New to MFP... Need some support and motivation...

Options
Hi my name is Laura. I'm 21 years old and eager to loose the weight I've put on thought my time in college. I've let myself go and need some support. I have no friends willing to commit to a workout program with me. This site looks awesome and like it will help but I don't know where to start. I don't know how to count carbs or protein?? I just don't know what to do.... I'd greatly appreciate the help!

Replies

• pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    There are 3 big hurdles:
    1. Remember to only eat a serving portion as stated on package. Use a measuring cups and a scale to get the right portions.
    2. You have to do some kind of exercise. I really enjoy the walking videos by leslie sansone. they give me a lot of options for whatever time i have to work out from 15 min (1 Mile) or 1 and 15 min (5 miles) or all in between.
    3.Record every single thing you eat and how much you exercise. Weigh yourself daily on a scale at the same time. Keep a record on here. Every week, re-measure your body.

You have to do this for you and no one else.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

If you stick with it, this website can change your life. My ticker tells the tale. I have lost 50 lbs. in 8 months. You may not have that much to lose, but the website can make your journey to fitness a lot easier.

One way to get more familiar with how to get the most from this site would be to read some posts specifically for new users. To get there, click on the "home" link next to "recent posts" on this page. Then click on the forum title "General Diet and Weight Loss Help. There are several posts at the top of the page that comes up that are marked by a little red thumb tack. Read those posts and they will give you good info.

As far as the message boards are concerned, once you post on a thread, you can easily find it by clicking on "my topics", which is next to "recent posts." Remember if you post a question or comment, check the thread later for an answer or other response.

I hope this will give you a good start.
  • pelechaty2010
    Options
    thank you so much for the advice... I really have no idea what to do but the advice is very helpful
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    Hi!

Start with small changes in your food, if you have to.

Log everything you eat-- everything. Get some measuring cups and even a scale (if you can). They're not that expensive (I paid 25 for mine). You'd be surprised what an actual serving of some things really are.

Make an exercise schedule and stick with it. Have mini goals.

Don't entirely cut out any certain food-- you're more likely to binge later on. Portion control is the key.

Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day-- bc it's bound to happen, no one's perfect.

Reward yourself when you meet your mini goals-- not with food, though.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Welcome. This is a great site to learn about how to be healthy!

I would disagree with one piece of advise given though. Don't weigh yourself every day, weight flucuates so much. Weigh yourself once a week at the same time, or twice a week at the same times. Measure yourself now, your measurements will be a more accurate reflection on how you are doing that your weight.

Being 22 I know its hard to loose weight during this time of your life. My advise, cut out alcohal if you drink it. I only drink once a month now as a treat because it was killing my weight loss.

Good luck!
  • nat1908
    Options
    I agree with ase14.........DONT wiegh your self every day that scake will drive you nuts! your bidy measurements are alot more important than your wieght. Little steps add up. good luck on your new journey and were here for support. :happy:
  • aabelein
    aabelein Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    welcome Laura!!:flowerforyou:

I agree also. Dont weight yourself everyday. i weight in on Sunday's. I lose on average about 2 pounds a week. So when i get on the scale and see it went down 2 pounds, it makes me all giddy! if you were weighing yourself everyday, you probably wouldnt feel so good about what you've accomplished because you wont see it like that. you will see half a pound and quater of a pound something small. it makes it feel more worth it when you do it just once a week. Also, i dont ever measure my food. I just eat until i feel like i'm getting full. then i stop. you dont want to over eat. i think it works, i've lost 50 pounds since July! just make sure you get in at least 8 glasses of water and try to get in 20 to 30 mins of exercise a day. You can do this!! Good luck!!:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I do a wii fit body test daily. I need to see the little weight loss everyday because it shows me why I am getting up early to do the exercises.

If you find that you need the daily motivation, then go ahead and weigh yourself.

I have started my diet and exercise program on Dec 1 and have lost 4 1/2 lbs to date. I am very pleased with myself.