30 days of Insanity/Body Revolution: NOT ONE POUND DROPPED?

Options
Hey everyone-

So my weight loss journey for the past 2 months has been this.
Month one: 30 Day Shred with maybe 3-4 days of 20 minute cardio in addition. Weight: 162
Month one goes by, feeling great: Weight 160

Didnt measure inches lost but I took pictures and they looked great :)

I start Insanity this month and do a 30 minute strength routine (the strength is every other day) for a total of about 50-60 minutes: Weight loss after 30 ish days: 160 lbs

Didnt measure inches either but took pictures and my day 1-20 pictures look great too.

Would anyone mind explaining why there is no budge on the scale? I only weigh myself once a month every 30 days, I was really hoping to see at least a couple pounds lost but Im slightly disheartened that I see no change weight wise.

On MFP it says my calorie cap is 1300 but I use a Bodymedia Fit Armband, so I dont really follow the calorie cap, I just use to to make a daily estimate, but I assure you I have an accurate deficit of about 500-900 every day. Im actually eating roughly 14-1700 calories a day. I eat very on point and am very good with my macros also.
Any idea what the deal is? Surely this cant be "muscle"?

Replies

• annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    yep it is. your body is changing composition, you only have 18 lbs to lose. dont stress. im in the same boat. i have weighed the same for three months! you are probably tall right? you look really close to goal. so you are losing fat, gaining muscle. dont worry about the scale at all, its more important that you keep taking pics and start measuring. good luck!
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I was stuck at the same weight for about a year. the last 3 weeks I have gained 5 pounds. However, I have lost 9 inches all over and am considerably more muscular than before. Even though I weigh 170 I wear the same pants that I wore when I was 135.

I think you are gaining muscle so don't worry. You say you feel great so just keep at it.

I always ask myself would I rather be an out of shape 125 pound gal or a 200 pound toned and muscular fit gat.
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    yep it is. your body is changing composition, you only have 18 lbs to lose. dont stress. im in the same boat. i have weighed the same for three months! you are probably tall right? you look really close to goal. so you are losing fat, gaining muscle. dont worry about the scale at all, its more important that you keep taking pics and start measuring. good luck!

Man I wish I could tell you I was tall but Im not Im super short. Well, pretty short. 5'5". I started at 164 I think and would like to get to 130-140.

So its REALLY muscle?? I have such a hard time believing that! I hope you are right! You look great btw in your picture!
  • wolveslovemee
    Options
    I was stuck at the same weight for about a year. the last 3 weeks I have gained 5 pounds. However, I have lost 9 inches all over and am considerably more muscular than before. Even though I weigh 170 I wear the same pants that I wore when I was 135.

I think you are gaining muscle so don't worry. You say you feel great so just keep at it.

I always ask myself would I rather be an out of shape 125 pound gal or a 200 pound toned and muscular fit gat.

Yeah I suppose you are right in that aspect :)
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I just looked at your profile pictures and you were in good shape before but the day 11 pics are amazing. You got a lot of muscle going on. You should be ecstatic!
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    you totally lost inches!!!! toning.. too bad you didnt measure :sad:
  • wolveslovemee
    Options
    I just looked at your profile pictures and you were in good shape before but the day 11 pics are amazing. You got a lot of muscle going on. You should be ecstatic!

I guess I should! Im sorry I just did that whole "the scale says I didnt lose weight" thing! I know I know. Kinda crappy of me.

These are my Day 1-20 of Insanity results:

2dhv9kh.jpg

I mean...there is a difference. Just absolutely mind numbing to me that the scale says the same weight.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Me too! I`m working out and eating well. I look better for sure! But lose weight? Not one pound. So if you keep working out for one year or something, can I expect to get to my goal weight. ?

I`m 5 8 and 187lbs now. goal weight is around 144. I`ve been the same weight now for 5 mo. Sooo frustrating. But the scale doesn`t matter so much if we look better.

But if my goal weight is 144 how will I ever get there? What it just decides to start losing at some point because my diet and exercise are good. What ? one month in? no, 2 mo. in?

Is this what happens to some people. I have lost nothing! But my body is changing. But I am way overweight.
    Our question is will we ever get there?
  • matt_h76
    matt_h76 Posts: 39
    Options
    As mentioned, it is almost certainly muscle weight and also possibly water retension, both of which are normal. Its also normal to actually put on weight when doing workout programs because of the extra muscle weight gained. By chance your body is staying at the same weight, when it replaces fat for muscle. But it could well even put on weight, due to the extra muscle, which is perfectly normal.

Also the more muscle you develop the more efficiently your body will burn calories. As mentioned, it is better having a heavier body with muscle, than a lighter toned body with less muscle.

You look amazing by the way, in both your before and after pics :). Dont get disheartened. You can certainly see changes. Good luck with it.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Dont let yourself get discouraged!!! In your pics you can definately see a change!!! Muscle weighs more than fat and I think you are doing a gret job!!! Keep it up!! :)
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Starting insanity monday... How many days a week should I do it for? Just starting out?
  • wolveslovemee
    Options
    As mentioned, it is almost certainly muscle weight and also possibly water retension, both of which are normal. Its also normal to actually put on weight when doing workout programs because of the extra muscle weight gained. By chance your body is staying at the same weight, when it replaces fat for muscle. But it could well even put on weight, due to the extra muscle, which is perfectly normal.

Also the more muscle you develop the more efficiently your body will burn calories. As mentioned, it is better having a heavier body with muscle, than a lighter toned body with less muscle.

You look amazing by the way, in both your before and after pics :). Dont get disheartened. You can certainly see changes. Good luck with it.

Thank you so much :) I really appreciate it.
  • wolveslovemee
    Options
    Dont let yourself get discouraged!!! In your pics you can definately see a change!!! Muscle weighs more than fat and I think you are doing a gret job!!! Keep it up!! :)

Thank you very much also :)
    I will try and not get discouraged. I just am totally surprised. REALLY thought Id see at least 3 pounds down haha!
  • apachebat
    apachebat Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Keep going! Beyond looking better, think about how much better you feel too. I'm about a month into my fitness journey and feel little discouraged about my lack of weight loss too. Then I think about how much my body has changed in terms of strength and endurance. Big changes going on! You just ran a 5k in the heat for goodness sake! You got 10 lb weights! YOU'RE AN INSPIRATION!

Chin up, sister!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    The scale lies with intense exercise. You look great. Ignore it.

You're not 'super short'! I think 5'5" is the average height of a woman. LOL
  • wolveslovemee
    Options
    Thank you guys very much.

What annoys me is literally JUST yesterday I read that in order to say "oh I gained weight from muscle" or "its muscle" you need to be doing a LOT of weight lifting at high weights?

I just dont see how the muscle retention negates the effect of body fat loss which should say at least a pound or two.
    I read this from the New Guide to Weight Lifting for Women?
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    There was an article posted on here recently about why people tend to gain a pound or two when they start an intense exercise program. I think it was by Chalene johnson so you could google it.

I started insanity on June 25, and lost absolutely nothing the first three weeks. And then this week...four pounds down! I have been tracking measurements and body fat also and those were going in the right direction so I wasn't too concerned.

Also, I've heard many people don't lose much until the second month anyway.
  • wolveslovemee
    Options
    There was an article posted on here recently about why people tend to gain a pound or two when they start an intense exercise program. I think it was by Chalene johnson so you could google it.

I started insanity on June 25, and lost absolutely nothing the first three weeks. And then this week...four pounds down! I have been tracking measurements and body fat also and those were going in the right direction so I wasn't too concerned.

Thanks!
    Yeah I read this article she wrote, but she said that should dissipate within 2 weeks, however, you are right with the Insanity thing. Seems to be a common concern among Insanity users. They all say week 4 and / or the second month is when they see the scale change.

Thank you for confirming that its not just me though! I needed to hear that. Ill just keep going and hope the scale moves.
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 1 of Insanity. I haven't officially redone my measurements but I weigh myself everyday and so far nothing at all. I have talked to my friends that have completed the Insanity workouts and they said they never noticed much change during Month 1 but Month 2 the inches and weight dropped off like crazy. I have one friend who didn't need to lose much weight at all and she lost 5lbs and a total of 10 inches from her body when she finished. I say keep taking the pictures and start measuring and look at those numbers instead of the scale. (Easier said than done I know. LOL)
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I have heard this too. I did ChaLean extreme about 2 years ago, which is similar to what youre doing it combines plyo work and strength training, and actually gained in the first month. I lost some in the second but not what I was expecting, then dropped a ton in the third (Its a 90 day program). I've heard similar things about Insanity and P90x.

Personal Note: I did ChaLean several times after I lost the weight, and really recommend it if you want more focus on strength training than insanity offers. I am here now losing bc before when I hit my goal I stopped counting calories, and after about a year I got bored with doing chalean (after 4x in a row) and when I went on my own I slacked off and eventually most of the weight came back.