Marathon Newbies Group week two!!!

Options
This week i had a little difficulty getting in training and that made it tough for me which is ok in my early weeks i only cranked in about a 15 mile week, unfortunately...

Replies

• running_girl_84
    Options
    I've moved back to Canada where there is snow so I got in a good 5 miles yesterday, putting my weekly total at 28 miles. I ran on the dreadmill today at the gym but it times out at 30minutes so I only got in 3.85 miles and someone was waiting to take over my machine. GRR!
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi all, can I join this group. I love running and would like to join a new group of runners. I think I'm running a half in march, so this would be a good start :)
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    So is this a wannabe group? I am training for a half so far...
  • vanimami
    Options
    Oh btw, I ran just 2 miles this morning after spinning, I might run a couple more miles this afternoon to get my dog's energy out, so we'll see.
  • skpenn
    skpenn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd like to jump in here myself. Am currently training for a half in January, so my mileage will be a bit ahead of the group, but this is my first serious attempt at running and need all of the tips and how-to's I can get.

Happy jogging!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Oh btw, I ran just 2 miles this morning after spinning, I might run a couple more miles this afternoon to get my dog's energy out, so we'll see.
    oh absolutely join and cute shorthair!!!! love those dogs!!!
  • FitJoani
    Options
    I'd like to jump in here myself. Am currently training for a half in January, so my mileage will be a bit ahead of the group, but this is my first serious attempt at running and need all of the tips and how-to's I can get.

Happy jogging!
    thats what were here for halfies and fullies next year-support groups are always great
  • FitJoani
    Options
    I've moved back to Canada where there is snow so I got in a good 5 miles yesterday, putting my weekly total at 28 miles. I ran on the dreadmill today at the gym but it times out at 30minutes so I only got in 3.85 miles and someone was waiting to take over my machine. GRR!
    I hadda miss my sunday runday cause of a freaking SUPRISE ice storm. blah. and wprked all day so i couldnt even do the dreadmill
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Have a goal of 18 miles for the week, and got in 3 today on the dreadmill. Stupid darkness after work.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Have a goal of 18 miles for the week, and got in 3 today on the dreadmill. Stupid darkness after work.

HA! My goal last week was 17 and I got 2 in - chalked it up as a do - over! Repeating last week....will be running 2 miles tomorrow, 7 miles Thursday and 8 miles Sat or Sunday.
  • vanimami
    Options
    oh absolutely join and cute shorthair!!!! love those dogs!!!

Thanks, yes, I do love them too :love:

I got in 5 miles this morning on the treadmil and I didn't end up running the extra 2 yesterday with the doggy. I MIGHT do it today, but geesh, it's chilly out there, but I have to adjust :sick:
  • vanimami
    Options
    Hi all, no running today. The back of my thighs are sore from yesterday, not sure from running or yoga, but will get back into it tomorrow :smile:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Havent ran my full schedule since 1st week of December....schedule kept conflicting because work was so busy...past the deadline on the project I was on I'll be back to norm soon I hope....I've had a terrible sinus thing for over a week now.....aargh...hoping to run 2 miles today.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Finally got myself together and hit my mileage goal for last week...it was only 10 because of all the holiday business, but a goal reached is a goal reached.

I signed up for two half marathons in 2010, still debating about the full...but thinking about Richmond or a trail run in Baltimore next November if I do.

This week's goal: 16
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Well I have officially run more this week than the last 3 combined....I've run a 2 mile and a 4 mile run...this weekend will be a 6 miler. Registered for the ING Atlanta Half Marathon on 3/21/10....excited to have committed to it....now I "have" to do it - right?!
  • Nikki_Z
    Options

Bah! I live in the Great White North as well. I just wear layers (lots!) and watch out for ice patches - and I am not a winter person by any means! It's kind of a beautiful thing to go running after a new snowfall.

I'm currently training for a 100mile bike race in May, my first Triathlon in June or July, and hopefully my first Ultramarathon in the late summer or fall.
  • chrissyh
    Options

Bah! I live in the Great White North as well. I just wear layers (lots!) and watch out for ice patches - and I am not a winter person by any means! It's kind of a beautiful thing to go running after a new snowfall.

I'm currently training for a 100mile bike race in May, my first Triathlon in June or July, and hopefully my first Ultramarathon in the late summer or fall.

what do you do about wet feet??
  • Nikki_Z
    Options

what do you do about wet feet??

I wear two pairs of socks usually, one pair a little thicker. I find snow doesn't make my feet all that wet - it's better than rain. It's worse in the spring when it all turn to slush. Then I just try to keep my feet as dry as possible and avoid the puddles - at least until I'm close to home.

Now that I think about it, I don't worry about wet feet when I'm training. Because there's nothing you can do on race day when it's raining and cold, and you've paid $60 and there's a giant puddle in front of you and no way to get around it!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I hoped you had something magical to tell me about keeping my feet dry. I have found I cannot get the guts to run outside with this cold here....I am in NC and yesterday our high was low 20s....high this week is low 30s....I've run at 33 but no lower - guess I am going to try Wed afternoon to run outside rather than treadmill....put 12 miles on the treadmill last week this week goal is 14 miles....hopefully not all on the dreadmill again this week but I'll do what I have to.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. I would like to join this group. Last year I tried to run my first half marathon but 2 months before the race I injured my hip and had to take 2 months off from running. I am taking the training a bit slower this time and working in some 5 and 10K's in the mix.

This week is a 9 mile week. This morning I did 2 miles with a headlamp and it was 25 deg F outside. However, the sky was clear and the stars were pretty. I don't do any mileage on a treadmill and will go out and run regardless of weather conditions. I live in the high desert so I don't have to worry about bad weather often, but I am training at 6000 ft above sea level.

Happy running.