low carb question???

Options
I'm going to try a low Carb approach to losing weight since the scales not moving. Can I read some of your diaries if your doing the low Carb gig so I can get ideas???
Thank you

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What is the low carb approach to losing weight? Does this offer some physical advantage over straight calorie-counting?
  • jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm not currently doing low carb...I have in the past and it worked great. Until I decided to eat carbs again lol. I ate a lot of chicken, broccoli, steak, eggs, hot wings (I know that's horrible! lol), salad, non starchy veggies, etc. I kind of modified it though...I was still eating fruits which if you do Adkins are a no-no for at least a little while because of all the natural sugars in them. There are lots of low carb recipes out there if that is the route you decide to go...google some =)
  • jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Options
    What is the low carb approach to losing weight? Does this offer some physical advantage over straight calorie-counting?

I no longer even try low carb. It works great if you plan on giving up most carbs forever or if you do it right and actually slowly wean yourself back on carbs (but only the "healthy" ones). I did not do either one of those...I went on a cruise and ate anything and everything I wanted. I gained back everything I lost and then some. Plus, most people eat a lot of fat when they do low carb because on low carb it is totally acceptable to have bacon and eggs for breakfast. In my opinion (and everyone has one), low carb is more of a "diet" thing opposed to a "lifestyle change"
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You can look at mine. I eat paleo, but I keep my carbs low (less than 50). You can also join the Low Carb group on here so you don't get all the anti-low carb comments :)
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Woops -- double post
  • hlouisej
    hlouisej Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi,
    I have cut out carbs in so much as I no longer eat bread, pasta, anything with wheat, rice or potatoes or cereals. I still eat fruit and veggies which give you some carbs. I'm also trying to follow the principles of Paleo so I've also cut out diary. My diet basically consists of meat, veggies, nuts, eggs, fish and fruit.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently doing low carb...I have in the past and it worked great. Until I decided to eat carbs again lol. I ate a lot of chicken, broccoli, steak, eggs, hot wings (I know that's horrible! lol), salad, non starchy veggies, etc. I kind of modified it though...I was still eating fruits which if you do Adkins are a no-no for at least a little while because of all the natural sugars in them. There are lots of low carb recipes out there if that is the route you decide to go...google some =)

yep me too.. been there done that.. i honestly and just over the 'cant have'... i want what i want/like.. but less and in moderations.. and if im told i 'cant' have.. like carbs.. then i want them more.. esp after a few days... and anytime i did the low carb I ended up gaining the wt back i lost and more :/.... and the way im working out now too since mfp theres now way i would want to.. but yes can go online for a lot of recipes.. and get like sonoma brand carb cutting toritllas... stuff like that
  • d1n13b
    d1n13b Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a friend in Canada who was very obese and she has lost half her body size on the low carb but she's an exellent cook and found lots of alternatives. Different strokes for different folks, I know others that have tried it and apparently it does work so if you are happy to cut out the carbs or reduce them then I'd say give it a go. I tend to do alternate days which works for me.