Why can't I let go of Mcdonalds?

Options

Replies

• HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Food is not your enemy ... and who says you "have to" give up McDonalds? ... if you feel you need to detox from there for a while, fine, but never tell yourself that "I will never have that again" because you set yourself up for failure.

For me, it's simply the effort ... stick to your calorie goals and that should guide you. My point is that burning 700 calories is harder than not eating 700 calories :) ... well, it is to me anyway! ... so it just became a "is it really worth it?" question after a while.

Sometimes ... a pizza and some beers are worth it to me! lol ... if I ran a 10k and I want to partake, I shall partake :) ... so for me it was the calculator game ... "Well, I can eat this, but if I do I want to burn more to balance" ... and just that discussion with myself helped me "slowly" learn to say no ...

It's a process ... give yourself time, and don't beat yourself up ... but do push to stay consistent and keep fighting.
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I agree with most people here. I've lost 8.8 pounds in the past month and I can honestly say I've eaten fast food 1-2X per week. When I got to McD I get a double cheese burger or a McDouble which is a little less calories and a SMALL fry if I get fries at all. Just account for it work it off at the gym and keep it to a minimum it's fine to have a treat. There are many people on here who think unless you are eating nothing but meat veggies and fruits "clean" eating your doing it wrong. I don't agree. Give yourself the treat once in a while as long as you've stayed on track all week I don't see having a burger now and then.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have double cheeseburgers quite a bit and never worry about it because I always make sure they fit in to my daily macronutrient goals. They are very satiating and a big protein source.

You should watch Chazz Weaver's "Downsize Me" documentary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxpb7TJ7cQ
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think you have your own solution. You mentioned the nice dinner you could have had if not for the cheeseburger. Log it before you eat it and then think to yourself: do I want that or this which will taste better and be more satisfying?

Personally, I don't eat McD's because it tastes like ****. I would rather grill a nice lean burger at home.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You told us what you were thinking AFTER you ate the double cheeseburger, but it would be more helpful to hear about the things you were thinking before you ate it. Specifically the things you were saying to yourself when you made the decision to get in your car and go to McD's, and on the way there.

Well, usually I have someone watch my babies (while my husband is on deployment)... I have a couple errands to run...and the only place next to me is a Farm Fresh (groc Store) with a bank, a Burger King, a Mcds, and a dairy queen.

If I had to say... it would be ... that the only time I had to myself to go around would be to stop by this Mcds.

Maybe I'm associating Mcds with my alone time... and that is the problem?
  • pamela_73
    pamela_73 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't find this bad at all. Maybe having that double cheeseburger is helping keep you on track. You could try having the smaller cheeseburger and see if it works, but I don't think that people need to stick to typically healthy foods 100%. After all, the world is not filled with 100% typically healthy food. Give yourself a break. Maybe twice a week is one too many, but if it fits in with your calories then I don't see the issue.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    How about make a deal with yourself.. you can get the burger 1 time a week, if you burn off the calories before?

We love five guys, and now I do a little cheeseburger instead of the double on the regular, cause it saves about 350-400 calories.
  • Halfangel
    Halfangel Posts: 49
    Options
    a) forgive yourself.

b) have the damn cheeseburger once in a while. Just make sure you stay within your deficit and pay your body back with better choices the rest of the week/day.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I agree with most people here. I've lost 8.8 pounds in the past month and I can honestly say I've eaten fast food 1-2X per week. When I got to McD I get a double cheese burger or a McDouble which is a little less calories and a SMALL fry if I get fries at all. Just account for it work it off at the gym and keep it to a minimum it's fine to have a treat. There are many people on here who think unless you are eating nothing but meat veggies and fruits "clean" eating your doing it wrong. I don't agree. Give yourself the treat once in a while as long as you've stayed on track all week I don't see having a burger now and then.

Thats the thing!!!
    I've changed HOW I eat at Mcds... Before I would get nuggets, quarter pounder. with cheese large fries... sweet tea... all that adds up to MAJOR cals!!!
    I thought by getting a double cheese once a week, I was doing something right :(
    One double cheese a week is WAYYYY dif than getting a quarter pounder with cheese, large fry large sweet tea!!!

Somehow, I feel worse about it now than I ever did...I never get a sweet tea... I rarely get fries, if I do its a small... I feel like I changed everything, but for some reason I still feel like I'm eating the same crap. :(
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If I had to say... it would be ... that the only time I had to myself to go around would be to stop by this Mcds.

Maybe I'm associating Mcds with my alone time... and that is the problem?

That sounds like a possibility - you will be the only one who can really decide for sure if that fits. Is stopping there a routine when you have someone to watch the kids? Has it come to represent a little way to indulge yourself when you have a moment away from your mommy responsibilities? If so, there are probably healthier things you could do to indulge yourself, many non-food related. Maybe get your nails done, or just steal a few minutes to sit in a park and read a book? Then have your cheeseburger when you get home, with ingredients and cooking that you control.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Btw... I just want to say.. when I have the Double Cheeseburger...
    I usually keep it in my cals.
    I guess I just feel bad that I'm eating this crap in the 1st place... esp with how far I've come ... giving up MOST fast food.
    I hate that this place seems to be holding me ... when its not even my fav fast food!?!?! I've given up Nacho Bell Grande LOL... Why can't I give up this?!?! lol
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Btw... I just want to say.. when I have the Double Cheeseburger...
    I usually keep it in my cals.
    I guess I just feel bad that I'm eating this crap in the 1st place... esp with how far I've come ... giving up MOST fast food.
    I hate that this place seems to be holding me ... when its not even my fav fast food!?!?! I've given up Nacho Bell Grande LOL... Why can't I give up this?!?! lol

The only reason I see for you to give it up is how bad you're feeling about it. Otherwise, it's just a choice to budget your calories to allow yourself a food you enjoy. The Nacho Bell Grande is 760 cals, according to the Taco Bell website. Maybe you should just pick a day to exercise like crazy and go ahead and get your favorite thing, instead of beating yourself up over a poor substitution.
  • lorgrayson
    lorgrayson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten at McDonald's since 1999. And I Don't miss it. Watch the movie supersize me and maybe you'll be able to let go. For me, it was because I was so sick with my asthma, I decided to eat mostly organic or natural foods. I went from 2 inhalers and a pill daily to a rescue inhaler maybe once a week.
  • Eisskween
    Eisskween Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Personally, I used to be addicted to their fish sandwiches. Although at first blush, it seems like a healthy choice, alas, it isn't. But I won't deny myself that treat every now and then, if the craving arises. :)
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I was once told 'you can't break a habit, you have to replace it with something else, something healthier'. Planning in advance is really essential. Avoid driving that way home. Make sure you've eaten before you leave the house. Work off the calories BEFORE you do it. Drink a lot of water so you feel a little more full if you're out. Carry a water bottle with you everywhere you go. Have two in the car. Don't deny yourself anything, but work it into your food log. And it really is important, for me at least, to work off anything like that BEFORE I have it, because after you are so down on yourself, and so full of fatty high calorie food that you just want to sleep.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Pick yourself up and keep going. You're doing great!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Its only once a week. Your still losing weight and getting healthy right? Then there's literally like no point worrying about one double cheeseburger, at least your not binging and eating like 5000 calories 3 times a week like I am ;/
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    I have similar cravings for a big English breakfast every Sunday, so that day is planned carefully so that i can have my wish.

Then the following day, Monday, a do good burn off to ensure I don't go too far off track.

Treat your craving as a treat and enjoy it.

:drinker:
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    It could be sugar. Seriously. Almost everything from McDonalds has a ton of uber-refined sugar in it, especially the cheese and the breads. Sugar can be addictive, and cause cravings. Maybe the next time you are jonesin' for some Golden Arches, have a piece of dark chocolate.

I think the biggest thing that has improved my gains has been cutting out fast food. Every sunday I used to crush 5 Guys, and the next couple days I would be MUCH harder to eat right again. Haven't had it in 4 months. Don't even miss it now.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Your brain is hard wired to give you a mild euphoria from high calorie foods, if you are craving McDonald's it's because your brain remembers that you eat a lot of calories at once when you have that food. So you could just be hungry. If you are worried about eating it, try eating something else first (with a large bottle/glass of water) and see if you are still craving it afterword?
  • lunagirl818
    Options
    I think it is pyschological. This is you holding onto some part of your old bad habit, versus fully embracing a new lifestyle. I say this because it makes you feel bad after...makes you feel guilty. So it is not even a guilty pleasure. Like I love ice cream, and if I have some, I enjoy it and work out more that day or the next. I don't feel bad about it.

You are losing about 3 lbs a month. to reach your goal you need about another 15 months. In every other way you have improved your eating.

So what is worth more? Reaching your goal or the double cheeseburger?

Caveat: I dont think a once in awhile splurge is bad, but a weekly trip to McDs is a mess waiting to happen. All you need is one bad day, stress etc, and that order will be out of control. Slippery slope.