Smoking?

Options
Can smoking lead to weight loss or weight gain I am just curious. I didn't know if there were studies out there for this.

Replies

• fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Smoking can lead to weight loss and stopping is often associated with gain. Obviously smoking won't help you have a healthy life style (with the blood pressure, heart disease, cancer, making you smell bad, infertility, impotence, etc) but neither will being obese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_smoking_for_weight_loss
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, is it because the cravings for a cigarette normally leads to someone finding similar comfort in food, or is there another reason?
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    you only gain weight when you stop smoking, out of hand boredom. If you can keep yourself busy while stopping smoking you wont be tempted to put food into your mouth.
    All the benefits you will gain from stopping smoking out-weighs any small weight gain.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    you only gain weight when you stop smoking, out of hand boredom.

Not true - Nicotine is an appetite suppressant and also burns calories. Eat the same and you will put on weight. You need to make adjustments to your diet too

http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/weightgain/a/weightgainquit.htm
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Nicotine is also a stimulate giving energy. Reduces stress for some (whilst stopping increases stress). Whilst stress may not (or may) increase weight, it means people are likely to opt for unhealthy salty fatty snacks - so care should be taken in this area.
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    put it in simple terms, it is easier to lose weight than to remove the damage done to lungs by the smoking. I work in respiratory medicine and see daily the damage these little sticks do. True not all my patients are smokers or exsmoker but I would say 90% are.