Frustrated with meal planning

Options
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a couple of months ago and have been taking it very seriously. The dietitian wants me eating no more than 60 carbs a meal with a 15 carb snack two or three times a day. I exercise five days a week doing a mile plus on the treadmill and taking the steps at work instead of the elevator. With all this being said, I am not getting much of anywhere with losing any weight. Blood sugar way down just not my waist. By tracking the food I eat here on MFP and doing some research on the internet, I think I am not eating enough. I stay within my carb limit but I think my calories are to low and my body is in starvation mode.

Tried looking for a realistic weekly meal plan on the internet but haven’t had any luck. Does anyone know where I can find a free one that spells out a menu or a check list of foods so that I can make my own? Need a realistic menu or list of foods for each meal that I can simply choose from or switch around as trying to do it by myself just seems to not be working.

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary? What are your BMR and TDEE?
  • ABQsheila
    ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. Although I haven't "officially" been diagnosed with diabetes, I am definitely insulin resistant. I try to limit my carbs and spread them out over the day. I've not found a list of menus but over time I've developed a few "standard meals" that I have often.

For breakfast it's usually either eggs, 1/2 English muffin, and some low glycemic fruit like cantaloupe or berries or it's Greek yogurt and berries & 1/2 cup toasted oats (granola has too many carbs). perhaps a few walnuts or almonds. You can add nutrition/calories with the nuts and maybe low fat cheese on the eggs.

At least one meal each day I have a big tossed salad with lots of colorful vegetables----lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, red peppers, cucumbers, celery, carrots, sometimes even non-traditional ones like beets, broccoli, cauliflower. For more calories, add avocado, cheese or a heavier dressing like blue cheese. A hearty source of protein, either grilled or baked, rounds out my meal.

Others that I frequently have.....tuna salad in big tomato with a low carb cracker like Rye Krisp or DR KRACKER. .....low carb pasta with marinara and meatballs, a vegetable frittata if I didn't have eggs for breakfast, chili, homemade vegetable soup. I found a recipe for low fat mac and cheese on the internet that has about 20 mg of carbohydrate per serving. Mostly plan your meals around things that you like. It will be hard to stick with it if you're feeling unsatisfied or deprived.
  • Jops328
    Jops328 Posts: 7
    Options
    Not sure what BMR and TDEE are.

Thanks ABQSheila for your meal plan info. I don't feel deprived or unsatisfied just frustrated. Feel full most of the time but not over eating like before. Looking for a flexible realistic plan that I can work with.
  • dianab57
    dianab57 Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't know where you can get a good free plan but if you are in Pennsylvania or Ohio and live near a Giant Eagle Store many of them now have a dietician and will work with you for a very reasonable price. The also have classes for people with diabetes and they are 4 weeks season for like $20.00. I happen to work at a Giant Eagle and have just started working with our dietician and she set up the kind of plan you are talking about for me because I have the same problem loosing weight. It seems no matter what I do I can't loose the weight. She thinks that perhaps I am not only eating too few calories but process foods may be effecting my hormones and making it difficult to loose.
  • shannonjamie
    Options
    Do you track your sodium levels.
  • nikki8marie
    nikki8marie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am looking for the same thing on finding sources of meal plans, although my reasoning is more along the lines of being in a rut. My jobs has an unpredictable schedule both when I get to work and what time I get lunch. I've started looking online, but haven't a plan online that I like (meaning its way to generic). I'll post any sites that I find. Good Luck!