I don't share often, but...

Options
Sopsongbird
Sopsongbird Posts: 48 Member
I started last week at 266...I am around 256. I just took measurements from last week. I have lost a combined total of 7.5 inches!!! I'm so excited and thankful for the boost that I needed!!! I was surprised at where I lost more and where I didn't lose any! I really need help staying accountable on my food diary. I need to eat more often and stay with it! I'm afraid to step on the scale because I think I gained weight...but how could I gain when I lost the inches?

Replies

• Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Wow!! You are doing great!!! Keep it up :smile:
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat. so perhaps you are gaining muscle. that is why they say not to go by the scale but instead go by inches. you look great
  • greeneyedchick1986
    Options
    Good Job!!! I am 269 and Trying to get where you are!!! I would LOVE to be 256!!! You look amazing!
  • tdilport
    tdilport Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh the same, but think of it this way. Take a hard boiled egg, that represents one pound of muscle. Take four sticks of butter, that represents one pound of fat. When you look at it this way, you will see why you are losing inches and not seeing the difference on the scale. Keep up what your doing and the rest will fall into place.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]10586462.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • reesa722
    reesa722 Posts: 76
    Options
    You rock :)
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat. so perhaps you are gaining muscle. that is why they say not to go by the scale but instead go by inches. you look great

^This

Go by the inches, the scale can make you think you are stalled or gaining when in fact you are doing great :)
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you can't see it in the mirror or on the scale it feels good to see it in measurements or how your clothes are fitting.

Way to go!! :)
  • Sopsongbird
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know it has only been a week, but I really needed this boost. The inches lost REALLY put things into perspective for me! Ya'll are awesome! Feel free to add!!!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Good for you, keep up the great work!
  • JamieMommy1985
    JamieMommy1985 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    congrats! thats awesome!!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • chefsmash
    chefsmash Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Swift progress! Keep it up!
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    Congrats ! That's an awesome feeling! Keep it up!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle looks like a baseball. A pound of fat looks like a softball. That's how you could be and look smaller but weigh the same or more. That's a really good thing: it means your body fat percentage is going down.
  • Sopsongbird
    Options
    A pound of muscle looks like a baseball. A pound of fat looks like a softball. That's how you could be and look smaller but weigh the same or more. That's a really good thing: it means your body fat percentage is going down.

About how long will it take for me to start seeing the numbers on the scale go down? I weigh myself but I don't want to post my weigh-in because it says I went up...but I lost 7.5"...
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    you earned bragging rights for sure. and wow talk about motivating!!!
    keep up the good work and faith and try to have fun, dont know about yu but for me its gonna be a looooong ride
  • rachael52
    rachael52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. I'm so glad you already feel so good! I am trying not to get on the scale more than once a week, I know there will be fluctuation.

I'm making very healthy food lately and eating fruit. I can't believe I have a package of cookies in the house for two weeks and haven't been tempted (they are for my husband, but I haven't even told them where they are, and I might even throw them out). He needs to lose a few pounds too, with his high cholesterol and trigycerides.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The point everyone is trying to drive home to you is that losing body fat is what's important -- that is what determines how strong you are and how good your body looks. Therefore, you should be far more concerned with losing inches than scale weight. As long as you are losing inches, you are getting stronger, losing fat, and your body is becoming more aesthetic.

Let me give you an example. This morning I was 205 lbs. at 6'0" with 18.9% body fat. If you take another guy who is my same height, but weighs 225 lbs. with just 8% body fat, he is going to be infinitely stronger and more aesthetic than me.

Having said all of this, if you are at a calorie deficit each week it is inevitable that your weight will go down. Just don't be too drastic or the opposite will start happening -- you'll lose weight but the inches lost will be less significant because they'll be both muscle and fat.
  • bookfaery
    bookfaery Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't pay as much attention to the scale! I've been "bad" lately - eating way too much ice cream and sweet stuff and not eating high protein, healthy foods the way I have been. Sooo far off track, it's ugly. But the scale tells me I've dropped weight. Interesting, since I feel (and look) like a giant bloat-ball. Seriously, my upper stomach is all bloaty and fat. Even when the scale disappoints me, I remind myself that it is probably water weight, try a little harder to stay on track and move more, and take note of how my clothes are fitting. It's a much better indicator!

Congrats to you! Fantastic start to your journey - keep rockin' it!
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    That's great! Good for you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!