Starting P90X Monday

Options
So I finally decided to follow "Classic" rather than "Lean"...has anyone replaced Plyometrics with Cardio X? I read in the guide book that you can if you're not up for plyo but I just wanted feedback...Also, in the Nutrition Guide it says I should add 600 cals per day on days I do P90X and I wanna add the workouts into My Exercises. Do y'all think that's accurate?

Replies

• KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did P90X classic. Subbed general cardio for plyo on occasion (whether the cardio DVD or running/biking, etc.). Still got great results. I think the P90X nutrition plan is confusing with MFP. I do not burn 600 cal/workout at my weight (have checked some with HRM). But for some that could be accurate. I set MFP at my BMR and then eat back exercise calories. For me, my ideal range ends up between 1600-2000 calories, which corresponds to the 1800 calorie meal plan in P90X although I didn't follow the macronutrient ratios they suggest.
  • harleigh67
    harleigh67 Posts: 131
    Options
    you haven't even started it yet why are you wanting to substitute a tape already.....I can do plyo girlfriend and you already know what problems I suffer with........
    I do it where there is plenty of room, put couch/bed pillows in front of things just in case....and do my best and forget the rest!
    I love plyo just the first time you do it take time figure out if there is a way for you to do it and try it some I can't do others I keep the wall beside me and yes I have fallen tucked and rolled a few times....But I try to do it...and I DO MY BEST AND FORGET THE REST!:smokin:

p.s. Wait til you do the yoga one that's the one I can't stand...LOL
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options
    Do you have a HRM? If so, it is more accurate than picking something here. I rarely burned 600 calories with either p90x or insanity. I'm starting a hybrid with p90x and insanity Monday. You can do it! P90x is a great program. I am excited to start some mornings with Tony again!
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just do the best you can at Plyo. You won't be able to keep up with the video. No big deal. Do 15 seconds of the 30 second moves and 30 seconds of the 60 second ones. That way you can do the whole workout. Watch Pam int eh video for modified, lower impact moves. Don't get upset with the guy with the prothstetic leg is doing better. than you. You'll get there pretty quickly. You don't get better at something by not doing it at all. Cardio X is better suited for a doubles workout since it is much more mild than any of the other cardio workouts. it's the sampler platter of P90X cardio.

The P90X diet plan is confusing, so just don't worry about it too much. You can alter your goals and set your ratios to the different phases though and I would suggest that. Use a heart rate monitor so you can determine your actual calorie burn. Guessing it by looking at other people is not accurate at all.
  • Jbbaby111
    Jbbaby111 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 20 today! im doing the lean version i tried classic back two years ago and only did it for a week.... Ive made it to week 4 now so im pretty excited....as for YOGA....ugh! its definetely a workout LOL
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I plan on starting next Monday. I am very excited and hope to see some results.
    I will probably just eat back my exercise calories. I dont burn a lot of calories so 600 would be way to many for me.
  • Why would you replace Plyo? Even when I'm not doing p90x i still do the plyo disc... It's the best one! www.activefit.ca
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Yes, don't replace it like other said. It's tough as heck the first couple times through but you'll get the hang of it quick enough. Do the best you can and take short breaks as needed.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I did Cardio X today to "preview" and the easiest part for me was the plyo b/c I'm so used to plyo on a step and ChaLEAN HIIT and TurboFire HIIT but I read the guide book like a good little girl and it says you can replace so wanted everyones' thoughts on it. After doing the Cardio X I'm no longer intimidated by an hour of plyo...to me it's easier than low impact modifications b/c I work out on carpet too lol . so much easier to do a plyo burpee than the low impact modification on that with carpet lol.

I actually found a site by Googling "P90X Calories Burned" with a little calculator on it...just to have a ballpark to enter in here for the workouts so I have an idea of how many cals I should be eating (I have to make sure I eat enough). It has all the P90X workouts on the site and you enter your weight, how many minutes you did the workout and click on "intensity"...I selected "medium" intensity on all but Plyometrics just b/c it was middle of the road and I don't wanna overestimate what I'm burning. And most of them are much lower than 600 cals so I'm glad I didn't take the nutrition book so literally.

I'm resetting my macros to 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fats...I know i'm supposed to do 50% protein for as long as I can stand it but I have 2 daily foods I ALWAYS eat and have for years...one is 6oz of Tropicana Pure Premium OJ and the other is a banana and I'm on Tropical Strawberry Shakeology and the shake alone blows the one fruit serving lol.

Thanks everyone for your advice/comments. Don't y'all worry...I won't slack off on the plyo unless I absolutely have to! No excuses! lol
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    And the yoga def looks like it's gonna be the toughest for me...that was the hardest part of Cardio X today for me lol.
  • Palio75
    Palio75 Posts: 72
    Options
    I just completed P-90X. The first few weeks I could not even finish plyo without constant pausing. I now can do it twice in a row. You shouldn't replace any of it. Do your best and forget the rest.
  • Palio75
    Palio75 Posts: 72
    Options
    nothing is worse than ab ripper x
  • shaycat
    Options
    I like ab ripper X. I think the yoga will be the worse for me too. I have some sort of mental block on liking it. I try, I really do, but it is just not for me.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I am in phase 3 currently, ab ripper x does suck especially after a tough workout.. but I actually have started subbing cardio x for yoga x.. I don't feel like spending that hour and a half doing yoga.. my balance is horrible maybe on my second round but after phase 1/2 I would rather do cardio x... Even though plyo x can suck, I wouldnt skip it thats a main calorie burner program..
  • LadyAshes
    LadyAshes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree here. I much prefer doing CardioX than yoga. It just really bores the snot outa me and I couldn't be bothered with it. It's also damn hard and the longest I can last doing it is 45 mins. But then guess what....it keeps going on for another 45 mins *snore*
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Heya I'm starting P90X on Monday too. Have started it previously but only got about 2 weeks in before schedule changes got in the way and I had to switch to other workouts. Looking forward to doing it again.

I'll be doing the nutrition plan, but switching to phase two (the energy booster) fairly quickly I hope as I cycle two hours every day to and from work so I'm gonna need the carbs! I've kept it fairly simple by taking my BMR + 700 for my cycling + 600 for the workouts = approx 2745 calories/day, and I'll adjust the macronutrients on MFP to match the plan.

I'm not the best at getting on the forums here every day but I'll be around if anyone needs an extra push or some motivation to press the play button (and I'm definitely gonna be needing an occasional kick up the *kitten* as well!)

Good luck!!
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options
    Started day 1 of insanity/p90x hybrid today. Definitely going to be hurting tomorrow, in the good way. Started with chest/back and cardio abs.

How did everyone else's Monday go?
  • shaycat
    Options
    I loved the first day of P90x. I am feeling sore already! I think I might be able to stick to the diet too.
    I am excited for plyo tomorrow. I am going to try to get it done early.
  • alisha7702
    alisha7702 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    just started yesterday.. im doing the lean version.. :bigsmile:
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the classic. Did plyo last night, am paying for it today!! Think I might be walking funny....