Apartment Advice?

Options
kellicarter11
kellicarter11 Posts: 178 Member
Ok so I need some advice. I'm in the living room with my tv up loud and I can still hear the bass from the apartment on the other side of the building. I have tried ear plugs and everything I can think of. I really just want to go to sleep.

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Could you go over to the apartment and knock and ask them to turn the bass down. It is a Saturday night, but you have the right to a good night's sleep. If it happens in the future, contact your landlord and fill them in on the loud apartment.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    i'm not sure what time zone you're in, but unless it's after midnight where you are, you can't really do anything other than ask your neighbors to quiet down. check the noise violation laws/code for the city where you live and if the noise isn't brought down by that time, you can call the police. that's about as much as you can do, unfortunately :/
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'd stick a note on his door and hopefully it won't happen again. Don't identify yourself on it, though. If it happens again, I would complain to the management. I hate loud neighbors.
  • kellicarter11
    kellicarter11 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    its a bunch of frat guys. and I'm a pretty small girl. I'm kind of intimidated and right not its not a huge deal because I'm only in training but I am children service worker one which means I investigate child abuse soon enough I will be on call and having to get up an go at any time and I will need my sleep.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I hear you about frat guys.... People where I live can be so loud you feel it. Big parties. I'm too scared to face them though because it's a bunch of obnoxious drunk teenagers. Maybe invest in a a nice fan? Plus its not a regular occurrence, the place is very solid/sound proof and security takes care of it.

Or talk to your security if you have it. Sometimes people aren't aware that sound goes through the walls. Especially bass sound. Find out your noise agreements... you can call the cops to tell them to stop after so much time. It's labeled disturbing the peace.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Check out your apartment complex's website. Mine has a private security service that will shut down late night parties. Yours might too, and if so, you may be able to get the phone number from there.

If you're too scared to talk to your neighbors now, you could always ask them tomorrow when everyone is sober. Bring a friend if you need to. If the problem persists, go talk to the complex managers. You may need to report it a number of times before they can take any direct action.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I would talk with the apartment manager AND figure out the noise laws in your area. I know in ours that there is no hour limit on being a rude inconsiderate @$$. If it is noon and my neighbors are being loud I can call the police and they will come out and tell them to knock it off.
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    in the county I live in we have a noise ordinance. if it's after a certain hour it is against the law to make so much noise it disturbs the neighbors. we have one neighbor in particular that every Friday and Saturday night during the summer, they have the music up loud enough I can hear it inside our house (their house is at a diagonal across from ours across the back yard) ... a few times it has been loud enough to keep my kids up not able to sleep. when that happens I call the NON-emergency police # and report it... and they take care of it. for that night anyway. good luck.