greek yogurt

Options
skwhatley
skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
I've recently started eating Greek yogurt rather than regular yogurt lately but I also noticed that when I buy the kind with fruit on the bottom the sugar is so ridiculous. I've decided that buying plain Greek and adding to it will be better than buying the kind with fruit on the bottom, however I was wondering which is the best kind of plain, taste and nutritious wise, and what do ya'll add to it to make it taste good? Any and all recipes and opinions are welcome! Thanks!

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    they all taste kinda bad to me so I just buy the one that's on sale. Usually the generic in the big tub.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you've got a Trader Joe's nearby, I've found their plain Greek yogurt to be my absolute favorite! I buy the 2% and I use it as a sour cream substitute for the whole family, I put it in my oatmeal, smoothies, and eat it as a snack with fresh fruit and a little honey. Blueberries & strawberries are good, but I'm on a total peach kick right now with all the summer fruit coming in. So sweet and so good with the yogurt. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and it almost tastes like dessert!
  • mvexplorer
    mvexplorer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love the plain nonfat chobani greek yogurt. I usually add one packet of Splenda and either some fresh raspberries or some granola and it is delicious!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Oh yea when you add fruit and honey or anything to it it doesn't tasted bad, chobani is definitely one of the better ones.
  • skwhatley
    Options
    Chiobani is the only one I've tried so far and it was awful. Haha. Guess I'll keep trying it with different mix ins until I find a way to tolerate it.
  • devguy
    devguy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The sugar is kind of bad in them (but the calories are still fairly manageable at least for me), but the only one I've found I even like is "Yoplait - Greek 2x Protein Strawberry Yogurt, 6 oz" in the MFP database. The key lime isn't bad either, but not my favorite.

I tried the Chiobani, but I did not like the taste.
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Eat the Chopani Strawberry greek for the protein, don't worry about the sugar
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Fage or Chobani. I only buy them plain and add my own fruit. I love the richness of Greek style and will never go back to the watered down, artificially flavored junk.

Edited to add: both of these brands only contain cream, milk, and bactericas. No thickening agents like some brands.
  • superfitconball
    superfitconball Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Love Greek god yogurt!
  • brandilacey
    Options
    I use Greek God when I am not counting calories, it's high, but so delicious. Right now I have yoplait greek with fruit on the bottom and it' good,not as good, but still good. The sugar is not an issue to me, it fits into my plan just fine. I thought Ghobani was awful, horrible stuff, so did my daughter, who loves all other yogurt. I wish I liked plain yogurt bc it would be a little healthier, but I hate it. I wonder if I mixed honey into some ghobani plain with fruit if it would taste any better.
  • amatiq
    amatiq Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like the Greek God yogurt. You can mix honey in to sweeten, but you're still going to be adding calories and sugar. Try it with lots and lots of fruit mixed in.
    You can also put greek yoghurt in an ice-cream maker with fruit. Greek gods honey flavored with strawberries and toasted almonds is delish.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's greek yogurt is definitely the best tasting I've had. I used to eat Chobani all the time, but now switched to this stuff. Love it.
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    If you've got a Trader Joe's nearby, I've found their plain Greek yogurt to be my absolute favorite! I buy the 2% and I use it as a sour cream substitute for the whole family, I put it in my oatmeal, smoothies, and eat it as a snack with fresh fruit and a little honey. Blueberries & strawberries are good, but I'm on a total peach kick right now with all the summer fruit coming in. So sweet and so good with the yogurt. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and it almost tastes like dessert!

The trader joes plain yogurt is the best IMO. It sweetens beautifully with stevia as well. I usually add a packet of stevia powder and stir it in with some blueberries and almonds, cashews, unsalted/unsweetened trail mix for a tasty breakfast!!!
  • isabellekitty
    isabellekitty Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love Fage brand, I add honey, pumpkin flax granola, fresh strawberries, blueberries etc. It is so good and very filling.
  • Tashmayes
    Tashmayes Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have found no difference. The Costco Kirkland brand is good. I find adding frozen berries rather then fresh makes it less thick :)
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    I buy the plain greek yogurt and prefer the no fat.
    It's great to use instead of sour cream in cooking, in guacamole, on baked potato, and in soups like borscht or chili too. When I want yogurt or a quick breakfast, I throw berries into it of whatever kind is on hand. I can thaw berries and use them with the yogurt and haven't felt that I needed to add honey to it for it to taste good.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Lately Ihave added fruit, Kashi go lean, and coconut. Another one that is deliscious is add peanut butter and cocoa powder, gets that chocolate fix, at least for me.
  • skwhatley
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'm buying some of the fage tomorrow to try. Hopefully I prefer it over Chobani. Loving the ideas!
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have always hated plain yogurt so I buy vanilla yogurt. My favorite is Oikas for greek yogurt. I tried yogurt a few months ago and haven't bought any other kind since!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Fage Total whole fat plain, hands down. The fat-free and even 2% is too runny and sour for me, regardless of brand. I like the whole fat Fage because its really thick, fluffy and not as sour. The single serving has 10g of fat with 18g of protein whereas the bigger tub has 11g of fat and 20g of protein.

Banana Blueberry Cinnamon
    1)Add 1/2 mashed banana and blend in well then toss in 1/2 cup blueberries with some ground hazelnut and a bit of Saigon cinnamon.
    Banana CinnaBun Bread Pudding
    2)1/2 serving Fage Total: Add CinnaBun flavored protein powder, Ozery Morning Round cinnamon raisin bun, 1/2 banana and a bit of Saigon cinnamon.
    CinnaBun and Oats Milkshake
    3.1/2 serving Fage Total; Add CinnaBun flavored protein powder, 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 1/2 cup coconut milk and splash of maple extract.