Starting Over and desperate to save my life from Obesity

Options
Its been so long since i joined,i don't recall how to determine what to eat, etc

Replies

• munchie3511
    munchie3511 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Welcome back and congratulations in your new journey to health and fitness. I've been in and out of it too. When life gets too busy, its hard to keep the momentum going. If it's any help or to just give you an idea on where to start, I may be able to help you.

Goodluck in your journey!:smile:
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'd love to be there with you while you learn the ropes, and I'll be happy to help when I can. I'm really active on here, but I'm lonely! Add me if you'd like to. I've had to start over a few times myself. It's so frustrating!
  • sweetldy0715
    Options
    i would love advise. i am 53 yrs and diabetic. i gave up for a long time. how do i determine what i should eat? is there a plan or do i just pick food from another website? Honestly i am overwhelmed!
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My dad is also diabetic and he had to take some kind of class that taught him how to eat properly. Did you have to do something like that?
  • sweetldy0715
    Options
    :smile: Yes, but it was so long ago, i think i need a refresher course
  • Crissthetealcat
    Crissthetealcat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I first started I did not try to change my eating except to limit fast food and boxed meals from 15 a week to about 5. All I tried to do was track foods, eat more veggies and get active. After I tracked foods for a few weeks, I began to see which foods predominately put me over, so I started to limit those foods one at a time. For me, these were mostly fast food, restaurant food, alcohol and simple carbs (the same foods diabetics should limit.) Now I am on a kick to add more lean proteins and kick up the exercise a notch. I hope this helps. IMHO slow and steady wins the race. Make just one change that you think you can keep for a lifetime and go from there. As long as you are maintaining your current weight and not gaining, than any small change will start you in the right direction.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am not a diabetic, and not an expert by any means, so please do not take these words as gospel.

However, if you are just starting, or restarting, then first thing is look at the sorts of things you are eating. Is there one thing you could cut out straight away that you know you should not be eating or drinking? It is amazing how small changes can make a difference and get you started. Can you stop drinking soft drink (pop, soda etc, sorry I am an Aussie!)? Can you stop the chocolate biscuits after dinner? Can you cut out the chips everyday? There is always somewhere to start.

The next thing to maybe look at is the amount of fresh fruit and vegies you eat. Are you eating fruit and veg everyday? If not, set yourselves a goal, two bits of fruit and two vegies everyday as a starting point, or whatever is more than you currently eat and yet is manageable.

My last thought is how much water do you drink everyday. I keep being told how good water is, and it really does make such a difference. The weeks I don't lose as much weight, and have eaten well, I can look back and realise my water consumption has been down.

So, I hope this is a help. Your posts sounded like you needed something to get you started. As I said, absolutely no expert here, just somebody who is steadily losing weight and trying to do it in a really manageable and sensible way, so that I can eat like this for life.

Good luck with it, and I hope you get a lot more responses.
  • dkpk1965
    dkpk1965 Posts: 17
    Options
    hello i am 47 and i found this app and web site very useful. i have
    taken off 7lbs in 6wks. i would like to make a few new friends through
    this journy.
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    Go to the American Diabetes Association website and click on Food, Planning your meals and then Create your plate. That will give you a quick and dirty review of what you need to do. Then check out the rest of the website. There's a pile of information there.
  • tammyandzach
    tammyandzach Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. Welcome back. I think it is key to get involved. Come join our group we start a challenge on Tuesday for 6 weeks. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4539-fab-fours
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, but I am available for support and encouragement (and we're in the same time zone - bonus!). Diabetes can be pretty darn serious - have you checked with your doctor for a referral to a dietitian who would be able to help you put together appropriate meals? Sending FR. :smile:
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Welcome back and good luck. The groups are great for support. Make sure you reach out when it gets tough. I have 100 lbs to lose and I'm afraid not to succeed this time. You can do this.
  • NonniChick
    Options
    Welcome back and good luck. Stay the course and focus on the prize -- you can do it!!
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi. you can request me, if you like. I'm 57, diabetic and losing for the first time in YEARS. I have lost 33 lbs since Feb. I feel soooo much better and my blood sugars are great. I'm not perfect, I slip, I cheat, and I get back on the health wagon. I'd be glad to tell you what is working for me.....and it is no big fad or secret.....just a healthy way of treating diabetes. good food, good exercise.

friend me if you want. I'll do my best to encourage you and hope you help me too! The friends here have really kept me on task. i have never lost this much. maybe 10 or 15 here and there over the years which I always gain back. BUT NOT THIS TIME. i GOT THIS AND SO CAN YOU!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    if i may........... put your pic on, open your diary and BE HONEST.. if you arent, then you cant be honest with yourself.

its time for a change... make the change! do this! YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im morbidly obese, and im just starting out, slowly, but im doing it and i know you can too!

add me if ou want to chat, or for support. Im here for yoU!!
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    hello add me please :) am 25 and i need all the suppport i can get to shed those last 10 killos left for me .. please help me!