I have a couple of questions.....

Options
Firstly, does it matter if you are going over your protein portion of the diet? Im not going over the fat or carbs, and am within my calories per day, but because I have cut out some carbs (Im not having bread, potatoes, pasta or rice), its pushing protein up. Have definately noticed a huge improvement in my sweet cravings by cutting out carbs, and sweet things. I am struggling to drink water (I am just not a water drinker). I am into my second week, and so far are 4 lbs down. And am struggling to exercise, the weather here at the moment is crap, and I cant get to the gym. In the long run, if you follow a pretty basic, simple diet with the same kinds of food will your weight plateau? or is it the exercise that gets it going. Might have to buy an exercycle.....

Replies

• Healthymom207
    Healthymom207 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was terrible drinking water too. I bought a sports bottle with a straw and it made it so much easier (something about the straw). I have 2 of them now and always have one chilled in the refrigerator ready to go. Try getting some exercise programs to do at home when you can't get to the gym.....I've never stepped foot into the gym....I do all my cardio & weight training at home. Get some weights & DVDS....cheaper than gym memberships. (:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that affects your kidneys then there would be no reason to worry about going over in protein. IMHO, MFP sets the amount way too low. I am at 100+ per day.

Don't stress over water. That 8 glasses a day myth has been proven incorrect. Drink when thirsty, you will get plenty of water from your fruits and vegetables.

Most of weight loss comes from diet and NOT exercise. Exercise is for health and toning but you will lose the weight from controlling what you eat. Weigh and record everything you eat and don't stress about the exercise as it will do little to help the loss part.
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    i have sooooo many water bottles hahaha

I ONLY drink water out of a bottle of some sort. just something about a glass that makes it unappealing to me... if its in a glass i need a straw.. haha

I swear I'm not OCD..hehe
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    No bread, potatoes, pasta, or rice? That's no fun. Do you really want to eat like that for the rest of your life? I'm too much of a foodie. But I do strictly limit my portions of those things. No more than 100 calories or so of a carb but I do enjoy them at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, because they are very important parts of your energy supply! Go ahead and eat some yummy complex carbs! I never go to the gym, I have exercise equipment at my house. Saves me time, and the weather is always good here in the air conditioning. Boring yes, but not if you're watching the food channel while you work out. Perhaps you should add me as a friend so you can get some good eats while you're on a "diet." I just can't really call it a diet. It's simply, just watching the calories and keeping it in between the lines. :)

Ruth
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Don't worry about going over your protein. Most people will say it's a good thing since the site tends to put your daily max at a rather low number.

For water, try squeezing lemon or orange wedges in it or freezing fruit juice into ice cubes to flavor the water. Stay away from the additives like Crystal Light as the artificial sweeteners only make you more thirsty.

With exercise, if you're just starting out, take it easy and build your way up. If the weather's bad, walk around the mall for a half hour or so to get cardio in. Buy some weights and workout DVDs for home use when you can't or don't want to hit the gym.

As for the plateau thing, most people will tell you to either up or lower your calorie intake as food is the bigger factor in weight loss.
  • jessicaallsorts
    Options
    I try and hit under on carbs (like 50-100g under) and over on protein. I personally think they are set to high and low respectively.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I try and hit under on carbs (like 50-100g under) and over on protein. I personally think they are set to high and low respectively.

You can adjust your numbers and set custom settings... in case you did not know.

And yea, unless you have a REASON to watch protein, don't worry about going over. I have to watch mine due to medical reasons and medication but even my amounts are more then what MFP sets for ya!
  • debra4647
    debra4647 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have noticed if I drink my water I do lose better but I hate water also. I try and choke down at least 4 cups a day.
  • 73ventura
    73ventura Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for your help and comments. I will put carbs back in in small amounts later on, but I seriously havent missed them this second week. I do have a couple of exercise DVDs, will try those. Will kick the kids off the tv! And the water I will try to drink at least some. Im a tea drinker, and really dont enjoy water at all.