argue that ab isolation isn't important, but when you've been sedentary for some time it's important to strengthen your core before moving on to more complex exercise, simply to avoid injury (IMO).

Edit: But I too would recommend walking. I and lots of other people have lost weight and gained strength doing nothing else.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Might need more of a warm up to get those muscles and back stretched out. Sounds like jumping jacks would be good warm up but do some gentle stretching of back right after before doing abs. The floor can be hard on backs for sure. I agree a stability ball makes ab work easier on the back.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    sit ups are rather advanced I would say. You should look into walking or a stationary bike as a start , you get a decent work out and it's not too hard on you since you are using your own weight as resistance.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I would like to add exercise doesn't have to feel like work, my favorite starters were richard simmons dance dvds and walking
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! Congrats for even doing all that! But it sounds to me that you have pulled a muscle in your back. So lay low for awhile and rest that back do something other than that. Stretch before starting any exercise, that's very important, especially since we haven't used any muscle prior to coming here most of the time. Good luck, your doing great so keep up the good work!
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    As someone who also has 150+ to lose, I understand completely. Having that much weight puts a lot of strain on your body that someone much smaller can't understand. You can certainly work your way up to any exercise, but you need to listen to your body. Swimming is an excellent workout that won't put any strain on your back, hips, or knees. Also, YouTube has an endless supply of workout tips and routines for morbidly obese people. Here are a few I like.

http://youtu.be/W9kd6G2rLlM
    http://youtu.be/PGfyr5O8KGU
    http://youtu.be/s40-qyUK-5Y

If you need any support from someone who is in the same place, feel free to friend me.
  • Bigjayinga
    Bigjayinga Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know the feeling. I was at 386 at one time. Try using a bench for your sit ups. It worked fot me? Have you tried crunches ?
  • lasarazen
    lasarazen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First of all, at the level of conditioning you are at (no offense intended, just want you to have correct information), floor exercises or other exercises where you are supported by a solid surface (as someone mentioned, a chair, or wall, etc) is absolutely the way to start off safe. HOWEVER, as a certified personal trainer, I will tell you that doing exercises using any unstable medium (i.e. stability balls, Bosu) is NOT recommended for both your technique level AND for lower back pain (acute or chronic). Also, lifting two legs simultaneously while lying on your back puts you at risk for exacerbating your back pain. Sounds like where you are at at this point, you should be focusing on static core stability exercises (e.g. modified plank, supine pelvic tilts, etc), and definitely shelve the sit ups. All the suggestions for walking are great though. Remember consistency is the key for walking to have the most benefit, even if you are only walking 10-15 minutes, stick to it for at least 5 days every week, then over time, increase the duration of each walk. I have no idea what your previous exercise experience is, or other pertinent data that would be necessary for someone to give you safe, effective exercise advice, but be very careful taking the advice of random bulletin board posts when you have an issue that can be potentially injurious (making your back pain worse with contraindicated exercise modalities). Keep on and get strong!
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    From someone who was 334 lbs at one time, I don't think you're too big for floor exercises, but I might suggest walking for an exercise that is easier on your joints than the floor exercises are. I agree also with a previous about the board for situps. I had an old sit-up bench that I got from my dad (he had it stashed in his garage) and I used it for years when I was SMO (over 300, BMI over 50). You can probably find those things cheap nowadays. Crunches are also often easier than full situps and very effective. Swimming is also a great workout and one I still enjoy, every chance I get. Be sure you stretch!
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Swimming, would also be a good choice. low impact, good cardio, etc. There is the having to put a bathing suit on thing, but once past that, its fun, its summer, it wont feel like exercise!
  • NaptasticDiva
    Options
    I totally understand! I couldn't do 30 jumping jacks when I started...now I am up to 90. I just keep at those. As far as the situps, I DO NOT try to do them...I don't want them to hurt my back. I do crunches, and also an ab roller to help with the crunches. If you have a Play it Again Sports where you are, I got one there for 8 bucks. But they are also at Walmart for like 15 to 30 bucks. Also, instead of doing those I also try to do planks and side planks. One day I would like to do push-ups but my gut prevents me from using proper form at this time without the ab machine. Hope that helps (I am also over 300lbs).
  • Abbey70
    Abbey70 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You may even try a chair exercise where you sit up straight in a chair and bring your knee up towards your chest without bending. May add ankle weights to your ankles as more of a challenge as you progress. Hope this may help. Ice your back also. Back pain is no fun I know. Good luck on your journey.
  • tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the responses....

Crunches were the first phase on the exercise plan, and the 2nd is sit-ups. I may go back to doing the crunches...

But, I am really really thankful for all the results. It makes me feel better that I'm not alone, and that I could be doing better...