BBC 1 Panorama "The Truth about Sports Products" 8pm today

Options
2»

Replies

• Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with personal experience is that we often make more than one change at the same time... eat better, train differently ... and take a supplement... It's hard to unpick what is truly the factor that makes a difference.

Then there is also simple placebo effect - simply believing that it works.

The stuff about sports drinks was interesting. EIGHT spoonfuls of sugar in a Lucozade Sport!! When your standard woman (not elite athlete) drinks this during a standard aerobics class (as many do) it totally negates any calories you've just burned.

The fact that many corporations after the programme subsequently changed their claims on advertising and website content is kind of an admission of guilt that many of them have totally overcooked their claims and don't actually have the scientific evidence to back up the claims they make about their products.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Most of what was said, I had worked out for myself. I never spend more than £50 on a pair of trainers and never drink sports drinks. I have tried a number of supplements, but have never seen any real benefits. I do use protein shakes & bars, but more for convenience than anything else.
  • Elisabeth2506
    Options
    I've damaged my knee in £75+ trainers, but the gym won't authorise anyone to use cardio equipment or do classes barefoot :(

I don't use my protein shakes as a means of building muscle strength. Mine are low calorie and low carb, but high protein (I always, always feel full after one) and super sickly (never crave junk food these days). So I look past what it says it "does on the tin" (as Panorama investigated whether they 'worked') and find a personal benefit from such products.

I was shellshocked about the sports drinks! I watched a program a while back (think it was something to do with a&e) where a girl's muscles started breaking down after a spinning class due to dehydration, so I thought it better to buy these electrolyte drinks. Wrong-o :|
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    The kids and sports drinks one was an interesting issue.

Since when did kids playing a bit of football require them to 'rehydrate' with expensive sports drinks. They're not elite athletes training hours and hours they're just kicking a blimmin ball around!
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    I loved the world record holding cyclist who said he just goes out with a jam sandwich and a bit of water. :laugh:
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    i can't wait to watch this. Mainly to see what rubbish they tell us. I take supplements. My partner takes them too. They DO work!

I've seen a huge difference since I started taking supplements, and they've just told me they don't work.

ignore them! they don't know what they are talking about. They do work. Just have to find the right one for you, that's all :)

"May as well drink milk" PAH. My partners mum said to him, he doesn't need to waste his money now blah blah blah. Milk doesn't have what these supplements have though! He is getting so big with them. Stupid panorama.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    I loved the world record holding cyclist who said he just goes out with a jam sandwich and a bit of water. :laugh:

haha me too. That's just amazing
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I watched this last night on iplayer. It was fascinating! I have to admit, I'm one of those people who just buys cheap trainers from the Reebok outlet stores for £10/£15 lol. I don't think I've had any 'expensive' trainers since I was a kid although I do find myself drooling over a pair of £100 Nike ones - not because of the features, just because they're pretty coloured (i'm shallow... I know).

The only supplement I do is protein powder and that's only certain days when I otherwise wouldn't eat enough as opposed to anything else. I just try and eat better and drink plenty of water for the most part though. It was quite scary seeing how much sugar was in Lucosade - I used to love it as a kid but only ever drink it now on very rare occasions, preferring a glass/bottle of cold water.

The cyclist with the jam sandwich was brilliant, lol.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I need to watch up on this I have been hearing so much about it. The comment are cracking me up
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that's not surprised at all by this programme.
    Advertisers lie constantly. They don't care they just want your cash.

Or am I just really jaded?
  • Kebabmeatchips
    Kebabmeatchips Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This program was really a eye opener, recommend people watch it that have not done so...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01l1yxk/Panorama_The_Truth_About_Sports_Products/

Already knew that the Lucozade "craze" was all wrong but quite surprised to see years of running footwear theologies turned on its head, that Canada lab was really interesting with the tests they been doing.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    When they said about trainers compared to bare foot they never mentioned the type that look like gloves for your feet (sorry dunno what they are called).

I use the zero and low cal sports drinks and I find that I do get an extra bit of umph that I don't get from water - maybe placebo/psychological but I do notice a difference - I was aware that they shouldnt really be used for less than an hour - but when I do my cardio the sweat pours off me and I feel that its justified and my calorie burn more than offsets the impact of the 50 cals.

I loved the bit about the jam sandwich too - class
  • Kebabmeatchips
    Kebabmeatchips Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When they said about trainers compared to bare foot they never mentioned the type that look like gloves for your feet (sorry dunno what they are called).

http://www.merrell.com/UK/en/Barefoot_Collection

Above are the "barefoot" range of Merrell's. I really like their general trainers/shoes for cross country but not looked at this range - they look interesting. After the bbc programme it seems to all come down to what you find works for you best, but these certainly look good to test.