I am afraid of my scale.

Options
I have always worked out but the last 3 weeks have been dedicated to the Butt Bible. I have lost 9 inches in those 3 weeks. However, my scale says I gained 5 pounds.

Why is it i let the scale dictate my mood? I tried avoiding the scale and it never lasts. I am addicted to jumping on the thing every morning. I even had someone hide it from me and I ended up going through everything in order to find it.

It is just so depressing when the needle goes up when you are working your butt off. I feel like i need to start starving myself so I can lose the last 35 pounds.

Replies

• JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    the scale sucks! It doesn`t know you. To it you are the same as a rock. Yet you my friend are much smarter than a rock. Don`t let it beat you up. You are the master!
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    You have good reason to be afraid of your scale. It has the power to make or ruin your day/week. It lies to you and tells you that you've "lost weight" when in fact you've just been for a long pee, and it tells you that you have "gained weight" when your fat starts to melt and you build muscle. I personally would avoid it unless there are loooong intervals between visits, and instead use your clothes and mirror as your guide. I bet "those last 35lbs" wouldn't actually be 35lbs if you used your clothes and mirror instead.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I weigh 170 and wear the same size pants that I wore when I was 135. However, being 5'1 and seeing 170 is frightening. Plus I had a doctor tell me I need to be 99-103 for my height. That is never going to happen!!
  • ShadowSP7
    ShadowSP7 Posts: 53
    Options
    The main reason why the scale does not budge when you are exercising and dieting is because at the same time you are burning fat you are gaining muscle. You said you have lost 9 inches, so you are doing something right, if you are doing anytime of strength training, then it is most likely that you are gaining muscle at the same time.

I try not look at the scale so much but like you I cant help myself, I try to weigh myself at the end of the month, but I usually break down by the end of week to and weigh myself.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Why do doctors tell us this stuff? Just to make us feel bad. That and the 1200 cal diet recommendation is a real mood killer.

I went on a starvation diet and was finally the right weight for my height. I still didn`t like the way I looked. The scale and the bmi charts are just guidelines. Our reliance on measuring everything isn`t doing a favors to our psyches.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I haaate the scale. Instantly ruins my mood.. I used to hop on it every morning and now I don't even want to look at it. My lowest weight was 114 and I was so happy about that. Then I started upping my protein intake and started strength training and the scale number started going up.. generally it reads 120 now.. and I remember how I looked before at 120 and just seeing the damn number totally skews my perception of myself. I KNOW that I am smaller now than I was before but it can really screw with one's mind when the numbers just keep going up.. ugh and I weighed myself two days ago at the gym and was 122..

Why are we so obsessed with the number? People out there in the real world that see us would probably assume we weigh less than what the scale reads. When people ask me my weight (or my pants size.. I'm a size 6.. curse of the big hips) they are always shocked. I have a couple friends whose bodies I have always been jealous of before I decided to get in shape.. they weigh around 130 lbs and I would have pegged them for 110-115 because they are so fit. When I was 130 I didn't look nearly as good as them. I try and tell myself that as long as I'm exercising and eating right it shouldn't matter if the scale goes up as long as I can still fit into my clothes and look good wearing them.. but it's SO easy to let that damn number screw with my head.
  • milhawk
    milhawk Posts: 9
    Options
    I was letting my scale adjust my moods, until my trainer told me to not give it the power!! She told me to only weigh once a week. She said as women we always fluxuate anyway. So, I have taken her advise but somehow the scale always seems to have that power to put me in a funk!! I have been working out soo hard and the stupid thing will NOT move!! n I don't know what to do anymore!:huh:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think I have to just get zen about my daily way ins… I am smaller size wise than I was in my last year of college.. (no small feat for a 53 year old) I am striving to keep my long lean musicales, strong bones and I am going along with the experts that it weighs more than fat but in a smaller package!

While the scale can make me mad because it doesn't line up with the inches that I keep losing, I don't let it guide my mood anymore. I do think it is part of my daily routine for life, just like recording my food and my exercise daily.

I am on maintenance, (phase III or consolidation on Dukan) so the scale is only going up 1/2 a pound some days, but still….I just exercise more that day. I am told to just expect that the rest of my life...
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    scale.jpg
  • Claribel1
    Claribel1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10 and my doctor said 90-100 for me. I haven't weighed that since I was in high school. I'm just trying to get back down so I can fit into my old wedding dress for my anniversary in October. So frustrating.