How do you log your food?

Options
I was logging my meals the other day and I'm not sure why but I am a bit picky as to how I log it. For example, for supper, I will usually put the main part first, like the chicken or steak or whatever. Then the side dish and/or vegetables. If I log a salad I will always put the lettuce first, then any other veggies I add, then the dressing. I guess for me, this makes sense so that when my friends want to take a look at my diary, it makes sense ya know?

So, I am just curious, does anyone else have any "quirks" when it comes to logging their food?

Replies

• Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I just am picky about making sure i have the right "food, drink, etc' selected. I want to make sure I have the right amount of calories calculated, If I choose the wrong food or drink I could be doing myself harm rather than good.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i make sure i'm selecting the proper amount and brand, etc, but i don't care about what order it goes in. it's all there and that's all that matters to me. :)
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    i used to search things in the order i thought the parts of the dish should go in but now i just select things based on their order in my 'most used' list. when i make protein pancakes it shows up as 4 eggs, 1/2c cottage cheese, 1/4c oats, and 2 sausage links. must look confusing as crap but i know what i ate haha
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I just am picky about making sure i have the right "food, drink, etc' selected. I want to make sure I have the right amount of calories calculated, If I choose the wrong food or drink I could be doing myself harm rather than good.

Yes, this too. I scan every food, when I can (iPhone app). Then I check to make sure the calories and stuff all equal.
  • superfitconball
    superfitconball Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Not so picky with logging it, but I decided to get a food scale to make sure I was actually logging what I was eating correctly, and was surprised at how different what I thought was100g and what really was 100 grams. So now I'm definitely picky about weighing things before logging.
  • konamouse
    konamouse Posts: 21
    Options
    I pick from my "most common" list first. Then from my "recent" list. Then add a new food if needed (I'm pretty boring and repetative most days so that makes it easier to log these days).

kona
    Registered Dietitian, Crossfit Masters
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I start with anything that might be in my recent or most used column and click that cuz it's easiest. Then, I do searches for the rest. Gotta check the info. on those searches, though. Sometimes people just put in calories or carbs and not the full nutritional info. and sometimes they just completely screw up the numbers. It's not just all about calorie counting for me - I am also tracking my macros to make sure I'm getting everything I need in my diet. So when someone leaves info like protein and fiber and whatnot out, it skews my whole system.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Not so picky with logging it, but I decided to get a food scale to make sure I was actually logging what I was eating correctly, and was surprised at how different what I thought was100g and what really was 100 grams. So now I'm definitely picky about weighing things before logging.

I do this now too. Been using a food scale for about three months now, since I saw a post about the difference it was making. It IS amazing how much a serving is. I put some walnut pieces in a salad and was shocked at how little the serving was...and it was lots of calories.
  • Angelpacheco
    Options
    I haven't found most of what I've eaten. I sometimes just go with what is near what I've eaten & closer to the calories. I never go under the calories but always make sure if anythingnto go a little over.
    Say it's a Birrito (Bean & cheese) I log it as something I'd get from Taco bell... :o) I should probably log each item.... Makes more sense now that I've read all your comments. :o)
    Thanks